Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page > AwardFinder: Yet another award flight search tool

AwardFinder: Yet another award flight search tool

Old Mar 15, 15, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

AwardFinder: Yet another award flight search tool

Hey everyone.

A few weeks ago, I was searching for some award flights. After a few searches, entering all the info into different carrier sites started to get tedious so I wrote a simple app that would go out, perform my searches and aggregate the results for me. After using it for a couple of days, I thought that it might be useful for people in the same position and so I cleaned it up a little(very little), turned it into a Chrome app and am now releasing for you to use if you want to. The app is free

Features:
  • Carriers: BA(Oneworld), NH(*A), AC(*A), SQ, EY, JL(CX, AA, QF, AF, BA)
  • Search multiple carriers & cabins with one search
  • Date range search - up to 30 days
  • Save and load previous searches
  • Multi origin/destination search. One to many or many to one.

A few notes:
  • No SkyTeam – it’s been a while since I’ve had any SkyTeam miles. I don’t even know how to search for ST awards anymore. DL? AF/KL? You can search for AF awards using JL though
  • The search only returns availability for the lowest level of award redemptions

Visit the site: http://award.flights

Install the Chrome App

Give it a try if any of this interests you. If you run into problems, you can post here or email support at award dot flights

Last edited by blahter; Jul 12, 15 at 1:35 pm Reason: Updates
Old Mar 19, 15, 11:06 am

I'm very interested in this - but I'm honestly not willing to give you the passwords for my FF accounts when you're not yet established.

I'd suggest having an option for manual entry - that is, pop up a window with the SQ website for me login, then continue to use that session for each search until it expires.
Old Mar 19, 15, 12:05 pm

OK went and created some dummy accounts on BA and JL to test it out...

Neither JL or BA work based on what I've found so far. JL doesn't fill the forms on the website, BA doesn't get past the log in screen and loops over and over loading it.

I think there's a lot of promise in what you're trying to do - but you're far from having a product that anyone will pay for. And, the features that are (really) worth using this for are all in the paid section.

If you want, I am willing to work with you on testing during Alpha.
Old Mar 19, 15, 9:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Very similar to AwardNexus.com (free & paid versions) , and that doesn't require login info from us
Old Mar 19, 15, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ninegoodthings View Post

Neither JL or BA work based on what I've found so far. JL doesn't fill the forms on the website, BA doesn't get past the log in screen and loops over and over loading it.

I think there's a lot of promise in what you're trying to do - but you're far from having a product that anyone will pay for. And, the features that are (really) worth using this for are all in the paid section.

You know what? When you're right, you're right. I'm not really in this to make any money so I've made the app completely free. If you've installed the app, you'll get the update in a few hours(or sooner if you install/uninstall it manually)

Can I ask where you're located? I've tested it with a bunch of my friends in the US but haven't tested it outside of the US.
Old Mar 19, 15, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung View Post
Very similar to AwardNexus.com (free & paid versions) , and that doesn't require login info from us
I completely understand. You can open up the Chrome developer tools and look at all the network connections to see that the app doesn't ever connect to any other service. Also, I have dummy accounts to run award searches so my real accounts doesn't have any suspicious activity.
Old Mar 20, 15, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by blahter View Post
I completely understand. You can open up the Chrome developer tools and look at all the network connections to see that the app doesn't ever connect to any other service. Also, I have dummy accounts to run award searches so my real accounts doesn't have any suspicious activity.
I should do that too, create dummy accounts (or use my kid's account, ha) for award searches

It's not that I don't trust you, hopefully no offense

I'll give your tool a try later on since I now rarely use Chrome
Old Mar 20, 15, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

I should do that too, create dummy accounts (or use my kid's account, ha) for award searches

It's not that I don't trust you, hopefully no offense

I'll give your tool a try later on since I now rarely use Chrome
I completely understand. I'd be wary of sharing my credentials too. I do have dummy accounts I use for searching using this tool and others.
Old Mar 20, 15, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

This should be fixed now in v0.0.0.47. You can manually update it from the chrome extensions page or wait for it to update automatically. Let me know if you still have problems.
Old Mar 20, 15, 11:07 pm

Just tested it with BA and NH account, not bad, worked for me

NH results are strange, compared with Aeroplan or UA, any plans to use other *A programs? I know NH is most accurate, but it's useless for any 1+ segments
I haven't added SQ, is that even useful in general? I don't recall bloggers recommending SQ search

Passenger dropdown max is 2, is that intentional?

Will play with it some more and report back, but I like it, thank you

Questions
- what is debug mode?
- what is Gateway search exactly? 1-to-N and N-to-1 for what? does it search all ex-HUB flights?
Old Mar 21, 15, 9:54 am
Original Poster

NH results are strange, compared with Aeroplan or UA, any plans to use other *A programs? I know NH is most accurate, but it's useless for any 1+ segments
I've actually never used AC's search. Usually some combination of UA + NH works for me but if there is demand, I'll try to add it.

I haven't added SQ, is that even useful in general? I don't recall bloggers recommending SQ search
SQ search is just for SQ flights. Whenever I redeem awards it's usually to somewhere in Asia and my sister has a pile of SQ miles she lets me use in addition to transferring from Amex and Chase plus I like SQ. No other reason for it being there.

Passenger dropdown max is 2, is that intentional?
Not really. I just haven't gotten around to making sure all the carriers support searching up to X amount of passengers and 2 seems like a safe bet

- what is debug mode?
If you turn it on, you can actually see the app working - navigate to a page, log-in, run a search and see the results which is all the app does and also logs a bunch of stuff to the javascript console. It's hidden so that it doesn't clutter the screen but is helpful when trying to figure out why something isn't working

- what is Gateway search exactly? 1-to-N and N-to-1 for what? does it search all ex-HUB flights?
Say I want to fly ORD-SIN with the long-haul on SQ. Gateway search allows you to search JFK/LAX/SFO/IAH-SIN, in essence N-to-1 or 1-to-N without running a search for each city pair individually.

Similarly say you want to go US-HKG on CX: you can search JFK/EWR/ORD/BOS/LAX/SFO etc. - HKG and vv.

It doesn't search all ex-HUB flights. It also doesn't require you to search To/From a Hub. You can search on CX for example: JFK/LAX/SFO - SIN or KUL or BKK or CMB etc.

Will play with it some more and report back, but I like it, thank you
Thanks for using it!
Old Mar 23, 15, 4:44 pm

You know what? When you're right, you're right. I'm not really in this to make any money so I've made the app completely free. If you've installed the app, you'll get the update in a few hours(or sooner if you install/uninstall it manually)

Can I ask where you're located? I've tested it with a bunch of my friends in the US but haven't tested it outside of the US.
Thanks! I think that's a good move, at least until you add some advanced functionality.

Located in the US.

I was just writing that everything was still not working for me, when I tried a third time and... all the searches except JAL worked. And then I tried a fourth time and BA, JAL, and EY all came through.

Not sure what the problem is, but it looks like persistence may help?

I had the debugging window open for the last two tries as well.
Old Mar 24, 15, 9:11 am
Original Poster

I was just writing that everything was still not working for me, when I tried a third time and... all the searches except JAL worked. And then I tried a fourth time and BA, JAL, and EY all came through.

Not sure what the problem is, but it looks like persistence may help?
So how the whole thing works is by listening for when a page is done loading, filling a bunch of fields out and clicking a button. The problem is there's no one "this page is done loading" event that Chrome exposes. A "page loaded" event is raised each time something on the page is done loading , which in the case of newer sites is a lot of things since a lot of stuff is loaded asynchronously. The problem with JL and sometimes BA to a certain extent is that their search page does I don't know what exactly but makes it really slow.

If you go to the JL site manually and load their partner award search page, you can see it in action. It takes a few seconds for the page to be usable after it looks like it's done loading. The problem here is that if this "I don't know what it's doing" takes a long time, which can happen if the site is slow, there's a timeout in the app that says "after X seconds and I can't recognize this page since I can't recognize the elements on the page", assume this is an error.

This happens sometimes when the JL site is really slow but it can happen to all of them.
Old Mar 28, 15, 10:56 am
Original Poster

New release: Added AC for more *A goodness
Old Mar 28, 15, 2:41 pm

New release: Added AC for more *A goodness
AWESOME, thank you, will give it a try, now that flisea.com isn't working for *A/AC

EDIT/FEATURES
- we need to manually update the app to see the new AC option, yes? not sure if Chrome app auto-updates (like Google Play store Apps)
- can we add a <-> SWAP button between the Cities for easy reverse search
- change dropdown to at least 4 people?
- Is it easy to add DURATION or LAYOVER hours in results display?

The filtering and connection stops checkboxes are cool, but Filter may be a bit wonky
Should uncheck AC = remove AC-only segment, or remove any result with 1 AC flight?

Same thing with [Cabin] checkboxes. Uncheck Business = I still see results with J+Y vs. I'd prefer to only see Y-only results (I only did a Y search)

I love the new AC search and willing to pay if we can SCHEDULE alerts, ha ha

Last edited by jerryhung; Mar 28, 15 at 3:12 pm

Search this Thread