Wiki Posts
Search

favorite podcasts?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: luxury traveler
favorite podcasts?

I listen to many podcasts and would love to know if there are any travel podcasts recommended by other FT users? I especially like Ombudsman type articles, Perrin reports, travel advice but not necessarily travel/destination reports... tia!
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
RadioLab...best podcast I've ever heard.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
favorite podcasts?

1. This Week in Travel
2. Betty in the Sky with a Suitcase
3. PointsHoarder
4. The Middle Seat (Wall Street Journal)
5. Farecompare
6. Travel Today (with Peter Greenberg)
7. Travel with Rick Steves
8. Amateur Traveler (with Chris Christensen who also co-hosts This Week in Travel)
9. Airline Pilot Guy
10. UPGRD (purely a blog now but has old travel podcasts)
11. Freakonomics Radio (though not travel related, provides lots of intellectual stimulation)

A few that I haven't tried yet:

1. Skyscanner Travel Podcast
2. Jettsetter Show Blogcast
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:41 am

One of my favorite podcasts (has nothing to do with travel) is the Adam Carolla Show. Just a very funny podcast to me and episodes 5 days a week.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by LowRoller
One of my favorite podcasts (has nothing to do with travel) is the Adam Carolla Show. Just a very funny podcast to me and episodes 5 days a week.
Second that. The interviews are usually surprisingly interesting and they're frequent enough to fill a lot of time.

This American Life is another good time-filler.

New York City Crime Report is probably my favorite. It's a weekly show of stand up comics discussing the crime news from the Post. Completely mindless but pretty funny.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:51 pm

I listen to:

This American Life: humorous stories that are certainly curious to think about. They have a very humanistic spin on life but the storytelling is great anyway.

Table Talk Radio: the only Lutheran radio game show where the points are like 6th grade class status. Hosts are great characters but I wouldn't recommend this if you don't know much about Lutheranism/Christianity.

In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg: learn something new each week on topics ranging from literature to philosophy to mathematics and science. Panelists are great at discussing and the host, Bragg, always keeps the conversation going.

Irish and Celtic Music Podcast: because who doesn't like it?

Concordia Ed Tech: because I'm a teacher and they've got great tips about educational technology.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:17 pm

I do a ton of driving, so I lean on my podcasts hard. Here are some that I enjoy:

Adam Carolla Show - Adam interviews celebrity guests, complains about everything, and "cracks wise." ~90min/episode.

Adam [Carolla] and Dr. Drew Show - The two best-known former co-hosts of Loveline discuss issues of the day and take sex/drugs/relationship calls ~60 min/episode

Tech411 - Technology news. Geared more towards mobile technology. Hosted by Oscar Santana and Todd Moore (developer of the White Noise app among others). ~30min/episode

Savage Lovecast - Dan Savage from The Stranger takes calls regarding sex/relationship issues. ~45min/episode (free) ~90min/episode (subscription)

The Bugle - Hosted by John Oliver (The Daily Show) and Andy Zaltzman (BBC/Stand-up). Essentially The Daily Show on the "radio," it focuses on a more international news satire. ~45min/episode

Big-O and Dukes Show - Hosted by Oscar Santana and Chad Dukes. A podcast version of their former comedy radio show heard in DC, Phoenix, Iowa, and Baltimore. "Bro" content (beer, video games, movies) for the 20-35 crowd. ~90min/episode

The Mike O'Meara Show - Hosted by Mike O'Meara and Robb Spewak (of Don and Mike Show fame). A podcast version of their former syndicated comedy radio show based in the DC area. Topics of the day discussed, funny audio clips, etc. More of the 30-50 crowd ~60min/episode
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:01 pm

Like you guys, I found there to be a lack of quality travel podcasts, so I started my own.

It's not just miles and points focused, but brings on travel experts to talk about their experience, their area of expertise, and of course, trade funny travel stories.

I've done stuff from talking about how to score free penthouses in Manhattan through housesitting to talking about how to exercise while traveling.

It's all about talking travel, and showing people how to travel more while spending less!

If you're interested, feel free to check out all the episodes here:

http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/category/podcast/

I'd love to hear your feedback, and any recommendations for future travel guests!

Also, FYI, my favorite podcast of all time is The Basketball Jones. It's not travel related, but even if you don't like the NBA, these guys are a RIOT!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've recently started listening to a new-ish podcast called "Counting Countries." The host interviews people who have visited all 193 UN member countries (or people who are trying to). Very interesting.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...121259772?mt=2
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
99% Invisible

Not really a travel programme but good for when travelling as they do short pieces (about 15 mins) that can be fascinating. They are about the design of objects and things.

Because of the short duration they are lovely bite sized and can fill travel gaps of boredom!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.