Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

What service do you use to keep a log of all the flights you've taken?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What service do you use to keep a log of all the flights you've taken?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
With regards to my.FlightRadar, just how accurate are the data? I'm assuming I'll need something like FlightStats to correct it and even then, how accurate are the data from FlightStats?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Why do you take a photo of your boarding pass with the plane safety manual?

SK doesn't stamp passports? Was that always the case? I haven't been there in ten years. Unfortunately I don't have my old passport with me at the moment or I would search for the answer myself.
1. I take the photo of the boarding pass and plane manual for several reasons:
- It provides a clear and unambiguous indication in my photos when I departed one place and left for another place, which is greatly helpful when organizing my photos later.
- I have a good record of where I sat on the plane and what kind of plane I was flying on. (I am a nerd and work in the avionics industry. This stuff fascinates me.)
- I find that such photos are a nice souvenir.

2. SK did not stamp my passport when I visited in 2018. That was my first time in SK, and I don't know how long it's been this way.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
For the past 3-4 years, I've been keeping track of my flights, as I travel weekly for work. Slowly, over time, I've expanded the amount of data that I keep track of. I'm mostly a United flyer, so some of the data I track is United-specific. That said, here's my current set of data I'm tracking:

Date, PNR, Flight #, Seat, Tail #, Ticket #, Depart (airport), Land (airport), Class, Upgrade?, Fare, Surcharge, Sub-Total, Taxes/Fees, Total, BIS Miles, PQM Segments, PQ$, Status Mult., RDM, Notes

I've been traveling more weeks than not since late 2012, however. I have a Silver subscription to FlightRadar, and just looked into upgrading. Even a Business plan there will only get 2 years' worth of data. I'm missing all of my tail numbers from 2016 and before (as I just started tracking those in 2017.) I also don't track take-off and landing times in my spreadsheet. I suppose I could, but I don't know that I'm all that interested in manually tracking that info. It's fun to see on MyFR, though. However, some of my flights that I have on MyFR don't have take-off and landing times listed, which means I can't believe the stats they show me for how long I've spent in the air, just for the flights I have already entered.

So my questions, I guess, are:
  1. Which tool/website can I use that will get me tail numbers for flights going back to 2012?
  2. Same question for accurate take-off/landing times?
Thanks,
-mvitale
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL
I agree with what people said. Flightmemory has an ugly UI but better statistics, flightdiary is much better looking but their statistics are incomplete or even inaccurate. I emailed 2-3 times FD support but never heard back, do they even do or plan any development on their site? I am ready to abandon FD and might try openflights.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
None seem to be entirely perfect. I agree that FD (now my.flightradar24.com) doesn't seem that responsive or that they're making much changes. My wish list for them would be to add:
1. Plane Name field
2. Special Livery field
3. Upgrade indicator
4. Some additional reporting capabilities

I did reach out to them with suggestions... but I think their main priority is the main FR24 web/app.

For now... I just keep FlightMemory & FlightDiary up to date. Best of both worlds - detailed reporting from FM, nice UI of FD... and also as data backup protection in case one or the other vanishes overnight.

I've looked at logmyflight, which at least the developer seems active & engaged here on these forums. But the UI is too busy, tracking too many things IMO.
I did check out openflights.org - it seems to be somewhere between FM & FD. The data reporting isn't as powerful as FM though.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, OZ Club Diamond, *A Gold, QFF Gold, BAEC Gold, OW Emerald
How Do You Track Your Flights Flown?

Hey All, I'm one of those people who keeps a detailed flight log of my journeys. So far this information exists in a OneNote document. I am wondering what others use to keep track of miles flown, airlines, and dates?

I would appreciate any tips or ideas. Thanks a bunch!
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Flightdiary which I think was bought by flightradar24. So if you have flightradar24 you can use same login

Also flightexpert has been around awhile

I have only had experience with these and both are good
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long do you want to keep it?

If for decades, then you might want to do it offline, with backups.

In the short term, there may be many online options, but you never know which one might go belly up when, so I wouldn't count on them for very long term (unless perhaps they allow you to export to some universal format).
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by aeroman380
Flightdiary which I think was bought by flightradar24. So if you have flightradar24 you can use same login

They both let you download to spreadsheet and also upload.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: LH M+M
Using logmyflight.net for quite a while -- provides a generic CSV export, too.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:31 am

I just use excel to track and forecast EQMs, EQDs and vacation days.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we relocate this thread.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by rybylee
Hey All, I'm one of those people who keeps a detailed flight log of my journeys. So far this information exists in a OneNote document. I am wondering what others use to keep track of miles flown, airlines, and dates?

I would appreciate any tips or ideas. Thanks a bunch!
Hello @rybylee,

Welcome to the Travel Tools forum.

We have several threads discussing apps, websites and tools which members use to keep record of their flight histories.

You should find the following thread helpful:
TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Excellent information. I’m glad I stumbled across this thread!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, OZ Club Diamond, *A Gold, QFF Gold, BAEC Gold, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by aeroman380

Thanks a bunch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.