Community
Wiki Posts
Search

logmyflight.net - New personal flight logger

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
more stuff:
Boeing 737-800 for some entries 738 for other entries (for example). Have you standardized aircraft yet?

"Top 10 Aircrafts"
Should be "Top 10 Aircraft"

My top ten in order are - huh?
Code:
Top 10 
- Aircrafts -

Position	Aircraft	     Number	Percentage
1	              0	            35	        11.67%
2	              1	            21	        7.00%
3	              2	            20	        6.67%
4	              3	            12	        4.00%
5	              Embraer 175    11	        3.67%
6	              4	            11	        3.67%
7	              5	            11	        3.67%
8	              6	            10	        3.33%
9	              7	              9	        3.00%
10	              8	              9	        3.00%
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:41 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The update looks good, it is easier and quicker to enter data and on my computer, the speed of page access and drawing is at least multiply by 2 to 3. So good work

Originally Posted by thegrailer
ping AY in airlines does not retrieve Finnair.
Agree about that, the auto-completion is not great. In airport typing FRA does not retrieve Frankfurt.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! Will do my best to answer all your comments.

To thegrailer

Typing AY in airlines does not retrieve Finnair.
It's now working. The system built is actually working, except in some cases when two or more airlines share the same IATA code (this was the case for Finnair, because Flybe Nordic was incorrectly (?) registered as having the 'AY' IATA code as well). For the moment I then decided to leave the airline field blank in this case, but I might instead decide to "autoselect" the first result which appears (the selection will then be wrong sometimes). I'm still not sure which solution is better. Any idea?

Edit causes airline to disappear - e.g., edited AY5 to change A332 to A333. selected and clicked modify one flight. airline was blank. similar to that noted above.
This is a problem similar to one flagged by another user on this thread that I haven't been able to reproduce so far. I will try to investigate a bit further on the origin of the problem.

Add Departure and Arrival time to column selection --- EDIT: found that in settings. "Tricky" (not really but can't think of a better term) having some columns selectable on the main page on others in profile. Edit 2: Departure/Arrival time still not selectable - not a choice in either (?).
You're right. In the data page, the column selection was actually temporary and reseted every time the page was refreshed. Now that I've added a better permanent solution, I've remove the selection of the columns from the data table. In the settings page, I've decided to only show for the moment only the columns that are less frequently used, but might add some more columns during the next few days (such as the departure and arrival time).

Still looking for a differentiated Economy Plus vs. Premium Economy. E+ is a nice catchall but AA Main Cabin Extra is not similar to CX Premium Economy
I've been implementing the premium economy option this morning already. I will test a bit more this new feature this afternoon, to make sure everything's fine.

Boeing 737-800 for some entries 738 for other entries (for example). Have you standardized aircraft yet?
My top ten in order are - huh?
These two issues are actually related. I don't know exactly why yet, but it seems that the aircraft name was not saved correctly when you (and other users) imported their flights. I've just fixed it in the database and will investigate to avoid having this problem in the future again.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:15 am
Original Poster

To Muckael

Originally Posted by Muckael
I think you can get a free (?) Let's Encrypt certificate, but I'm no expert on this. I just feel more confident if I see a green lock next to the website
Nice, I didn't know this company. Thanks! However I will first look into it in details before starting any action: the last thing that I want is to see the website made inaccessible because of a certificate issue. First I focus on correcting the bugs that are reported, and once the version 2 stable enough I will look into it.

I'm actually talking about the panels in general, reducing the size of the charts just sightly should be fine.
Noted and added on my todo list. Problem is that it's something which will keep me busy for a while, since I need to update the sizes and then check that everything's fine on different screen sizes.

IMO some pie charts can be replaced by a simple counter or a smaller bar chart, I don't really need a pie showing my seat types. But of course this comes down to personal taste. Maybe you could let the user choose how certain data will be displayed on the profile in the future or maybe even give the option to enable or disable certain data?
Nice idea as well. I kind of like the pie charts (as you might have guessed ) but this is something I will keep in mind and think about once the version 2 stable enough as well.

And at least on my Full HD screen the width is not fully used.
I've set the maximum width of the website to 1200px. The version 1 didn't have this restriction and didn't look really good on large screens, so unfortunately, this is not something that's going to change.

To fransknorge

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Agree about that, the auto-completion is not great. In airport typing FRA does not retrieve Frankfurt.
I tried typing FRA and it seems that Frankfurt was successfully retrieved (in sixth or seventh position, however). I could easily make the search much more efficient by displaying only the results which have an IATA code matching the 3 letters introduced, but I thought it was nice to be able to search for airports by typing their name directly as well (especially if you don't know the IATA).

Cheers!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:26 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I tried typing FRA and it seems that Frankfurt was successfully retrieved (in sixth or seventh position, however). I could easily make the search much more efficient by displaying only the results which have an IATA code matching the 3 letters introduced, but I thought it was nice to be able to search for airports by typing their name directly as well (especially if you don't know the IATA).

Cheers!
I guess this boils down to personal matters and I can see your point. Personally I really prefer that typing the IATA code means an airport is there first in the list. This is what most flight booking engine, search engine, Flightaware, etc ... do. I am fairly happy with those as they match to IATA, City name code (TYO for Tokyo) and full name, and present the list in a smart way that usually what you want is at the top.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:02 pm

Here is what happens when typing in airport codes - can't determine if this was answered above () -- should ORD be near the top or do I need to start by typing C H I C A G O for Chicago and then ORD will appear?

Also, more kudos for the improvements. I like ^^^

Cheers
Attached Images  
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:16 pm

What mountain is in the pic on the personal charts page?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:24 pm

One more request/question: Is there anyway to leave part of the date blank? I flew decades ago where I remember the route and airline but only the year (maybe month too). Back then I flew once/twice a year and those trips stayed in my memory (as opposed to now where it's C1-C2 twice in a week). I also have old DL data that shows posting date rather than travel date - so I have the correct year, maybe the month, but not the day.

Cheers -

Last edited by thegrailer; Jan 25, 2017 at 1:30 pm
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

As suggested, I've decided to change a bit the search system for the airports. Now, when you type your three letters the following happens :
1) If the letters match an IATA code in the database, only the result having this IATA is displayed (meaning that typing 'ORD' only displays Chicago as a single result)
2) If no match is found, then the system searches for matches in the database according to the name and the location of the airport.
Hopefully this will solve some problems

I've got no idea which is the mountain on the picture, this is actually a generic picture coming from the images bank Shutterstock

No, for the moment you can't leave any part of the date blank. It would be a great addition, but not possible for me to implement right now since I'm focused on different tasks and since it would require to change many parts of the code... Added to my todo list, to be done over the next few weeks, along with the possiblity to import flights from Tripit.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:46 pm

Awesome --- for the reply alone. Doubly awesome that you listen to the users.

Looks like I will have lots of flights on the first of the month lol ---

Thanks

Cheers
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Hi guys! Some quick news about what's been going on during the last few days on Logmyflight.
  1. Since English is not my primary language, I've got an American friend currently busy browsing the website to make some corrections. If you spot something, don't hesitate to let me know as well, as this definitely helps a lot.
  2. As suggested by some users already, I've just bought a SSL certificate to increase the security throughout the website, by moving it to the HTTPS protocol. Hopefully, I will be able to set up this certificate sometime this week or early next week.
  3. It's now possible to leave a public when modifying a flight.
  4. As promised, it's now also possible to add some flights even though you don't remember the complete date of the flight (when you choose the date of the flight, you can stop after selecting the year or the month, if you don't remember the exact day, for example). I still need to test a bit more this feature, but it should already be working for everyone.

Cheers!

EDIT : the SSL certificate has now been installed on the server. You can now access Logmyflight more securely using the following url : https://www.logmyflight.net. See you there!

Last edited by logmyflight; Feb 1, 2017 at 7:36 am
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:11 am

Hello -----

I like the way the site is running. Now if only I had time to enter older flights

Cheers --
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your support, it means a lot to me

I got to say I don't have the same problem as you have. I've haven't travelled this much so time is not really an issue. The hard part consists in searching in all the emails and files kept over the years to find some data to add to my flights... Not an easy task!

By the way, here are some of the features I've been working on since the last update :
  • First of all, I've hired an English native speaker for a few hours and he corrected most of the grammar/vocabulary mistakes throughout the website. It should look (a bit ) more professional now.
  • I've also created a blog, in which I'm going to put the major updates and milestones of the website. You can keep in touch by accessing it here : https://www.logmyflight.net/blog
  • As required by different users, it is also now possible to modify some data of your flights directly from the data table, without having to access to the "modify" page. This is a feature reserved for the first class members though (at least at first).
  • Finally, I've just added today in the "more" page a new map showing the flights currently taken by members of the website.

As always, I'm quite busy with all of this but any suggestion is more than welcome
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:31 pm

The "modify selected flight" button at the bottom of the page doesn't seem to work -- just noticed that.

Cheers
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:12 am
Original Poster

The "modify selected flight" button at the bottom of the page doesn't seem to work -- just noticed that.

Cheers
I'm not really sure to see what you mean. I've just checked and it seems that both "modify selected flight" buttons are working? (for both the previous and future flights table, I mean). What do you mean by "it's not working"? Thanks!

Last edited by logmyflight; Mar 8, 2017 at 7:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.