Search

Where the Widebodies Fly [WATT]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Where the Widebodies Fly [WATT]

Cribbed from my site: http://blog.wandr.me/2016/02/where-the-widebodies-fly/

Looking for flights within the US operated by widebody aircraft? Here’s a relatively easy way to find them.

Just plug in a travel date – the other three fields are optional – and you’ll get back a list of the routes scheduled to fly with a widebody that day.

The underlying data will refresh every week or so, I hope, to stay current.

And, because I can, some random stats about domestic widebody flights:
  • American Airlines currently has the most scheduled, edging out Delta Air Lines by about 4%. Hawaiian is in third thanks to its massive long-haul operations from the islands.
  • Based on the same reasoning above, HNL has the most domestic widebody departures followed by LAX, MIA, SFO and DFW. JFK doesn’t make the top 5 (largely because AA now has the A321T with Flagship Service on those transcons)
  • Snowbirds, Spring Breakers and Spring Training fans in Detroit and Minneapolis get 767 service to Ft. Myers this spring; I would have bet against that if given the opportunity.
  • Frequencies vary notably by day of week and by season:

Domestic US Widebody Flights by Date
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Really cool site sbm12. Thank you!!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: most of them
that is pretty cool. I might also like to compare something like 2x2 RJs vs 3x3 737s or A320s on a given route for example. But I suppose that's easy enough to find anyway
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Great build/find, sbm12. Very curious if the tech/code underneath this tool is translatable to searching ultra long-haul routes out of a given airport on a given day(s).
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Great build/find, sbm12. Very curious if the tech/code underneath this tool is translatable to searching ultra long-haul routes out of a given airport on a given day(s).
Just some SQL queries against a database of flights. You want something like all the 6000+ mile flights in the world? There are 603 such routes operated by various carriers (counted once for each carrier who flies an overlapping route but not multiple times if a single carrier flies it more than once).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by sbm12
Just some SQL queries against a database of flights. You want something like all the 6000+ mile flights in the world? There are 603 such routes operated by various carriers (counted once for each carrier who flies an overlapping route but not multiple times if a single carrier flies it more than once).
Wow! Where/what is this database of flights that includes every ULH?

And am I getting this right: there are 603 ULH (i.e. >6k mi) flights across all carriers? (Is this per day, per week, other?)
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Wow! Where/what is this database of flights that includes every ULH?
Not generally available to the public.

And am I getting this right: there are 603 ULH (i.e. >6k mi) flights across all carriers? (Is this per day, per week, other?)
Currently published to operate at least once through end-of-schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.