Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAkH
Welcome to the ITA-Matrix-PowerTools
*** About ***
The ITA-Matrix-PowerTools are a user script maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Features added to the itinerary details page:
  • convert times into 24h format
  • translation support
  • open fare rules in new window by default
  • price breakdown (base fare, taxes & carrier imposed surcharges)
  • editor mode (adjust cabin prior extraction)
  • multiple handy links (Seatguru, Planefinder, WhereToCredit)
  • new on page features like detailed mileage breakdown*, GCM-Map* and earned frequent flyer miles*
  • create links to various providers (OTAs / airlines / other tools) to try direct booking of your itinerary

Originally Posted by Error: Unable to find class IR6M2QD-k-i for itinRow.
If you see this error, currently you'll need to manually edit your installed script.

See posts from October 1st, 2018 for more information.
*requires background requests

The script may have lots of bugs and comes without warranty of any kind! Not all fares will be bookable or will price correctly in the booking engines. You are responsible for the money you spend - so double check your flights before purchasing AND use your sanity! Read this and the next two posts as an example: click

*** How it works ***
Using pure JavaScript we are "creating" some sort of hook that is periodically checking for page changes while working with the Matrix. As soon as you reload or leave the page the script stops (leaving the page or using the console-version) or starts from the beginning (using the userscript and perfoming a reload). Also this script is only running in these tabs/windows in which you are looking at the Matrix.
As soon as the script detects the itinerary page it reads its content - unless you activated the editor mode. It's parsing all the information found and creates - based on this information - several links to OTAs, airlines and other tools. Since we are able to remove, replace and add content to the page - we make them visible and clickable in a way you choose. By default there are no background requests.

*** How to get it running ***
There are three methods to install the script. All three below run exactly the same underlying script but are listed in order of installation complexity:

Method 1: Browser Extensions
Method 2: As a UserScript
It takes a moment to get it running but after that it will start automatically everytime you visit the Matrix and we will be able to store your settings. You will need to install a script manager.

Warning: Using a script manager and installing user scripts is a potential security risk - We need to mention it here.
Step 1: Install a script manager Step 2: Install the script
See the FAQ of your script manager how to install the script.
  • Through GreasyFork
  • Through OpenUserJS
  • Through GitHub: you should be asked whether you want to install it - make sure your script manager is running.
Method 3: iOS Safari Shortcut

Get the "Add ITA Matrix Powertools" Shortcut

Instructions much be run each time
  • Open ITA Matrix in Safari on your iPhone or iPad
  • Tap on the Share button in the bottom navigation
  • Scroll down through all the actions
  • Select Add ITA Matrix Powertools

Method 4: Console/Debug mode
You need to access the command line of your browser to execute the script. You can use either the regular version or the minified version. Just copy the entire text.

Chrome:
  1. Open Chrome DevTools: developer.chrome.com
  2. Switch to the console tab
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.chrome.com
  4. Run it
Firefox:
  1. Open the web console: developer.mozilla.org
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.mozilla.org
  4. Run it
Internet Explorer:
  1. Open the web console by pressing F12
  3. Paste the script into the command line - at the very bottom
  4. Run it by pressing the green triangle

*** How to use it ***
Once the script is running you should see a new line above the ITA logo:
Code:
Passengers (1a) Settings (v0.18) (Cabin: Auto)
As long as you see this line, there is no need to reexecute the script. Make sure to get used to the "Settings"-feature -> just click on Settings. Within the settings menu you can configure the script towards your needs/preferences. Enabling/disabling features and/or setting standard editions of providers on the fly. When using a script manager these settings should be stored and automatically load as soon as you visit matrix.itasoftware.com - but the passengers as well as the cabin detection will not be stored!
Your settings are "reloaded" everytime the itinerary details show up! If you want to use other settings, just get back to the flight selection and reselect your flights - the new settings will be used. This belongs to the passengers and cabin detection as well

Passengers:
The passenger count will not be taken from your search results! Use the passenger config on the upper left and make sure they are set before you get to the itinerary details. We had to do it this way because some providers require the age of children. But always make sure to search for the equivalent passenger count. There might be seat availability for one passenger but not for two!

Cabin detection:
You should set the cabin on the upper right to the appropriate main cabin you are looking for. Sometimes you will have economy/business class segments in mainly business/first class itineraries. These mixed itineraries make it hard to autodetect the main cabin - so you can set it manually.

*** Background requests - Privacy issues ***
Some features require to contact other servers. As long as you do not activate any of the autoload features within the settings there won't be any automatic background requests. You will have to initiate them manually. The following list will tell which features are contacting what server and what information will be transferred. All websites will know you are using this script und you are currently using the Matrix - what by the way applies to the link targets you click as well.
  • GCM-Map in inline mode - contacting gcmap.com (non SSL) providing full route data
  • WhereToCredit.com mileage accrual breakdown - contacting wheretocredit.com (non SSL or SSL - depending on whether you use the Matrix with or without SSL) providing full itinerary
  • Skimlinks affiliate links - loads a js script to adds affiliate ids to some links if and only if the "Support this tool" setting is enabled. If it is disabled, no external scripts are loaded
*** FT-Posts you should read ***
General statement regarding this script: click
How to fix class names yourself: click
Problems and limitations regarding pricing itins: click

*** Contributors ***
paul21, Steppo, IAkH, 18sas, Benchmarc and others!

I'd like to give special thanks to paul21 for starting this idea.

*** Latest Version ***
GitHub Repo

OR install directly: Executable Version minified

FYI
Steppo & IAkH (Adam Hwang) have full access to this repository.

Discussion - written by paul21:
The original posting can be found here, related to building links on delta's booking engine. The script scrapes the flight info from the itinerary (flight numbers, dates, class of service, price) and builds a link string to two booking engines (Orbitz/Delta). These links are the same links used by Google Flights (owns ITA) , Kayak, et. al. to drive purchases. I used the Google referrer codes in the scripts, so they should get the commission. It's beyond me why ITA doesn't have some form of purchase link. This a userscript, and like an ad-blocker, it modifies the way a page is viewed by editing DOM objects in the browser. Keep in mind that this tool is meant to do something you already do yourself, but to save time in the process. Any tickets issued by Orbitz/DL via these links could be issued via phone or web search. If the links work, you are avoiding a phone booking fee potentially.

Print Wikipost

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by somedude3210
I've only used the script for linking to AC's website, so I don't know about the other sites. You can edit the script to link to CAD pricing on AC's website. Just change the user settings to ca edition.
The problem I'm having that it always takes me to the "Germany Edition" (priced in Euro) on AC.com, even when I specifically pick the "ca"-link (as created by the script). My OS and browser are German, but I'm in Canada and I've even removed German as a language from the broswer's content settings.

I've also changed one part of the script, but probably not the right part. Where do I need to change what?

TNX

Last edited by sokolov; Sep 5, 2016 at 8:24 am
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:01 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sokolov
The problem I'm having that it always takes me to the "Germany Edition" (priced in Euro) on AC.com, even when I specifically pick the "ca"-link (as created by the script). My OS and browser are German, but I'm in Canada and I've even removed German as a language from the broswer's content settings.

I've also changed one part of the script, but probably not the right part. Where do I need to change what?
Regardless of the currency issue, is the script still working for you for AC? Note my post just above yours about errors whenever I try to use it...
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Regardless of the currency issue, is the script still working for you for AC? Note my post just above yours about errors whenever I try to use it...
It seemed to, last week.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trying to use this for AC. Getting "direct faring failed" even for simplest itineraries.

What gives?

(I seem to recall I had this working in the past.)
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:11 am

I fixed Air Canada and removed Orbitz/Ebookers.

--------------------
Update (please remove old version if coming from v0.17 or earlier) to v0.21 using https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matrix-powertools/ or install/open directly

Installable/Executable Version
Executable Version minified

Happy searching
--------------------
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:37 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Seems to be an error in the pax count for the Delta link.

This search:

Generates this script:
...Coach&fareBasis=XPO0ZMMS:ULO0ZMMS&price=0&numOf Segments=3&paxCount=1&vendorRedirectFlag=true&vendorID=Google
Note the pax count in the script is 1 whereas the search is for 2.

Easy enough to fix before going to Delta.com. Just copy the link address, paste it into a new browser and adjust the paxcount value.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sokolov
Is the script still limited to USD, as the Wiki claims? Or can we now use it with Canadian Dollars, too? TNX
Just wondered about this. I do not see any reference to currency limitation in the current version of the wiki but I still cannot get it to price in GBP on the American (UK version) (or in CAD for the Canadian version for that matter);* the tool does open the UK version of aa.com but still prices in USD. Am I doing anything wrong or is that still a "feature" of the tool?

Great tool in any event. A million thanks for it.

*: the Amadeus/European/Asia/Pacific edition OTOH does seem to price in local currency.

[UPDATE]: Well, I went through a booking and, although the price initially displays in USD, it is converted to GBP as soon as one progresses to the next page of the reservation process, so problem solved (or rather: confirmation that there is no problem ).

Last edited by NickB; Sep 20, 2016 at 7:11 pm
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
As a quick heads up, Tamper Monkey is now supported with Microsoft Edge, the new I.E. found in Windows 10. I have not tested it yet.

ETA: Working perfectly - Wiki has been updated.

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Sep 21, 2016 at 11:55 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:37 pm

Having problems with new aa.com US/UK site. Not populating correctly.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by TTT
Seems to be an error in the pax count for the Delta link. [...]
Easy enough to fix before going to Delta.com. Just copy the link address, paste it into a new browser and adjust the paxcount value.
As stated in the wiki, the passengers will not be taken from the itinerary. You need to set them using the config section in the upper left. The reason: Some providers need an age for every child to work properly.

Originally Posted by NickB
Am I doing anything wrong or is that still a "feature" of the tool? [...]
[UPDATE]: Well, I went through a booking and, although the price initially displays in USD, it is converted to GBP as soon as one progresses to the next page of the reservation process, so problem solved (or rather: confirmation that there is no problem ).
Thanks for sharing this information. So the final currency depends on the POS. Anyhow - added the possibility in v0.22 to select an initial currency. See config section to select it.

Originally Posted by ckn2
Just tested several itineraries and had no problems at all. Would you mind to describe the problem a little bit more detailed?
For bug reports: Please add at least the itinerary you have trouble with - or send it to me using PM. Otherwise I have no chance to replicate it.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:28 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Steppo
As stated in the wiki, the passengers will not be taken from the itinerary. You need to set them using the config section in the upper left. The reason: Some providers need an age for every child to work properly.
My bad - I missed that part of the wiki. Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by ckn2
Having the same. The new AA site seems to be literally just missing flights entirely - anything that isn't an AA code isn't guaranteed to be there now it seems. For instance LCY-JFK on BA1 isn't there, but the AA codeshare is.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:00 pm

Name:  LCY-JFK-AA.png
Views: 1057
Size:  72.7 KB
I have no problems to pull up BA1/2..
What i know is: AA (US/UK) has problems with pricing very complex itineraries (6+ Segments).
I also had some itineraries not showing up on AA (US/UK) - but this is something we have to take. What I need to know is: Is it a problem caused by this script (a bug) or a problem on the AA website. The first one I could fix.. the other one we just have to live with.
So please post the complete itinerary + passengers for a bug report.
Otherwise there is nothing I can do...
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:00 am

small typo in Settings:
Language:en
Enable deviders
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: TudoAzul Diamante, Smiles Diamante, Latam Gold
I bought a ticket with the tool via Priceline to fly Azul Airlines (AD).
Everything ok with the flight, the problem is that I wasn't able to earn miles at TudoAzul (AD miles program). Anyone already had this issue with this or other airlines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.