Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Hotel Hustle: The Hotel Award Search Tool [down until further notice]

Hotel Hustle: The Hotel Award Search Tool [down until further notice]

Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:22 am
Community Director Emerita

The distance button is not working for me in Firefox. The default is 50 miles or more, and I'd like to narrow that.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The distance button is not working for me in Firefox. The default is 50 miles or more, and I'd like to narrow that.
Doesn't work as in you cannot click on it or as in when you click nothing changes? Do the other filters work? What's the search term/dates? Feel free to PM if you'd prefer.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:56 am

I'm not finding Mauna Kea, part of the Marriott Autograph Collection. I've tried searching on the airport, KOA, and the zip code, 96743.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

I'm not finding Mauna Kea, part of the Marriott Autograph Collection. I've tried searching on the airport, KOA, and the zip code, 96743.
Might be specific to the dates you're searching. I see it just fine, whether searching without dates or for the night of Jan 19, 2016.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Might be specific to the dates you're searching. I see it just fine, whether searching without dates or for the night of Jan 19, 2016.
Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:19 am

Seth,

Awesome tool! Probably my favorite tool in this miles/points world.

I just want to give a couple gui suggestions:

1. I like to look at the list of hotels on the right to see which ones have great values. But I can't figure out easily their location on the map without going through each balloon. And on a busy map (like Tokyo) this is not easy to do. It would be great if I can click / hover on a hotel link on the right and the corresponding balloon marker gets highlighted.

2. For the hotel chain list on the left, it would be great if you have a "Clear All" button. I often want to just look at hotels from one particular chain. Right now, I have to make 8 clicks to clear all other chains.

Thanks for making this tool.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by privateuly
Seth,

Awesome tool! Probably my favorite tool in this miles/points world.

I just want to give a couple gui suggestions:

1. I like to look at the list of hotels on the right to see which ones have great values. But I can't figure out easily their location on the map without going through each balloon. And on a busy map (like Tokyo) this is not easy to do. It would be great if I can click / hover on a hotel link on the right and the corresponding balloon marker gets highlighted.

2. For the hotel chain list on the left, it would be great if you have a "Clear All" button. I often want to just look at hotels from one particular chain. Right now, I have to make 8 clicks to clear all other chains.

Thanks for making this tool.
+1 on #1
either click on Map and highlight the hotel on the list, or reverse (click on hotel in the list, highlight on the map). BOTH = even better

#2 is already doable by clicking the * besides the hotel chain
I know it's not clear, but I asked that earlier and was given the answer
Maybe change to "underlink" or change * to say "only" with underlink to display it better?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:46 pm

Thanks for the tip on clicks on the stars. Didn't know those stars were clickable.

I can already click on the baloon markers on the map and see its hotel info. It'd be nice though to make the markers more prominents. They tend to get lost in a busy map that has many similar colors.

Originally Posted by jerryhung
+1 on #1
either click on Map and highlight the hotel on the list, or reverse (click on hotel in the list, highlight on the map). BOTH = even better

#2 is already doable by clicking the * besides the hotel chain
I know it's not clear, but I asked that earlier and was given the answer
Maybe change to "underlink" or change * to say "only" with underlink to display it better?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by privateuly
This is something I've had on the product roadmap for a while. I just need to find some time to do it.

As for the icons, initially they were all numbered to help but people complained they were too big so I scaled them down to the smaller pins. Definitely a tough balance to strike there.

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 7, 2016 at 9:07 am
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:02 pm

This continues to be the mainstay when I am hunting for hotels.

Today, I was searching in the Valencia area. I know there is a Hyatt but it did not come up. I went to the Hyatt website, made sure that there were rooms available on the date in question. (It is sold out tonight but available tomorrow.)
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

This continues to be the mainstay when I am hunting for hotels.

Today, I was searching in the Valencia area. I know there is a Hyatt but it did not come up. I went to the Hyatt website, made sure that there were rooms available on the date in question. (It is sold out tonight but available tomorrow.)
I just did a search for Valencia tomorrow night and it is showing as available for tomorrow night at $179/8k/4k+$55.

That said, Hyatt is the most fickle of the brands and the search will not return Hyatt results far more frequently than I'm happy with. I continue to troubleshoot that issue but I do not really know what is broken so that's harder than it sounds.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:15 pm

The tool is not picking up Rooms Hotel Tbilisi, a member of Design Hotels, and bookable with Starwood points.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

The tool is not picking up Rooms Hotel Tbilisi, a member of Design Hotels, and bookable with Starwood points.
I see it in my search results when using the airport code (TBS) as the search term. Is there a specific date you're looking for and not seeing it? It is in the list but not on the map. I'll add the geo coordinates so it maps properly.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
I see it in my search results when using the airport code (TBS) as the search term. Is there a specific date you're looking for and not seeing it? It is in the list but not on the map. I'll add the geo coordinates so it maps properly.
I see it now. Thanks so much.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:36 pm

strange

Schiphol -- Amsterdam (AMS), July 2017
all Club Carlson hotels showed N/A (no cash prices)
They do show up with $ on CC's own website

Zero Stars Zero Stars Zero Stars Zero Stars Zero Stars N/A
Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam
Cash: $ N/A
art'otel amsterdam, by park plaza
PKPART Cash: $ N/A
Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam
Cash: $ N/A
actually, seems like all CC are broken. I tested PRG, YYZ as well - all showed N/A Cash
To be fair, CC website results layout seems different

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.