Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAkH
Welcome to the ITA-Matrix-PowerTools
*** About ***
The ITA-Matrix-PowerTools are a user script maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Features added to the itinerary details page:
  • convert times into 24h format
  • translation support
  • open fare rules in new window by default
  • price breakdown (base fare, taxes & carrier imposed surcharges)
  • editor mode (adjust cabin prior extraction)
  • multiple handy links (Seatguru, Planefinder, WhereToCredit)
  • new on page features like detailed mileage breakdown*, GCM-Map* and earned frequent flyer miles*
  • create links to various providers (OTAs / airlines / other tools) to try direct booking of your itinerary

Originally Posted by Error: Unable to find class IR6M2QD-k-i for itinRow.
If you see this error, currently you'll need to manually edit your installed script.

See posts from October 1st, 2018 for more information.
*requires background requests

The script may have lots of bugs and comes without warranty of any kind! Not all fares will be bookable or will price correctly in the booking engines. You are responsible for the money you spend - so double check your flights before purchasing AND use your sanity! Read this and the next two posts as an example: click

*** How it works ***
Using pure JavaScript we are "creating" some sort of hook that is periodically checking for page changes while working with the Matrix. As soon as you reload or leave the page the script stops (leaving the page or using the console-version) or starts from the beginning (using the userscript and perfoming a reload). Also this script is only running in these tabs/windows in which you are looking at the Matrix.
As soon as the script detects the itinerary page it reads its content - unless you activated the editor mode. It's parsing all the information found and creates - based on this information - several links to OTAs, airlines and other tools. Since we are able to remove, replace and add content to the page - we make them visible and clickable in a way you choose. By default there are no background requests.

*** How to get it running ***
There are three methods to install the script. All three below run exactly the same underlying script but are listed in order of installation complexity:

Method 1: Browser Extensions
Method 2: As a UserScript
It takes a moment to get it running but after that it will start automatically everytime you visit the Matrix and we will be able to store your settings. You will need to install a script manager.

Warning: Using a script manager and installing user scripts is a potential security risk - We need to mention it here.
Step 1: Install a script manager Step 2: Install the script
See the FAQ of your script manager how to install the script.
  • Through GreasyFork
  • Through OpenUserJS
  • Through GitHub: you should be asked whether you want to install it - make sure your script manager is running.
Method 3: iOS Safari Shortcut

Get the "Add ITA Matrix Powertools" Shortcut

Instructions much be run each time
  • Open ITA Matrix in Safari on your iPhone or iPad
  • Tap on the Share button in the bottom navigation
  • Scroll down through all the actions
  • Select Add ITA Matrix Powertools

Method 4: Console/Debug mode
You need to access the command line of your browser to execute the script. You can use either the regular version or the minified version. Just copy the entire text.

Chrome:
  1. Open Chrome DevTools: developer.chrome.com
  2. Switch to the console tab
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.chrome.com
  4. Run it
Firefox:
  1. Open the web console: developer.mozilla.org
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.mozilla.org
  4. Run it
Internet Explorer:
  1. Open the web console by pressing F12
  3. Paste the script into the command line - at the very bottom
  4. Run it by pressing the green triangle

*** How to use it ***
Once the script is running you should see a new line above the ITA logo:
Code:
Passengers (1a) Settings (v0.18) (Cabin: Auto)
As long as you see this line, there is no need to reexecute the script. Make sure to get used to the "Settings"-feature -> just click on Settings. Within the settings menu you can configure the script towards your needs/preferences. Enabling/disabling features and/or setting standard editions of providers on the fly. When using a script manager these settings should be stored and automatically load as soon as you visit matrix.itasoftware.com - but the passengers as well as the cabin detection will not be stored!
Your settings are "reloaded" everytime the itinerary details show up! If you want to use other settings, just get back to the flight selection and reselect your flights - the new settings will be used. This belongs to the passengers and cabin detection as well

Passengers:
The passenger count will not be taken from your search results! Use the passenger config on the upper left and make sure they are set before you get to the itinerary details. We had to do it this way because some providers require the age of children. But always make sure to search for the equivalent passenger count. There might be seat availability for one passenger but not for two!

Cabin detection:
You should set the cabin on the upper right to the appropriate main cabin you are looking for. Sometimes you will have economy/business class segments in mainly business/first class itineraries. These mixed itineraries make it hard to autodetect the main cabin - so you can set it manually.

*** Background requests - Privacy issues ***
Some features require to contact other servers. As long as you do not activate any of the autoload features within the settings there won't be any automatic background requests. You will have to initiate them manually. The following list will tell which features are contacting what server and what information will be transferred. All websites will know you are using this script und you are currently using the Matrix - what by the way applies to the link targets you click as well.
  • GCM-Map in inline mode - contacting gcmap.com (non SSL) providing full route data
  • WhereToCredit.com mileage accrual breakdown - contacting wheretocredit.com (non SSL or SSL - depending on whether you use the Matrix with or without SSL) providing full itinerary
  • Skimlinks affiliate links - loads a js script to adds affiliate ids to some links if and only if the "Support this tool" setting is enabled. If it is disabled, no external scripts are loaded
*** FT-Posts you should read ***
General statement regarding this script: click
How to fix class names yourself: click
Problems and limitations regarding pricing itins: click

*** Contributors ***
paul21, Steppo, IAkH, 18sas, Benchmarc and others!

I'd like to give special thanks to paul21 for starting this idea.

*** Latest Version ***
GitHub Repo

OR install directly: Executable Version minified

FYI
Steppo & IAkH (Adam Hwang) have full access to this repository.

Discussion - written by paul21:
The original posting can be found here, related to building links on delta's booking engine. The script scrapes the flight info from the itinerary (flight numbers, dates, class of service, price) and builds a link string to two booking engines (Orbitz/Delta). These links are the same links used by Google Flights (owns ITA) , Kayak, et. al. to drive purchases. I used the Google referrer codes in the scripts, so they should get the commission. It's beyond me why ITA doesn't have some form of purchase link. This a userscript, and like an ad-blocker, it modifies the way a page is viewed by editing DOM objects in the browser. Keep in mind that this tool is meant to do something you already do yourself, but to save time in the process. Any tickets issued by Orbitz/DL via these links could be issued via phone or web search. If the links work, you are avoiding a phone booking fee potentially.

Print Wikipost

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by st1575
Did you recently upgrade to Firefox 57 and GreaseMonkey4? The Javascript error highlights one of the changes necessary to make this script work under FF57/GM4. If so, that's the problem.

As stated upthread, you can install TamperMonkey as a temporary workaround.
That's probably it. I think my FF just updated (on its own). TamperMonkey seems to work.

Thank you
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:48 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Question:

I've got a fairly complex ITA Matrix itinerary I've been keeping an eye on and was preparing to ticket with American via their German/AP website. Previously (like for 6 months) the link on the right side of the Matrix search results page worked to send the selected flights/price etc over to the AA German/AP website. This afternoon I've been getting the following message:This site can’t be reached

i11l-services.aa.com took too long to respond.
Try:
Checking the connection
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Nothing appears wrong with either of the two machines I'm using - and I don't use a proxy server. Any thoughts? Is this recently 'broken' or is there a new configuration I need to load?

I've just now tried also a very simple fulfillment: FRA-DFW in January in business class - nonstop. I received the timeout error message.

This appears to have been a transient server issue on the AA side. The Amadeus site connection appears to be working now.

I appreciate the tool - and the steer.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nyc6035; Dec 15, 2017 at 4:30 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent question about using the ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search which did not involve the use of the user script was moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Tools Moderator
melrowgo likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:49 am

I've priced an itinerary for 2 pax but when I click through to Delta via PowerTools I get a booking page for 1 person. Any idea how I can fix this?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
<deleted by moderator> .

On the top left corner of the result page, it will say "Passengers (1a)". Click on that and change it to "2a" - then it should work.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 16, 2018 at 9:02 am Reason: Moot after posts were moved to the relevant thread
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Hello!

Can anyone advise if this site can easily get direct booking links? Any multy-city example link that can be extracted would be appreciated if so (can be manually modified I guess).

This is a travel agent based in Kaliningrad Russia. They still use the old booking system where you can select up to 3 airlines, but having just 4 segments in the search lines restrict the capabilities.

http ://y-k.ru/

Remove the space after 'http' please.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:49 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dmmdh
I've priced an itinerary for 2 pax but when I click through to Delta via PowerTools I get a booking page for 1 person. Any idea how I can fix this?
Welcome to FT! Have you changed the number of passengers at the top of the screen, before the search? This is in a little banner within the script. Just click the Passengers and a window will appear to allow you to change the number of passengers.

Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:55 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm struggling to get the Delta links to work. I updated to v.28 but whenever I try to click-through to Delta I get to the Advanced Search - Start Over screen. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
I'm struggling to get the Delta links to work. I updated to v.28 but whenever I try to click-through to Delta I get to the Advanced Search - Start Over screen. Any suggestions?
Do you have an example itinerary?

There were several changes and features introduced in v.28, written by different people, and there is a conflict between them which affects some Delta bookings.

One change attempts to mitigate some problems booking certain itineraries by looking at the booking cabin to select the correct cabin "identifier." A second change overrides this functionality by eliminating the cabin identifier from the booking URL to allow folks to more easily book non-DL airlines on DL.com.

There has been discussion among the authors of the conflicting changes about a fix to allow both methods, but no resolution yet. If you book a lot of Delta-only flights, you may wish to temporarily edit the userscript to restore the cabin-identifier in the booking URL.

To do this, you need to uncomment line 2421:

Code:
//deltaURL += "&cabin="+cabins[(mptSettings["cabin"]==="Auto" ? mincabin:getForcedCabin())];
by removing the leading slashes (//) to make it look like this:

Code:
deltaURL += "&cabin="+cabins[(mptSettings["cabin"]==="Auto" ? mincabin:getForcedCabin())];
If you use TamperMonkey, editing the script is straightforward. Click on the icon in the menu bar and choose "Dashboard" to get a list of installed scripts. To edit the userscript, choose the Edit icon on Actions. To go to line 2421, click the "Jump to line" button, enter "2421" in the box, and click "OK". Remove the leading slashes (see above to confirm you are editing the correct line) and then click on the Disk icon to save the changes. Close the tab and reload the ITA Matrix site.
KL803 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:25 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you very much st1575, that was an incredibly helpful post! I uncommented the line but the one itinerary I am trying is still giving me issues. Other itineraries seem to be working though - maybe it is just because this is only on VS or maybe the Kulula segment is the issue?

Do you have an example itinerary?
Here is what I am trying to get booked via the Delta link
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by TTT
Thank you very much st1575, that was an incredibly helpful post! I uncommented the line but the one itinerary I am trying is still giving me issues. Other itineraries seem to be working though - maybe it is just because this is only on VS or maybe the Kulula segment is the issue?
Your hunch seems correct. According to the fare rules for the VS flights (ZNRP7AMN):

Code:
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON VS.
That would seem to preclude ticketing on Delta.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:36 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your hunch seems correct. According to the fare rules for the VS flights (ZNRP7AMN):

Code:
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON VS.

That would seem to preclude ticketing on Delta.
You're absolutely right. I don't know why I didn't think to check the fare rules. I just assumed with the VS/DL JV ticketing could be by either carrier.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:14 am

Hi, looking to book my first tier point run. Worked out my itinerary with ITA Matrix.

Installed Tampermonkey and ITA Powertools and new links appear on the ITA Matrix itinerary page, so it looks like the powertools script is running fine

But when I click on the AA links, either an error is returned, or the AA page just spins indefinitely.

Any idea what I am doing wrong. I would post some screenshots, but the board won't allow me as my post count isn't high enough.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by kacheng
I'm having some issues with the handover to Lufthansa with ITA-Matrix-Powertools v0.27.
Because of upgrade possibility I'm choosing a specific booking class, however after the handover LH.com always goes into the lowest possible.
Anyone else having this issue?
I am facing the same issue
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by zen100
But when I click on the AA links, either an error is returned, or the AA page just spins indefinitely.

Any idea what I am doing wrong. I would post some screenshots, but the board won't allow me as my post count isn't high enough.
Did you click on "Resolve Timezones" before using the AA links? The latest version (0.28) introduced some changes to fix AA links, but you may still need to "resolve timezones" for AA.

Feel free to post an itinerary in "text" mode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.