Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Web Based Route Mapping Tool (inspired by Airline Route Mapper)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: /usr/bin

I posted a link to an earlier version in the Airline Route Mapper thread, but I don't want to hijack cockpitvisit's thread any more than has already been done.

AirlineRouteMapper is one of my favorite tools of all time, but it's challenging for me to run since I don't use Windows, and the data has been somewhat stale lately. As an experiment, I set off to write a website with similar functionality.

This site uses the timetables that the oneworld, SkyTeam, and Star alliance publish, so for those three alliances, the data is current as of this posting, and it should be easy to keep up-to-date. For non-alliance airlines, it uses the OpenFlights data which comes from AirlineRouteMapper.

http://airports.croz.us

Caveats:
  • The site is implemented on top of Google Maps with mouseover functionality, so it's not very phone/tablet friendly
  • Star alliance flights do not contain equipment information since my data source doesn't include it

For those who prefer to use AirlineRouteMapper, I can provide a routes.dat file that has the updated routes from the three alliances. If there is interest, I can post a download link.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:22 pm

nice tool

That's quite a nice tool....Very useful. Seems they have all information saved in the frontend and it still runs fast
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by gt_croz
For those who prefer to use AirlineRouteMapper, I can provide a routes.dat file that has the updated routes from the three alliances. If there is interest, I can post a download link.
Please do!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Here's the routes.dat files for AirlineRouteMapper with the latest SkyTeam, Star, and oneworld alliance:

http://storage.googleapis.com/croz-s...les/routes.dat

Disclaimers:
  • "Direct" flights (which may involve a stop, like ATL-LAX-SYD) are listed in the timetables that the alliances publish without any designation that there is a stop, so this data file includes routes like that.
  • Equipment is not known for flights on Star Alliance - it will show up as ???
  • There are some airports/equipment code that AirlineRouteMapper will complain about at startup, but you can ignore
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:37 pm

Very nice. That site is super handy.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Thanks for the site + data. Great to have some updated info!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Wonderful! Thanks for doing all the work.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
This is a great tool!

Quick question: is it possible for you to make the lines connecting airports a little bit thicker (they seem to be one pixel wide)? The reason is that on high res screens they barely show up... (mine is 3200x1800 and has 120dpi)

To clarify: I mean the width of lines when you have not yet selected an airport by clicking on it (once one has fixed the airport, everything is fine)

Last edited by cygnus; Jun 9, 2015 at 3:50 pm Reason: added clarification
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
This is a cool site, and really useful but is anyone else seeing routes that don't exist?

It is showing direct SAN-FRA, SAN-MAD, and SAN-CDG - I assume it's same flight numbers from SAN to a hub like ORD or JFK where the same carrier operates the TATL portion too.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
This is a cool site, and really useful but is anyone else seeing routes that don't exist?

It is showing direct SAN-FRA, SAN-MAD, and SAN-CDG - I assume it's same flight numbers from SAN to a hub like ORD or JFK where the same carrier operates the TATL portion too.
Yeah, unfortunately as mentioned in post 4, the alliances publish routes without any indication of the number of stops. The tradeoff for fresh data is the inability to distinguish between direct & nonstop flights.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:36 am

Really nice! And really fast in rendering the routes. Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

The site has been updated:

• Updated route data for all SkyTeam, oneworld, and Star alliance routes
  • Categorized airports into 3 different sizes/icons based on number of routes
  • Clicking a route now takes you to the current timetable for that route
  • Added zoom buttons in the bottom right

The data for the non-alliance routes is pretty stale - it comes from the last update of the AirlineRouteMapper tool.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:13 pm

Looks good. You should remove all data for non-alliance member Transaero (UN)... they've gone bankrupt and stopped flying.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:20 am

Awesome ^^^^
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: QF gold, VA plat, SQ, NZ
Awesome tool you have created ^ and thanks for making it available for us all to use I just discovered it a couple of weeks ago and keep referring back to it.

I just wanted to ask if the link to the data file you posted is for the current version of the data, or if it links to an older data file (I see that you posted an update in mid Dec, but the download link was posted in April)?

Cheers

Originally Posted by gt_croz
The site has been updated:

• Updated route data for all SkyTeam, oneworld, and Star alliance routes
  • Categorized airports into 3 different sizes/icons based on number of routes
  • Clicking a route now takes you to the current timetable for that route
  • Added zoom buttons in the bottom right

The data for the non-alliance routes is pretty stale - it comes from the last update of the AirlineRouteMapper tool.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.