logmyflight.net - New personal flight logger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

logmyflight.net - New personal flight logger

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Sure! Here is a summary of the new features. Basically, the back-end code has been rewritten from the ground up to make it more reliable while the front-end has been enhanced as well to improve the user experience. The most noticeable changes are the following:

* Improved security and speed throughout the website (around 20-25% gain in velocity for most of the pages)
* New databases to cope for the increasing number of flights
* General improvement of the design, to take advantage of the larger screens
* Completely new and redesigned dashboard
* New data available when logging a flight: the marketing flight number and the aircraft nickname
* New point system (each flight logged gives you a number of points depending on several parameters) used for the general rankings of the different users
* No more business class membership, only the first class upgraded membership will be available from now on
* Two new charts, for the arrival times and the duration of the flights
* Several new awards and achievements
* Possibility to login using either Google and/or twitter
* Improved bulk flight editing directly from the data table
* Improvement of the process to import new data from Tripit
* Major improvements to search for reviews in our database (such as the possibility to mark any review as useful)
* Moving from Google Maps to Mapbox for all the maps, as a result of Google's new pricing policy
* New notification system
* Website completely translated to Spanish as well
* Importation of custom CSV files for a fee
* Less ads for the non-upgraded member

If everything goes according to what is expected, this new version should be released for everyone around the 15th of January. Stay tuned!
FlyingHighlander and PAX_fips like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: LH M+M
Sounds awesome and +1 for moving away from Google ;-)
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:36 am

Great list of changes ^
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I really appreciate the kind reviews
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I just started checking this out today and it's pretty good. I haven't really used a tracking website in the past so I had to manually import and add all my flights to make sure they were accurate. I liked the Tripit import feature and the CSV import worked pretty well. I had to import some stuff from my United MileagePlus activity into OpenFlights and then import the OpenFlights CSV into LogMyFlight.

I wish there was a dashboard like on MyFlightRadar24 where we could see number stats. Total miles flown, hours, days, etc. The graphs show this data but there is no easy place to look at the numbers. The Data tab would be a great place to have this information at the top, and would be nice to filter by year, month, etc and have the summary change according to the filter.

Keep up the great work!
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this review and suggestions! Actually, the new version (currently in beta) offers a brand new dashboard showing you exactly this, if I understand you correctly. I have attached a screenshot so that you can see it for yourself and let me know if this is what you expected. It will not be possible to filter the data though, I need to think if it would be possible to include such a feature before the release in just a few weeks.

Anyway, if you want to access the beta version to try it out for yourself just let me know and I will send me an email with instructions.
Merry christmas and happy new year to everyone!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
That looks cool! Yeah something like that is what I was thinking. It's nice to see the lifetime data, and the filtered one is cool for year end reviews. I think users would find it useful to be able to have a similar dashboard to screenshot showing the results of the last year of flying and compare with previous years. I'd love to have access to the beta. I'll dm you my e-mail address.

Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Great! I sent you an email to access the beta version. By the way, as you can see in the previous screenshot, at the bottom left of each panel is a green (or red) number. This represents the change since the same date a year ago, so that you can see immediately how the different numbers/statistics changed during the past year.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Loving the new dashboard, although I can only dream of hitting some of the new achievements! Three initial bits of feedback...

With the new 'Awards' page, once you hit the highest level (i.e. 5 stars) the same message appears - "You have reached the top level! Try now to increase your ranking.". Previously it used to then list your ranking but now it doesn't. Any chance getting that back to make it a little quicker to see?

Also, the 'Fly bigger (2)' achievement doesn't seem to have registered on my account (of the same name as here). This is despite having logged an A380-800 flight on 22nd Jan 2108. Feel free to take a look if you wish although hopefully may next A380 flight next week will tick that one off!

Finally (and apologies if I've missed something obvious) but what drives the 'earned points' figures?

Great work though, thank you!!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this first review! Indeed, I have just put the latest version of the website online for everyone. Hope you will like it

About the awards page, you can still see your rankings: you just need to click on the double arrow symbol that you can find on the right of the "awards" title. If you don't find it, feel free to use the guided tour button, as it will show you where it is. I decided to hide by default this text as the page was starting to get really big with the new awards, but I can of course change this back if you guys think it would be better.

Thanks for reporting the issue with the fly bigger (20 achievement! It should now work fine.

You can get an explanation about the points in the add page, in the "anything wrong?" panel, if you click on the text "How is this calculated?". Basically, you get a fixed amount of points per flight (depending on its category: national, international or intercontinental). Then you get a bonus for the distance, and for each review left (plus a bonus for upgraded members). This might change a bit in the future, so if you have any suggestion, just let me know. Anyway, I have just added this explanation to the dashboard as well, I understand it was challenging to find.

By the way, right now I have realized you might need to clear the cache of your browser for some features to be picked up. I am looking into it to make sure this is not required any more.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: LH M+M
The login page defaults to french?

I like the new map (and look in general) and the SPEEDUP! Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by logmyflight
About the awards page, you can still see your rankings: you just need to click on the double arrow symbol that you can find on the right of the "awards" title. If you don't find it, feel free to use the guided tour button, as it will show you where it is. I decided to hide by default this text as the page was starting to get really big with the new awards, but I can of course change this back if you guys think it would be better.
Ahh yes, I see that now. My bad for not bothering with the 'guided tour' which is actually pretty good! I see what you mean about the page being quite big now though. Rather than adding the text back permanently, would it be possible to remember a users preference? Or perhaps add a 'padlock' so a user can specify for it to remain expanded each time?

Thanks for reporting the issue with the fly bigger (20 achievement! It should now work fine.
Yep, all good now. Thank you.

This might change a bit in the future, so if you have any suggestion, just let me know. Anyway, I have just added this explanation to the dashboard as well...
I quite like how the explanation works on the dashboard and get it now. I'm glad you're not awarding extra points for flying in the premium cabins! I shall ponder any other suggestions...

By the way, right now I have realized you might need to clear the cache of your browser for some features to be picked up. I am looking into it to make sure this is not required any more.
FYI, I didn't need to do this; running Safari 12.0.2 on a Mac.

One more small point, in the guided tour on the awards page, when you get down to 'Leaderboards' the comment says "...at least, if the user set his profile has public...". You may wish to change that to "at least, if the user set their profile to public" :-)

I'll be using the site a fair amount over the next few weeks so will let you know if I see anything else! Thanks again.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevebintley
Ahh yes, I see that now. My bad for not bothering with the 'guided tour' which is actually pretty good! I see what you mean about the page being quite big now though. Rather than adding the text back permanently, would it be possible to remember a users preference? Or perhaps add a 'padlock' so a user can specify for it to remain expanded each time?
Sure, it's a nice idea. I have just implemented this, now your choice should be saved in your browser.

Originally Posted by stevebintley
One more small point, in the guided tour on the awards page, when you get down to 'Leaderboards' the comment says "...at least, if the user set his profile has public...". You may wish to change that to "at least, if the user set their profile to public" :-)
Thanks for reporting this! This was definitely an error. Anyway, as you have probably seen, English is not my first language so feel free to report any error you might find using the dedicated contact form. By the way, I was thinking to gift a premium membership to an interested English speaking user to check the language in the website. If you are interested, just let me know!

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
The login page defaults to french?
This was a bug indeed. This should be fixed now, let me know if it's not the case.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:48 am

If you are interested, just let me know!
Of course, I’d be more than happy to help! I’ll be sure to use the email banners to try get more users on those leaderboards too!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Great! Thanks a lot! I will now PM the details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.