Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replacement for FlightTrack?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, 3.7MM
Originally Posted by NucMed
Hi, I don't know, I was hoping someone else had paid up to find out ;-).

As far as I can see, neither appear to have close to the same functionality that FlightTrack had, or FlightBoard.

Ah well, just have to get used to dealing with whatever is closest ... PITA
Yup, I paid for Flight+ (now Flight Tracker). As far as I could tell, the only difference was the ads.

Yes, this is a massive PITA and none of the existing products are nearly as good as FlightTrack Pro was (I never made the move to v5, as the original one was better).
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by artemis
True, but I don't want to install airline apps on my phone for airlines I rarely use. What was great about Flight Track Pro is that it worked for all airlines.
I see your point, but how much of an inconvenience is it to remove and reinstall the app when you do use that rare airline? It'd probably take me less than a minute to find and install any airline app.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by techie
I see your point, but how much of an inconvenience is it to remove and reinstall the app when you do use that rare airline? It'd probably take me less than a minute to find and install any airline app.
Issue I have with this is that the airline rarely updates as fast as FlightTrack Pro did. I mean, I got delay notices/gate changes well before it showed up at the actual gate, let alone the respective app.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by BThumme
Issue I have with this is that the airline rarely updates as fast as FlightTrack Pro did. I mean, I got delay notices/gate changes well before it showed up at the actual gate, let alone the respective app.
I hope that you reported this to the airline in question so that they can improve their app.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
I gave up with the app. It's info is inconsistent and well, didn't work properly, especially for me who uses LHR quite a bit. . Contacted the app developer who admits they are constantly trying to keep it updated and running smoothly, but can only do so much. They are currently working on improving the app, and also looking at options to improve our flight data and accuracy.

In the meantime, my search continues.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, 3.7MM
Originally Posted by xvirginx
I gave up with the app. It's info is inconsistent and well, didn't work properly, especially for me who uses LHR quite a bit. . Contacted the app developer who admits they are constantly trying to keep it updated and running smoothly, but can only do so much. They are currently working on improving the app, and also looking at options to improve our flight data and accuracy.

Which app?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:27 pm

Oops, It's FlightTracker+
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:57 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Agree that this was a great app. First hobbled by TripIt and then it just melted down.

Flightview is my current replacement. Not quite as good, but haven't found anything better.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by edcaya
I'm currently trialing out App in the Air -- so far, so good, but you really need to pony up in order to get the most from it.
Since end of February I have tried all the flight tracking app I could possibly find on the App Store, and for me in Europe the winner is app in the air. Of course you need the paid version and I'm missing some features from flighttrack like statistics. flight+ also called "flight tracker" would be my second choice but until now it never gave me any gate information nor gate change
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:23 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by edcaya
I'm currently trialing out App in the Air -- so far, so good, but you really need to pony up in order to get the most from it.
I'm looking at it too. I like the integration with Tripit and the ability to mine my email. I can't seem to find a flightboard option like the FT Pro app used to have. It was useful for FAA status at airports and inbound connections if nothing else.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:41 am

I've found "miFlightBoard" on the App Store - not perfect but gives gate info and very much like the old "flightboard" which existed previously. It's not free but I needed to find something that actually worked.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
I've found "miFlightBoard" on the App Store - not perfect but gives gate info and very much like the old "flightboard" which existed previously. It's not free but I needed to find something that actually worked.
I downloaded the "free" version and its basic. A turn off for me is the RED arrivals and departures columns. Red is meant to be a delayed flight. I think they need to change th color scheme like a time traffic light. I'm on the fence with the paid versions though..
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I saw they have a 3.99 version of "mi Flight Tracker Pro" - can anyone comment on this? From one of the pictures, it at least looks like it shows a map of actual flight path

Edit: Bought it, going to give it a try. It looks kinda messy, but it appears to have the information I'm looking for. It's hard to love again after being dumped, but maybe this is the right one. Some really quick thoughts: despite looking very ugly, this has a lot of potential. I did see that under options, I can turnoff codeshares (and change time to 12 hours); it also has the option to display air time or gate to gate time. The app shows tail numbers for flights as well, and actual flight maps. The only thing is, I'm not sure if it has push notifications? I've added a flight to depart in 2.5 hours, will see what happens, but this appears to have some promise.

On the downside, I can only search historically a couple days, and I have to save a flight to view the details.

Double edit: So...there doesn't seem to be any type of push notifications. I used UA 1767 DEN-DCA as my example. The flight ended up pushing back 5 minutes early, and has a gate arrival of about 20 minutes early currently. mFTP didn't have any of that updates as of 9:50 am (5 minutes after scheduled pushback); re-searching for the flight did show the updated information, but I hope I don't have to search every time I need updates.

Triple Edit: Flight did update correctly (on its own) for takeoff, BUT, no push notifications. If the app had push notifications, I would point everyone to the app this second. Looks like it might be "Flight Tracker (formely Flight+) for push notifications, mFTP for all my detailed info."

Last edited by BThumme; Mar 22, 2017 at 10:03 am
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Agree that this was a great app. First hobbled by TripIt and then it just melted down.

Flightview is my current replacement. Not quite as good, but haven't found anything better.
I've been using FlightView for the past month. I travel weekly with a round trip and each trip having two legs--so four flights total. It's not bad but having used FlightTrack for so many years, I know what I'm missing. I passed along some screenshots and suggestions to the FV team and hope they'll incorporate them some day.

My pet peeves:
  • I always liked the widget function that provides summary information quickly. FV shows the flight numbers but no gate or time info in the widget. Also, no calculation of the layover time
  • Similarly, once you bounce to the app itself, you get detailed info about each leg, but no info about the relationship between the two. I appreciated how FT would allow you click through a flight combination, showing you the takeoff and landing times as well as gate info in a seamless stream
  • The are no airport terminal maps
I spent the few bucks on the ad-free version. Still on the hunt...
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:29 pm

TripCase anyone?

Originally Posted by mmcmah
Yup, I paid for Flight+ (now Flight Tracker). As far as I could tell, the only difference was the ads.

Yes, this is a massive PITA and none of the existing products are nearly as good as FlightTrack Pro was (I never made the move to v5, as the original one was better).
None of the other apps I've tried or read about in this thread seem able to serve as a replacement for FlightTrack for me.

I've been fiddling with the TripCase app this afternoon and so far that seems like it might tide me over until something more akin to FlightTrack shows up. Has anyone had longer experience with it and if so could you share impressions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.