Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAkH
Welcome to the ITA-Matrix-PowerTools
*** About ***
The ITA-Matrix-PowerTools are a user script maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Features added to the itinerary details page:
  • convert times into 24h format
  • translation support
  • open fare rules in new window by default
  • price breakdown (base fare, taxes & carrier imposed surcharges)
  • editor mode (adjust cabin prior extraction)
  • multiple handy links (Seatguru, Planefinder, WhereToCredit)
  • new on page features like detailed mileage breakdown*, GCM-Map* and earned frequent flyer miles*
  • create links to various providers (OTAs / airlines / other tools) to try direct booking of your itinerary

Originally Posted by Error: Unable to find class IR6M2QD-k-i for itinRow.
If you see this error, currently you'll need to manually edit your installed script.

See posts from October 1st, 2018 for more information.
*requires background requests

The script may have lots of bugs and comes without warranty of any kind! Not all fares will be bookable or will price correctly in the booking engines. You are responsible for the money you spend - so double check your flights before purchasing AND use your sanity! Read this and the next two posts as an example: click

*** How it works ***
Using pure JavaScript we are "creating" some sort of hook that is periodically checking for page changes while working with the Matrix. As soon as you reload or leave the page the script stops (leaving the page or using the console-version) or starts from the beginning (using the userscript and perfoming a reload). Also this script is only running in these tabs/windows in which you are looking at the Matrix.
As soon as the script detects the itinerary page it reads its content - unless you activated the editor mode. It's parsing all the information found and creates - based on this information - several links to OTAs, airlines and other tools. Since we are able to remove, replace and add content to the page - we make them visible and clickable in a way you choose. By default there are no background requests.

*** How to get it running ***
There are three methods to install the script. All three below run exactly the same underlying script but are listed in order of installation complexity:

Method 1: Browser Extensions
Method 2: As a UserScript
It takes a moment to get it running but after that it will start automatically everytime you visit the Matrix and we will be able to store your settings. You will need to install a script manager.

Warning: Using a script manager and installing user scripts is a potential security risk - We need to mention it here.
Step 1: Install a script manager Step 2: Install the script
See the FAQ of your script manager how to install the script.
  • Through GreasyFork
  • Through OpenUserJS
  • Through GitHub: you should be asked whether you want to install it - make sure your script manager is running.
Method 3: iOS Safari Shortcut

Get the "Add ITA Matrix Powertools" Shortcut

Instructions much be run each time
  • Open ITA Matrix in Safari on your iPhone or iPad
  • Tap on the Share button in the bottom navigation
  • Scroll down through all the actions
  • Select Add ITA Matrix Powertools

Method 4: Console/Debug mode
You need to access the command line of your browser to execute the script. You can use either the regular version or the minified version. Just copy the entire text.

Chrome:
  1. Open Chrome DevTools: developer.chrome.com
  2. Switch to the console tab
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.chrome.com
  4. Run it
Firefox:
  1. Open the web console: developer.mozilla.org
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.mozilla.org
  4. Run it
Internet Explorer:
  1. Open the web console by pressing F12
  3. Paste the script into the command line - at the very bottom
  4. Run it by pressing the green triangle

*** How to use it ***
Once the script is running you should see a new line above the ITA logo:
Code:
Passengers (1a) Settings (v0.18) (Cabin: Auto)
As long as you see this line, there is no need to reexecute the script. Make sure to get used to the "Settings"-feature -> just click on Settings. Within the settings menu you can configure the script towards your needs/preferences. Enabling/disabling features and/or setting standard editions of providers on the fly. When using a script manager these settings should be stored and automatically load as soon as you visit matrix.itasoftware.com - but the passengers as well as the cabin detection will not be stored!
Your settings are "reloaded" everytime the itinerary details show up! If you want to use other settings, just get back to the flight selection and reselect your flights - the new settings will be used. This belongs to the passengers and cabin detection as well

Passengers:
The passenger count will not be taken from your search results! Use the passenger config on the upper left and make sure they are set before you get to the itinerary details. We had to do it this way because some providers require the age of children. But always make sure to search for the equivalent passenger count. There might be seat availability for one passenger but not for two!

Cabin detection:
You should set the cabin on the upper right to the appropriate main cabin you are looking for. Sometimes you will have economy/business class segments in mainly business/first class itineraries. These mixed itineraries make it hard to autodetect the main cabin - so you can set it manually.

*** Background requests - Privacy issues ***
Some features require to contact other servers. As long as you do not activate any of the autoload features within the settings there won't be any automatic background requests. You will have to initiate them manually. The following list will tell which features are contacting what server and what information will be transferred. All websites will know you are using this script und you are currently using the Matrix - what by the way applies to the link targets you click as well.
  • GCM-Map in inline mode - contacting gcmap.com (non SSL) providing full route data
  • WhereToCredit.com mileage accrual breakdown - contacting wheretocredit.com (non SSL or SSL - depending on whether you use the Matrix with or without SSL) providing full itinerary
  • Skimlinks affiliate links - loads a js script to adds affiliate ids to some links if and only if the "Support this tool" setting is enabled. If it is disabled, no external scripts are loaded
*** FT-Posts you should read ***
General statement regarding this script: click
How to fix class names yourself: click
Problems and limitations regarding pricing itins: click

*** Contributors ***
paul21, Steppo, IAkH, 18sas, Benchmarc and others!

I'd like to give special thanks to paul21 for starting this idea.

*** Latest Version ***
GitHub Repo

OR install directly: Executable Version minified

FYI
Steppo & IAkH (Adam Hwang) have full access to this repository.

Discussion - written by paul21:
The original posting can be found here, related to building links on delta's booking engine. The script scrapes the flight info from the itinerary (flight numbers, dates, class of service, price) and builds a link string to two booking engines (Orbitz/Delta). These links are the same links used by Google Flights (owns ITA) , Kayak, et. al. to drive purchases. I used the Google referrer codes in the scripts, so they should get the commission. It's beyond me why ITA doesn't have some form of purchase link. This a userscript, and like an ad-blocker, it modifies the way a page is viewed by editing DOM objects in the browser. Keep in mind that this tool is meant to do something you already do yourself, but to save time in the process. Any tickets issued by Orbitz/DL via these links could be issued via phone or web search. If the links work, you are avoiding a phone booking fee potentially.

Print Wikipost

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I need help installing and running this script: some of us are more newbie than others. FWIW, I did read the wiki and the thread before giving up.

I have Firefox with Greasemonkey installed.

I went to https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matrix-powertools which gave me links to 6 files. I clicked on ita-matrix-powertools.user.js which brought its source code.

At no point did I see the promised "green button" to install the script. However I copied the entire code and save in a file named ita-matrix-powertools.user.js in the gm folder, where I have other .js files from before (don't recall how those were installed).

Now, doing a search at ITA, I get to the itinerary page and nothing happens, even after several minutes. Clicking on gm icon, the powertools script does not show up as running (only another script called ITA Polish from 2007!). It does show up under manage user scripts as installed.

I also tried quitting FF and restarting it, thinking this might kick in the script, but nothing happened.

Any thoughts? Many of us would appreciate more pedestrian step by step instructions, perhaps in the wiki. Thanks!
Old May 15, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: SK Gold
Originally Posted by aktchi
I need help installing and running this script: some of us are more newbie than others. FWIW, I did read the wiki and the thread before giving up.

I have Firefox with Greasemonkey installed.

I went to https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matrix-powertools which gave me links to 6 files. I clicked on ita-matrix-powertools.user.js which brought its source code.

At no point did I see the promised "green button" to install the script. However I copied the entire code and save in a file named ita-matrix-powertools.user.js in the gm folder, where I have other .js files from before (don't recall how those were installed).

Now, doing a search at ITA, I get to the itinerary page and nothing happens, even after several minutes. Clicking on gm icon, the powertools script does not show up as running (only another script called ITA Polish from 2007!). It does show up under manage user scripts as installed.

I also tried quitting FF and restarting it, thinking this might kick in the script, but nothing happened.

Any thoughts? Many of us would appreciate more pedestrian step by step instructions, perhaps in the wiki. Thanks!
I had similar issues and then discovered that the version of greasemonkey I had downloaded was not compatible with the version of firefox I was running. Did you check that?
Old May 15, 2015, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Click this link in Steppo's post from a couple of days ago ...
Originally Posted by Steppo
Fixed.

Installable/Executable Version

Happy searching
--------------------
Old May 15, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Travel4Love
I had similar issues and then discovered that the version of greasemonkey I had downloaded was not compatible with the version of firefox I was running. Did you check that?
Actually I decided to reinstall the latest versions of FF and GM (also made sure GM was enabled). Visiting the script link still did not bring me any button to install it, and I am still puzzled by this as I now have current versions of MAC OS, FF, and GM; pop-up blocker is also switched off.

However, I saved the file to my computer and copied its text. Clicking on "New user script" in GM brought the option to use the text from clipboard, and that did the trick. It works now.

My only complaint now is the auto-selected title, DL/ORB something, while I would have liked ITA-Powertools, but that's a small complaint!

ETA: One caveat. In 1-2 cases, the script brings me not to the itinerary at XP/PL/Orbitz etc but to the initial search from with dates etc filled out. After the search I could find "no flights available", or a list from which I can try to select my itinerary. So, the gain is that I don't have to type my itinerary in the initial search form. Having used the script only a few times, I am not sure how common this is.

Last edited by aktchi; May 15, 2015 at 12:36 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 8:16 pm

Anyone having issues with the priceline link? It takes me to a page to enter my flights from ITA
Old May 31, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Hey Steppo, I'm interested in contributing. I can help with code to make the United link actually go to the booking page without the extra copy/paste step. Can we chat on PM?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:44 am

I always seem to get the best price using the Air Canada link.

Is that normal?

The other links doesn't always seem to return the right price.

Other that that I seem to be getting business class tickets. Can this be some kind of bug?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
ETA: One caveat. In 1-2 cases, the script brings me not to the itinerary at XP/PL/Orbitz etc but to the initial search from with dates etc filled out. After the search I could find "no flights available", or a list from which I can try to select my itinerary. So, the gain is that I don't have to type my itinerary in the initial search form. Having used the script only a few times, I am not sure how common this is.
Originally Posted by Christian Kaad Andersen
I always seem to get the best price using the Air Canada link.

Is that normal?

The other links doesn't always seem to return the right price.

Other that that I seem to be getting business class tickets. Can this be some kind of bug?
You are both talking about the same issue.
Let's give it a try:
1.: ITA, in some cases, has bugs on its own. One example is the lack of handling married segments on TK. There will be others carriers facing the same problem for sure. Another one is applying wrong cabins not covered by the given fare.
2.: The script does neither check any restrictions regarding the point-of-sale nor any other restrictions. And these do exist!
3.: We don't know and we cannot interfere with the background handling of the data we provide to the airline/ota. If the underlying resources are not able to find your desired itinerary, you will not be able to buy it.
4.: Some OTAs/Airlines add booking fees.. so you may face different prices for the same itinerary.

What we do:
We collect the data. We create the request url the best way we know - so far. Everything what happens then is beyond our limits. I don't know why they are applying C-Fares. But what i know: they didn't find the fare you requested. Try to modify the URL and if you find any better way to form the request please share it!
All the OTAs/Airlines behave different when facing problems regarding your itinerary. Some use the next available fare, some will lead you to an error page, some will throw you back to the startpage without any notice and others will bring you back to the result page. If you then find your itinerary within a "normal" search on this website - this would of course be strange - please notify us.
This is the reason this script comes without any warranty and you should always double check what you are going to purchase.

Providing no information about what you have tried to book.. makes it even harder for us to explain why you were unable to do so.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:45 am

Hi Steepo. Thank you for the reply

As an example is have looked into this, that just sound to good to be true:

http://screencast.com/t/xSlGZdkFrE

The dates matches the search and everything seem to be all right.

The price on Hipmunk, etc. is 1252 $.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Christian Kaad Andersen
Hi Steepo. Thank you for the reply

As an example is have looked into this, that just sound too good to be true:

http://screencast.com/t/xSlGZdkFrE

The dates matches the search and everything seem to be all right.

The price on Hipmunk, etc. is 1252 $.
This is a great catch!

First of all: Always willing to help
Now.. Something essential is missing. A Screenshot of your ITA search:

So what do you think are you going to purchase? A business class fare? Or you are trying to purchase an economy fare? Well.. We know ITA sometimes has problems applying the correct cabin. So what you are actually trying to purchase is: A ticket using the P booking class on each segment for a TK ticket on TK metal. This is the only information that is the same. (You already checked dates/airports/flights) You intended to buy an economy ticket and now AC is showing bussines class? As you said: to good to be true.
So what is going on?
Let's compare the miles charts: TK-Chart vs. AC-Chart
As you can see for TK the P class is one of the lowest economy classes. On the other hand for AC the P class is discounted business.
So again, what are you trying to purchase? A ticket using the P booking class on each segment for a TK ticket on TK metal. It should be an economy ticket, shouldn't it? Showing business in this case is just a bug on the AC website. Think the other way around: ITA showing business - AC showing economy. Would you pull the trigger? So why should you do it in the present case?

You revealed a second bug of AC in this itin. The problem with married segments of TK - i mentioned it in my previous post. That is the reason you're seeing 12xx$ on other sites. I don't know whether you would be able to finalize your booking. I have serious doubts a ticket will be issued. My guess: The payment process will fail.

It is up to you how to use this tool - we are just doing some work for you, which in fact, you could easily do on your own - creating an url.
But be aware.. if you get too greedy or forget to use some brainpower prior your booking - you gonna lose - in the long term.
If there are any questions left, just ask.

Last edited by Steppo; Jun 2, 2015 at 2:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:49 am

Thank you very much for the reply
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
I use the United link a lot. Does anyone have any interest in me re-coding the link to grab the URL from Hipmunk and then send you directly to United's web site? Saves a step and a couple of seconds, and just makes it a better experience like the other links. Let me know if this is something you want to see implemented.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:04 am

Hmmm, the script seems to have stopped working today. Nothing shows up in either FF or Chrome for me ... maybe ITA DOM update/change?

I wrote a simple php script to redirect directly to United but Hipmunk needs to generate a session at ua.com for that to work, right? So if you generate a link it will stop working in ~10-15 minutes? If so, I prefer to get the Hipmunk link.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
wasn't working for me either (I blame chrome) so I came to this thread to see if anyone else was having issues.

Clicked on the link in post #123, it went and fixed the script and now it works fine.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:42 am

ITA did an update... don't know what they have changed.. but it "disabled" the script.
Special thanks to "dyung" for updating the class names.
--------------------
Update to v0.11c using https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matrix-powertools/ or install/open directly

Installable/Executable Version
Executable Version minified

Happy searching
--------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.