Reload this Page >

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Flights - Changes, Updates, Glitches and Help [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Zorak
You can use the "Times" drop-down menu and sliders to narrow the departure/arrival timeframe to something desirable.
I'm aware of this but sometimes redeyes still manage to pop up when flying transcontinental with connections.

ITA Matrix has a redeye argument so I was hoping Google Flights might have similar.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ralphs
I'm aware of this but sometimes redeyes still manage to pop up when flying transcontinental with connections.

ITA Matrix has a redeye argument so I was hoping Google Flights might have similar.
Not that I recall, but if you exclude both late night departures and also early morning arrivals, I would think that gets the job done in most cases even involving a connection? Unless it's a double connect maybe.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Zorak
Not that I recall, but if you exclude both late night departures and also early morning arrivals, I would think that gets the job done in most cases even involving a connection? Unless it's a double connect maybe.
Yes, this works most of the time, but I still see some redeyes. Hence my original request.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:28 am

Is that the map feature gone now too? (mobile version). I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I was annoyed to be forced to use this new, ugly, extremely slow monstrosity, now I'm at the point where I've given up and just wish they found themselves new project and stopped working on it altogether... It's bad, but just leave it already, it's worse every time you touch it!

To destroy a good thing for no reason whatsoever. They must have too much time on their hands.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by skyhighlander
...To destroy a good thing for no reason whatsoever. They must have too much time on their hands.
Actually there is a reason, and GF now discloses it in every search result -- they are being compensated by travel providers.
If travelers were GF's paying customers, they would be doing what's good for the travelers.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Actually there is a reason, and GF now discloses it in every search result -- they are being compensated by travel providers.
If travelers were GF's paying customers, they would be doing what's good for the travelers.
Fair enough, however I do not see how preventing to enter multiple IATA codes seperated by comma’s in one go -which I used to do and recently found impossible- benefits those travel providers.
This is still possible but now you have to enter one 3-letter code, wait a while for search result, then add another 3-letter code, wait a while, etc.
It was so much quicker and easier and once again I fail to understand how the perfect way it once worked would be a disadvantage to those travel providers.
Paella747 and BThumme like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Great_circle
...I fail to understand how the perfect way it once worked would be a disadvantage to those travel providers.
As far as the ticket buying & searching, we are at the opposite ends of the transaction. Any tool that gives advantage to the buyer is automatically a disadvantage for the seller. GF put themselves in the middle of this somewhat similar to the mob. At first they just trashed the sellers business by giving the buyers a free access. Now that sellers are willing to pay up for some protection, GF has to make things more difficult for the buyers without shutting down the traffic completely.
angra and Great_circle like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:02 am

Google Flights and booking flights via the phone

I've been looking at business class seats from JFK to FCO for a potential trip in May 2019. Google Flights is suggesting combinations like Virgin Atlantic and BA (JFK-LHR-FCO), however when it comes time to book, it gives me Virgin's phone number. Is this something I can actually do via the phone (given that both airlines are competing brands) or is it Google just being weird? I looked up the flights separately but could not find a price anywhere near as cheap as the combo.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by racerx777
I've been looking at business class seats from JFK to FCO for a potential trip in May 2019. Google Flights is suggesting combinations like Virgin Atlantic and BA (JFK-LHR-FCO), however when it comes time to book, it gives me Virgin's phone number. Is this something I can actually do via the phone (given that both airlines are competing brands) or is it Google just being weird? I looked up the flights separately but could not find a price anywhere near as cheap as the combo.
You can use a TA or you can try and recreate the fare using ITA Matrix and the find a way to book using ITA Power Tools or, more easily, BookwithMatrix.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but GF likes to error out on me when doing perfectly valid multi city searches. Results show for a split second, and if you don't click them in that split second, it will error out. Being able to click a result though makes it magically work.

Just another disappointment.
Paella747 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:50 pm

I also noticed that GF started to supress certain search results. I was looking at some routes between US and Africa the other day, and the fully expanded view of results showed no flights by the ME3 -- which was a bizarre outcome. Had to go to the multi-city option to get the desired flights.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
GF has become increasingly useless as features have been progressively gutted. Today I saw that the Explore option (where you leave the destination empty but specify the dates) now ignores the dates and defaults to 'any time in the next 6 months'. Then you have to go back and fix it for the dates you actually want.

For anything other than vanilla returns or one-ways you should just forget it, and even for those you can no longer rely on them as they withhold results.

Google basically took the 30 pieces of silver and turned a decent tool into a big heap of useless.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:24 pm

What is a better alternative to Google Flights? I suspect that user friendliness has taken a backseat to monetization but I'm not sure what's better.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
What is a better alternative to Google Flights? I suspect that user friendliness has taken a backseat to monetization but I'm not sure what's better.
If you don't care about the aircraft flown (or willing to check it seperately, or later) - Skyscanner's not too bad. They now allow multi-city searches, so at least they're moving in the right direction.

I still use Google Flights for few certain things, but when it comes to majority of simple searches I just have no time or patience for it anymore.

Last edited by skyhighlander; Sep 25, 2018 at 12:02 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Google Flights - setting dates for search

Google Flights recently changed their search options (for me, anyway). When I enter specific dates and click search, the program defaults back to a "one week trip within next six months".

Is there a way to change the search default to accept the days I want, without having to fix it every time?

I should add this only happens when I do a broad search without a destination selected. It doesn't happen when I choose both departure and destination airports.

Last edited by DavidDTW; Oct 1, 2018 at 11:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.