Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Travel&Dining

Travel Tools

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 26, 22, 12:05 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: IAkH
Wiki Link
Welcome to the ITA-Matrix-PowerTools
*** About ***
The ITA-Matrix-PowerTools are a user script maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Features added to the itinerary details page:
  • convert times into 24h format
  • translation support
  • open fare rules in new window by default
  • price breakdown (base fare, taxes & carrier imposed surcharges)
  • editor mode (adjust cabin prior extraction)
  • multiple handy links (Seatguru, Planefinder, WhereToCredit)
  • new on page features like detailed mileage breakdown*, GCM-Map* and earned frequent flyer miles*
  • create links to various providers (OTAs / airlines / other tools) to try direct booking of your itinerary

Originally Posted by Error: Unable to find class IR6M2QD-k-i for itinRow.
If you see this error, currently you'll need to manually edit your installed script.

See posts from October 1st, 2018 for more information.
*requires background requests

The script may have lots of bugs and comes without warranty of any kind! Not all fares will be bookable or will price correctly in the booking engines. You are responsible for the money you spend - so double check your flights before purchasing AND use your sanity! Read this and the next two posts as an example: click

*** How it works ***
Using pure JavaScript we are "creating" some sort of hook that is periodically checking for page changes while working with the Matrix. As soon as you reload or leave the page the script stops (leaving the page or using the console-version) or starts from the beginning (using the userscript and perfoming a reload). Also this script is only running in these tabs/windows in which you are looking at the Matrix.
As soon as the script detects the itinerary page it reads its content - unless you activated the editor mode. It's parsing all the information found and creates - based on this information - several links to OTAs, airlines and other tools. Since we are able to remove, replace and add content to the page - we make them visible and clickable in a way you choose. By default there are no background requests.

*** How to get it running ***
There are three methods to install the script. All three below run exactly the same underlying script but are listed in order of installation complexity:

Method 1: Browser Extensions
Method 2: As a UserScript
It takes a moment to get it running but after that it will start automatically everytime you visit the Matrix and we will be able to store your settings. You will need to install a script manager.

Warning: Using a script manager and installing user scripts is a potential security risk - We need to mention it here.
Step 1: Install a script manager Step 2: Install the script
See the FAQ of your script manager how to install the script.
  • Through GreasyFork
  • Through OpenUserJS
  • Through GitHub: you should be asked whether you want to install it - make sure your script manager is running.
Method 3: iOS Safari Shortcut

Get the "Add ITA Matrix Powertools" Shortcut

Instructions much be run each time
  • Open ITA Matrix in Safari on your iPhone or iPad
  • Tap on the Share button in the bottom navigation
  • Scroll down through all the actions
  • Select Add ITA Matrix Powertools

Method 4: Console/Debug mode
You need to access the command line of your browser to execute the script. You can use either the regular version or the minified version. Just copy the entire text.

Chrome:
  1. Open Chrome DevTools: developer.chrome.com
  2. Switch to the console tab
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.chrome.com
  4. Run it
Firefox:
  1. Open the web console: developer.mozilla.org
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.mozilla.org
  4. Run it
Internet Explorer:
  1. Open the web console by pressing F12
  3. Paste the script into the command line - at the very bottom
  4. Run it by pressing the green triangle

*** How to use it ***
Once the script is running you should see a new line above the ITA logo:
Code:
Passengers (1a) Settings (v0.18) (Cabin: Auto)
As long as you see this line, there is no need to reexecute the script. Make sure to get used to the "Settings"-feature -> just click on Settings. Within the settings menu you can configure the script towards your needs/preferences. Enabling/disabling features and/or setting standard editions of providers on the fly. When using a script manager these settings should be stored and automatically load as soon as you visit matrix.itasoftware.com - but the passengers as well as the cabin detection will not be stored!
Your settings are "reloaded" everytime the itinerary details show up! If you want to use other settings, just get back to the flight selection and reselect your flights - the new settings will be used. This belongs to the passengers and cabin detection as well

Passengers:
The passenger count will not be taken from your search results! Use the passenger config on the upper left and make sure they are set before you get to the itinerary details. We had to do it this way because some providers require the age of children. But always make sure to search for the equivalent passenger count. There might be seat availability for one passenger but not for two!

Cabin detection:
You should set the cabin on the upper right to the appropriate main cabin you are looking for. Sometimes you will have economy/business class segments in mainly business/first class itineraries. These mixed itineraries make it hard to autodetect the main cabin - so you can set it manually.

*** Background requests - Privacy issues ***
Some features require to contact other servers. As long as you do not activate any of the autoload features within the settings there won't be any automatic background requests. You will have to initiate them manually. The following list will tell which features are contacting what server and what information will be transferred. All websites will know you are using this script und you are currently using the Matrix - what by the way applies to the link targets you click as well.
  • GCM-Map in inline mode - contacting gcmap.com (non SSL) providing full route data
  • WhereToCredit.com mileage accrual breakdown - contacting wheretocredit.com (non SSL or SSL - depending on whether you use the Matrix with or without SSL) providing full itinerary
  • Skimlinks affiliate links - loads a js script to adds affiliate ids to some links if and only if the "Support this tool" setting is enabled. If it is disabled, no external scripts are loaded
*** FT-Posts you should read ***
General statement regarding this script: click
How to fix class names yourself: click
Problems and limitations regarding pricing itins: click

*** Contributors ***
paul21, Steppo, IAkH, 18sas, Benchmarc and others!

I'd like to give special thanks to paul21 for starting this idea.

*** Latest Version ***
GitHub Repo

OR install directly: Executable Version minified

FYI
Steppo & IAkH (Adam Hwang) have full access to this repository.

Discussion - written by paul21:
The original posting can be found here, related to building links on delta's booking engine. The script scrapes the flight info from the itinerary (flight numbers, dates, class of service, price) and builds a link string to two booking engines (Orbitz/Delta). These links are the same links used by Google Flights (owns ITA) , Kayak, et. al. to drive purchases. I used the Google referrer codes in the scripts, so they should get the commission. It's beyond me why ITA doesn't have some form of purchase link. This a userscript, and like an ad-blocker, it modifies the way a page is viewed by editing DOM objects in the browser. Keep in mind that this tool is meant to do something you already do yourself, but to save time in the process. Any tickets issued by Orbitz/DL via these links could be issued via phone or web search. If the links work, you are avoiding a phone booking fee potentially.

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 21, 22, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob, involuntary FT beta tester
Originally Posted by atcanobbio View Post
it seems the old interface is not available anymore.
I used the old interface just today; it's just that they removed the link from the new interface that made it easy to go to the old one (some weeks ago I think).

Originally Posted by atcanobbio View Post
anyone know if power tools for the new interface exist?
IIRC it's been supported for at least a month or two if not longer -- are you on the latest version? Don't have firsthand experience using it though, as I still vastly prefer the old interface and am going to stick with it until it completely disappears...
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 22, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
I used the old interface just today; it's just that they removed the link from the new interface that made it easy to go to the old one (some weeks ago I think).

IIRC it's been supported for at least a month or two if not longer -- are you on the latest version? Don't have firsthand experience using it though, as I still vastly prefer the old interface and am going to stick with it until it completely disappears...
thanks, I was able to find a link to the old interface in my history.

I'm glad there's an updated script for the updated interface. Looking forward to playing with it.
Old Aug 23, 22, 9:30 am

Programs: UA, AE
FlightHub link

FlightHub link worked on Aug 7 or 8. Now, it just opens FlightHub. Did Flight/Hub turn the data transfer off?.
Old Aug 26, 22, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Can't get Powertools to work on the new Matrix site. Seems I am not the only one. Works as usual on the oldmatrix pages
Old Aug 27, 22, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by RADIOSUTCH View Post
Can't get Powertools to work on the new Matrix site. Seems I am not the only one. Works as usual on the oldmatrix pages
Which browser and version of powertools are you using? Chrome extension or greasemonkey script?
Old Aug 27, 22, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by IAkH View Post
Which browser and version of powertools are you using? Chrome extension or greasemonkey script?
Powertools 0.55.4 downloaded again yesterday
Chrome Version 104.0.5112.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The thing is, the word "Powertools" appears but nothing under it

Old Aug 28, 22, 12:59 am

Thanks for the details. Should be fixed in 0.55.5 when it comes out. Let me know how it goes
Old Aug 29, 22, 4:45 pm

The issue that Radiosuch identified is fixed.

I don't know if this is within the scope of something power tools can do, but when using chrome on widows and the oldmatrix, if I held down control while clicking the price, it would open the details page in a new tab. With the new matrix it doesn't do that - just opens the page. The issue is that I when I go back, the results page is blank and I need to start the search all over again (not totally blank - the matrix is at the top, but no flights show below that). Starting the search all over again clears all of the filters that I had. Same on chrome plugin and tampermonkey - version 0.55.5
Old Aug 29, 22, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by IAkH View Post
Thanks for the details. Should be fixed in 0.55.5 when it comes out. Let me know how it goes
Thanks
On first glance it seems to be working, thanks a lot.
Full in depth test later
Chris
Old Aug 30, 22, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by innesst View Post
The issue that Radiosuch identified is fixed.

I don't know if this is within the scope of something power tools can do, but when using chrome on widows and the oldmatrix, if I held down control while clicking the price, it would open the details page in a new tab. With the new matrix it doesn't do that - just opens the page. The issue is that I when I go back, the results page is blank and I need to start the search all over again (not totally blank - the matrix is at the top, but no flights show below that). Starting the search all over again clears all of the filters that I had. Same on chrome plugin and tampermonkey - version 0.55.5
I have found that for the new matrix website, if I hit back button after viewing the details page, if I click on complete trips / time bars it will populate the list again and keep the filters. But it would still be nice if I could open the detail page in a new tab....
Old Sep 5, 22, 1:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
I'm using Matrix to piece together a r/t AA ticket that has outbound in fare code G (so I can use my BusinessExtra upgrade) and return in fare code I. I need to book the ticket on AA.com (USA website) because I am partially paying with a Flight Credit. I use the Matrix search, get the itinerary I need, and want to use a tool to click through to AA.com to purchase. However, when I use BookwithMatrix or the powertools to click through to AA.com I get a different ticket (same flights, but fare codes on BOTH flights downgraded to N). If I click through to the EU AA website the ticket is correct (outbound in G, Inbound in I), but I can't use my AA flight credit there. It's also correct when clicking through to Priceline, but, again, I can't use my flight credit there. Has anyone experienced this when clicking through to AA.com? Is there a workaround or better way to get the correct itinerary/fare codes to appear on AA.com when clicking through?

Edited to add: I am using Chrome, if that matters.

Last edited by OneWorldSapphire; Sep 5, 22 at 2:06 pm
Old Sep 5, 22, 4:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I can't speak to AA, but with SN, I have forced a higher booking class by booking dates when the cheapest available booking class was the one I wanted (using ITA Matrix's calendar search and looking for more expensive dates), and then simply rebooking the ticket for free for the actual dates I wanted - that would keep the higher booking class, and they have got rid of rebooking fees (or at least that was the case during covid). No idea if that would work with AA though.
Otherwise, I guess you could call...
Old Sep 5, 22, 4:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
I can't speak to AA, but with SN, I have forced a higher booking class by booking dates when the cheapest available booking class was the one I wanted (using ITA Matrix's calendar search and looking for more expensive dates), and then simply rebooking the ticket for free for the actual dates I wanted - that would keep the higher booking class, and they have got rid of rebooking fees (or at least that was the case during covid). No idea if that would work with AA though.
Otherwise, I guess you could call...
don't think that would work with AA, unfortunately. I would only get another flight credit and be stuck in the same boat. In the past, the Powertools extension has clicked through to AA.com and displayed everything correctly. It's weird that it is working properly when clicking through to the European AA sites, but not AA.com, which is the version I have to use to redeem my credit. It appears to be a gliche of some sort in the extension.
Old Sep 7, 22, 3:05 am

Hi all, has anyone had any experience booking on ssl#lan#com or booking#lan#com for Latam (as I'm sure most of you know Latam is the combination of the old LAN and TAM airlines and it seems this lan booking url is still usable for booking latam, or at least it was) flights?

I have a multicity itinerary of purely Latam flights through ITA matrix.

I have the powertools chrome plugin and it works when I use the old version of the ITA matrix.

It provides me links to LATAM as well as OTAs.
When accessing the latam booking link it sends me to
Code:
http#//booking#lan#com/cgi-bin/compra.... using the
link provided which turns into ssl as mentioned in the code below

Code:
// The booking#lan#com url as of 2/27/2020 needs to be http instead of https. Fortunately, it does redirect you
// to https#//ssl#lan#com afterwards, but the booking link seems to be more successful than starting with ssl
return (
`http#//booking#lan#com/cgi-bin/compra/paso4.cgi?forced_home=${edition}&sessionParameters=` +
encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(parameters))
);
};
After filling in the passenger details and clicking "continue" on the page it redirects back to the standard latam airlines homepage

Are there any tips to get around this?
NOTE: I replaced "." in the urls with "#" as I am not allowed to post urls yet
Old Sep 8, 22, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire View Post
I'm using Matrix to piece together a r/t AA ticket that has outbound in fare code G (so I can use my BusinessExtra upgrade) and return in fare code I. I need to book the ticket on AA.com (USA website) because I am partially paying with a Flight Credit. I use the Matrix search, get the itinerary I need, and want to use a tool to click through to AA.com to purchase. However, when I use BookwithMatrix or the powertools to click through to AA.com I get a different ticket (same flights, but fare codes on BOTH flights downgraded to N). If I click through to the EU AA website the ticket is correct (outbound in G, Inbound in I), but I can't use my AA flight credit there. It's also correct when clicking through to Priceline, but, again, I can't use my flight credit there. Has anyone experienced this when clicking through to AA.com? Is there a workaround or better way to get the correct itinerary/fare codes to appear on AA.com when clicking through?

Edited to add: I am using Chrome, if that matters.
AA Europe uses Amadeus, AA U.S. Sabre. So 2 totally different booking, pricing and ticketing engines. Most likely Sabre will do a best buy for pricing then.

Search this Thread