Reload this Page >

AwardWallet - death watch has started

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AwardWallet - death watch has started

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:19 am

I'm very much in favor of an app to use as well, and yes, I would pay for it. How about it AW?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by xp0
Since they are ultimately on the verge of death they should port their application to a stand alone mode which allows you to run it on your machine. It will automatically log into all of your accounts, store the information in a local database and keep track of all your accounts for you on your own computer. This will be "allowed" and it would be very nice. A "one click" program for the lazy
That is a fantastic idea and the perfect way for AW to survive and thrive.^
Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:00 pm
Company Representative - AwardWallet

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Why haven't you responded to my post? You clearly have a way out that is profitable. Please explain why do you do not do this.
The reason why I have not responded sooner is because I was not checking this thread. So, as far as desktop application goes, we did almost the same thing for AA - we released a browser extension (for 4 browsers: IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari) that did the checking and storing all the data locally. We still got shut down. So lesson learned for us - it doesn't matter how we help users to track their miles and it doesn't matter where the data is stored and it doesn't matter who is accessing the websites - they will still go after the distributor of the application.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 4:15 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by veresch
The reason why I have not responded sooner is because I was not checking this thread. So, as far as desktop application goes, we did almost the same thing for AA - we released a browser extension (for 4 browsers: IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari) that did the checking and storing all the data locally. We still got shut down. So lesson learned for us - it doesn't matter how we help users to track their miles and it doesn't matter where the data is stored and it doesn't matter who is accessing the websites - they will still go after the distributor of the application.
Not sure about that... I am also not talking a browser extension. A stand alone app that you can enter your information into. It doesnt need to be marketed as "Check your AA miles" or whatever ... you can just allow users to enter the website/username/pass and it will get their info.

For programs/trips/etc that work fine on the website the app can also pull the data from your Award wallet account and compile all the data into one place

It might depend how its marketed/advertised. All the behind the scenes work is already done and now it just needs to be repackaged. Not that hard...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:10 am

I've written my own mile checking program in the past and it's not too difficult (just a simple web scraper). It'd be easy enough to create a desktop app that could offer similar facilities to AwardWallet.

However, I use AwardWallet now purely because everything is done online and I can access the information from anywhere (including a smartphone). I guess the desktop app could store the actual balances 'in the cloud' to make it accessible from anywhere, as long as it didn't access the data from anywhere but the desktop.

Some kind of extensible mileage checking application might work. It'd come with a few FFPs built in, and the community could add the rest (the 'disallowed' ones) ... though I'm not sure how easy it'd be given the required knowledge of http requests.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by angatol
Oh, I don't know. Customer service?

Me neither. But I might if they supported oauth and I could provide them with time limited credentials to read-only information.

but the credentials that are provided to award wallet are neither time-limited nor for read-only data, hence my aversion to providing them.

and 'customer service' means a lot of things to a lot of people, but it seems to mostly mean that the customer gets something and the company providing it does so whether there is any benefit to them for doing so. this seems to be what we're talking about here.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:55 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:29 pm
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
I use milewise and it does the same thing as award wallet and keeps track of all your miles and points and associates a dollar value to it pretty nice an easy to use
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:08 pm

What about making the plug-ins as public domain/open source all will that be revealing too much? Can they still go after you?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sigh...why would they shut down such a wonderful product. I just don't get it.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
we released a browser extension (for 4 browsers: IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari) that did the checking and storing all the data locally. We still got shut down. So lesson learned for us - it doesn't matter how we help users to track their miles and it doesn't matter where the data is stored and it doesn't matter who is accessing the websites - they will still go after the distributor of the application.
Why not develop a generic plug-in architecture and let people write their own custom plug-ins to retrieve information for points programs that AW doesn't natively support?

It won't be long before someone else (probably a FTer) develops a screen-scraping plug-in for AA and releases it as open source. There will be nobody for AA to target after that cat is out of the bag.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: Far too many
Spreadsheet?

Would someone who has taken the trouble to create a spreadsheet be willing to share it?

With great appreciation,
Travel Light
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:20 pm

Now Delta has decided to join and make their program even less friendly
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: all
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Sigh...why would they shut down such a wonderful product. I just don't get it.

The same reason a lot of other consolidation sites were closed. "security" or rather control. Yodlee was one of the first companies to do this 12-14 years ago and they eventually had to stop
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:52 pm
Company Representative - AwardWallet

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Why haven't you responded to my post? You clearly have a way out that is profitable. Please explain why do you do not do this.
Because we tried a desktop solution and we got shut down by American after we did it. If you think that a desktop solution will solve the problem and the airlines will not be able to do anything you are thinking exactly the way we did when we spent time and money developing it and pretty quickly we got shut down - desktop solution will not make this any better.

Cheers,
-Alexi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.