Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAkH
Welcome to the ITA-Matrix-PowerTools
*** About ***
The ITA-Matrix-PowerTools are a user script maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Features added to the itinerary details page:
  • convert times into 24h format
  • translation support
  • open fare rules in new window by default
  • price breakdown (base fare, taxes & carrier imposed surcharges)
  • editor mode (adjust cabin prior extraction)
  • multiple handy links (Seatguru, Planefinder, WhereToCredit)
  • new on page features like detailed mileage breakdown*, GCM-Map* and earned frequent flyer miles*
  • create links to various providers (OTAs / airlines / other tools) to try direct booking of your itinerary

Originally Posted by Error: Unable to find class IR6M2QD-k-i for itinRow.
If you see this error, currently you'll need to manually edit your installed script.

See posts from October 1st, 2018 for more information.
*requires background requests

The script may have lots of bugs and comes without warranty of any kind! Not all fares will be bookable or will price correctly in the booking engines. You are responsible for the money you spend - so double check your flights before purchasing AND use your sanity! Read this and the next two posts as an example: click

*** How it works ***
Using pure JavaScript we are "creating" some sort of hook that is periodically checking for page changes while working with the Matrix. As soon as you reload or leave the page the script stops (leaving the page or using the console-version) or starts from the beginning (using the userscript and perfoming a reload). Also this script is only running in these tabs/windows in which you are looking at the Matrix.
As soon as the script detects the itinerary page it reads its content - unless you activated the editor mode. It's parsing all the information found and creates - based on this information - several links to OTAs, airlines and other tools. Since we are able to remove, replace and add content to the page - we make them visible and clickable in a way you choose. By default there are no background requests.

*** How to get it running ***
There are three methods to install the script. All three below run exactly the same underlying script but are listed in order of installation complexity:

Method 1: Browser Extensions
Method 2: As a UserScript
It takes a moment to get it running but after that it will start automatically everytime you visit the Matrix and we will be able to store your settings. You will need to install a script manager.

Warning: Using a script manager and installing user scripts is a potential security risk - We need to mention it here.
Step 1: Install a script manager Step 2: Install the script
See the FAQ of your script manager how to install the script.
  • Through GreasyFork
  • Through OpenUserJS
  • Through GitHub: you should be asked whether you want to install it - make sure your script manager is running.
Method 3: iOS Safari Shortcut

Get the "Add ITA Matrix Powertools" Shortcut

Instructions much be run each time
  • Open ITA Matrix in Safari on your iPhone or iPad
  • Tap on the Share button in the bottom navigation
  • Scroll down through all the actions
  • Select Add ITA Matrix Powertools

Method 4: Console/Debug mode
You need to access the command line of your browser to execute the script. You can use either the regular version or the minified version. Just copy the entire text.

Chrome:
  1. Open Chrome DevTools: developer.chrome.com
  2. Switch to the console tab
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.chrome.com
  4. Run it
Firefox:
  1. Open the web console: developer.mozilla.org
  3. Paste the script into the command line: developer.mozilla.org
  4. Run it
Internet Explorer:
  1. Open the web console by pressing F12
  3. Paste the script into the command line - at the very bottom
  4. Run it by pressing the green triangle

*** How to use it ***
Once the script is running you should see a new line above the ITA logo:
Code:
Passengers (1a) Settings (v0.18) (Cabin: Auto)
As long as you see this line, there is no need to reexecute the script. Make sure to get used to the "Settings"-feature -> just click on Settings. Within the settings menu you can configure the script towards your needs/preferences. Enabling/disabling features and/or setting standard editions of providers on the fly. When using a script manager these settings should be stored and automatically load as soon as you visit matrix.itasoftware.com - but the passengers as well as the cabin detection will not be stored!
Your settings are "reloaded" everytime the itinerary details show up! If you want to use other settings, just get back to the flight selection and reselect your flights - the new settings will be used. This belongs to the passengers and cabin detection as well

Passengers:
The passenger count will not be taken from your search results! Use the passenger config on the upper left and make sure they are set before you get to the itinerary details. We had to do it this way because some providers require the age of children. But always make sure to search for the equivalent passenger count. There might be seat availability for one passenger but not for two!

Cabin detection:
You should set the cabin on the upper right to the appropriate main cabin you are looking for. Sometimes you will have economy/business class segments in mainly business/first class itineraries. These mixed itineraries make it hard to autodetect the main cabin - so you can set it manually.

*** Background requests - Privacy issues ***
Some features require to contact other servers. As long as you do not activate any of the autoload features within the settings there won't be any automatic background requests. You will have to initiate them manually. The following list will tell which features are contacting what server and what information will be transferred. All websites will know you are using this script und you are currently using the Matrix - what by the way applies to the link targets you click as well.
  • GCM-Map in inline mode - contacting gcmap.com (non SSL) providing full route data
  • WhereToCredit.com mileage accrual breakdown - contacting wheretocredit.com (non SSL or SSL - depending on whether you use the Matrix with or without SSL) providing full itinerary
  • Skimlinks affiliate links - loads a js script to adds affiliate ids to some links if and only if the "Support this tool" setting is enabled. If it is disabled, no external scripts are loaded
*** FT-Posts you should read ***
General statement regarding this script: click
How to fix class names yourself: click
Problems and limitations regarding pricing itins: click

*** Contributors ***
paul21, Steppo, IAkH, 18sas, Benchmarc and others!

I'd like to give special thanks to paul21 for starting this idea.

*** Latest Version ***
GitHub Repo

OR install directly: Executable Version minified

FYI
Steppo & IAkH (Adam Hwang) have full access to this repository.

Discussion - written by paul21:
The original posting can be found here, related to building links on delta's booking engine. The script scrapes the flight info from the itinerary (flight numbers, dates, class of service, price) and builds a link string to two booking engines (Orbitz/Delta). These links are the same links used by Google Flights (owns ITA) , Kayak, et. al. to drive purchases. I used the Google referrer codes in the scripts, so they should get the commission. It's beyond me why ITA doesn't have some form of purchase link. This a userscript, and like an ad-blocker, it modifies the way a page is viewed by editing DOM objects in the browser. Keep in mind that this tool is meant to do something you already do yourself, but to save time in the process. Any tickets issued by Orbitz/DL via these links could be issued via phone or web search. If the links work, you are avoiding a phone booking fee potentially.

Print Wikipost

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
I am using the new version of Microsoft Edge which is based on Chromium something-or-other. I read that Chrome extensions work in Edge. I don't know how to implement, but that is what I read.

Can I used the script in Edge? I do some fancy magic ctrl-shift-J to enter the console in Chrome, and this same thing works to open the console in Edge. I will give it a try and let ya'll know.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Great news! The script works in the brand-new Microsoft Edge browser... the one that the online experts really like. They persuaded me to ditch Chrome for Edge.

I ran a sample itinerary and the schedule clicked through fine to Delta for purchase, as well as GCM. WOOT! Awesome! Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pocatello
Great news! The script works in the brand-new Microsoft Edge browser... the one that the online experts really like. They persuaded me to ditch Chrome for Edge.

I ran a sample itinerary and the schedule clicked through fine to Delta for purchase, as well as GCM. WOOT! Awesome! Thanks!
Glad to hear it! I did confirm it works on Edge and started the process to publish to their app store the same time I did Firefox and Chrome and still have not been approved to do so. I have a ticket open with their support team, so hopefully it will be soon. The user script should also work fine there as well if you wanted to avoid the cut and paste
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:52 pm

Published v0.43.0 which adds deeplinks for the eDreams family (Opodo, Travellink, etc)

https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matrix-powertools
andydd likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:58 pm

As always, feedback is welcome!

I also wanted to take this time to thank the anonymous stranger that asked for eDreams to be added. If any body else notices any OTAs or airlines that bring you directly to the booking page (i.e. passenger selection or payment page) and not a search result screen feel free to drop a note here or PM me and we can see if its feasible to get it added.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by IAkH
As always, feedback is welcome!

I also wanted to take this time to thank the anonymous stranger that asked for eDreams to be added. If any body else notices any OTAs or airlines that bring you directly to the booking page (i.e. passenger selection or payment page) and not a search result screen feel free to drop a note here or PM me and we can see if its feasible to get it added.
Flightnetwork is another such OTA that works on the same deep linking principle but their deep linking isn't so straightforward. Please PM in case you are interested for some more info on this one.

Ciao
IAkH likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by andydd
Flightnetwork is another such OTA that works on the same deep linking principle but their deep linking isn't so straightforward. Please PM in case you are interested for some more info on this one.

Ciao
PMed Thank you!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: AC SE
There seems to be issues with AC lately. I have installed the latest extension but I am not able to get all the way through the reservation process on AC.com and I am getting kicked out with an error message.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jasdou
There seems to be issues with AC lately. I have installed the latest extension but I am not able to get all the way through the reservation process on AC.com and I am getting kicked out with an error message.
I've found sometimes the AC website goes down and starts throwing errors. Usually resolves itself after a couple hours, or if I try booking on different dates.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:45 am

PMed Thank you!
I sent you the coding & decoding logic to tackle this one. Let's keep the fingers crossed now for ver 0.44 for with FN link
IAkH likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:28 pm

What do I have to add to the Air Canada deeplink to apply a discount/promotion code?

And is there now a way to avoid Basic or switch to Stanarad Economy?

Last edited by sokolov; Feb 12, 2020 at 12:33 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:50 pm

Published v0.43.0 which adds deeplinks for the eDreams family (Opodo, Travellink, etc)
After upgrading to 43, links to Air Canada do not work anymore. The first attempt kind of worked, but showed me a oneway instead of the return trip I had selected.

Any further attempts yield this error message curtesy of AC:

"An issue prevents us from processing your request; please try again. If problem persists, please go back to the log-in screen, refresh your browser and try again. (4000 - 0) (4000)"

Edith says: It is working again. Must have been a website issue.
I am still wondering: Where do I find previous versions?

Last edited by sokolov; Feb 12, 2020 at 5:54 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
After upgrading to 43, links to Air Canada do not work anymore. The first attempt kind of worked, but showed me a oneway instead of the return trip I had selected.

Any further attempts yield this error message curtesy of AC:

"An issue prevents us from processing your request; please try again. If problem persists, please go back to the log-in screen, refresh your browser and try again. (4000 - 0) (4000)"

Edith says: It is working again. Must have been a website issue.
I am still wondering: Where do I find previous versions?
Air Canada links haven't been changed in several months and their website is notoriously buggy. I would not expect downgrading to help, but if you'd like to give it a shot, you can find every version ever published here:

https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matr...rtools.user.js

Keep in mind the older versions will need their class settings fixed. You can simply copy and paste the class names from the newest version
sokolov likes this.

Last edited by IAkH; Feb 12, 2020 at 8:23 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:32 pm

Published v0.44.0. One thing I want to address is that I did very reluctantly add affiliate links to this version in an effort to support Edge and Safari, whose developer fees will end up costing a few hundred dollars. I want to say this is entirely optional and you may opt out by disabling the "Support this tool" option which will not make any changes or load any third party libraries. I left this as opt-out because several links are already affiliate links for Google, Kayak, Skyscanner, etc because the deeplinks were created specifically for those meta search sites. Additionally, airfare affiliates are notoriously low fixed amounts (think cash back sites), so it will take several hundred bookings to recoup the developer fees costs. I really disliked having to make this change, but I do hope everybody understands why and that it was not done without serious consideration. Those of you with ad-blockers will not notice any changes. Thanks for your understanding.

[0.44.0] - 2020-02-16

Edited by IAkH
  • fixed CheapOAir link
  • added lucky2go, Ovago, and FlightNetwork (thanks andydd )
  • consolidated update and download URLs to GreasyFork
  • added affiliate link option

[0.43.1] - 2020-02-11

Edited by wylek
  • minor BA parameter updates for multi-city construction
  • AA (US site) corrections for one-way and multi-city URL construction, departure timezone handling re-implemented (previous handling via farefreaks was removed)
  • Added AA editions for Puerto Rico, Bahamas, and British Virgin Islands

https://github.com/SteppoFF/ita-matrix-powertools
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:34 am

Thank you so much for your work!

Would it be possible to add the jetcost family as a fare aggregator?
Especially the .es and .ie sites often offer the highest discounts on GDS fares.

flug.idealo.de might not be possible as there is no date in the URL, only departure and arrival airport.
IAkH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.