Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Usingmiles better than Awardwallet?

Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

I saw lufthansaflyer's blog today about Usingmiles and checked into it. It has been mentioned for a few years (barely) on FT.
What I don't know is how come they can have SW rapid rewards and AAdvantage points tracking and Awardwallet can't.
Does anyone here have any experience, good or bad, with this company?
I know they have a company lurker out there, who generously left a post with a link for free premiere membership out there. Search them and you will find it.
my main concern is security of account info....it took me a year to make sure awardwallet was not a scam designed to fleece FF accounts, now I trust it, but am not impressed by it not having AA or SW or by the way it gets some of my other accounts wrong too often.
Usingmiles looks like a good established alternative as well as milepoint (even though it is new)
So any comments on Usingmiles?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u
I saw lufthansaflyer's blog today about Usingmiles and checked into it. It has been mentioned for a few years (barely) on FT.
What I don't know is how come they can have SW rapid rewards and AAdvantage points tracking and Awardwallet can't.
Does anyone here have any experience, good or bad, with this company?
I know they have a company lurker out there, who generously left a post with a link for free premiere membership out there. Search them and you will find it.
my main concern is security of account info....it took me a year to make sure awardwallet was not a scam designed to fleece FF accounts, now I trust it, but am not impressed by it not having AA or SW or by the way it gets some of my other accounts wrong too often.
Usingmiles looks like a good established alternative as well as milepoint (even though it is new)
So any comments on Usingmiles?
Haven't used it much but got a free premium membership with an ebags purchase. I'm pretty sure the AA and WN mile/point tracking was manual. You update the points and the last transaction date and it keeps track of your balance and expiration date. You have to keep updating It manually unlike the other programs.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Does such functionality exist with AwardWallet? Can I add AA back and just manually update my current miles and have it track my totals?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Since awardwallet, et al, are travel tools I'm going to move this to the Travel Tools Forum.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by stealph
Does such functionality exist with AwardWallet? Can I add AA back and just manually update my current miles and have it track my totals?
You can add AA to AwardWallet but you have to not say it is AA. If you go to ADD a new program, then click on the link at the top of the page to add a custom program and then enter a different name than AA it will let you load an amount manually.
The thing I do not like about UsingMiles.com is it only supports 100 different awards programs, unlike AwardWallet that supports over 300 and more different sites.

Last edited by rdaven2003; Aug 8, 2012 at 10:24 am
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Saw this posted elsewhere, but I think it's something to take into account:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_21255597

Austin Veith, 33, was scheduled to stand trial on one count of theft and multiple counts of securities fraud this coming Monday in Boulder District Court, but entered the plea Tuesday morning in exchange for prosecutors dropping some of the security fraud charges.

(...)

Veith, who once owned Boulder tanning salon Sol Tan, started online frequent flier mileage tracking website UsingMiles.com in 2008 with a former classmate at the University of Colorado business school.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:49 pm
Company Representative - UsingMiles

Talking Answers from UsingMiles

Hey there! I am the founder of UsingMiles. In regards to security, it is our # 1 priority. We use 256-bit SSL encryption, which is the same security that banks use. All data is protected and validated byVeriSign. We follow industry-standard best-practices including PKI infrastructure to secure all account information inside the database. The people that built UM come from a mobile payments background, so we are extremely sensitive to the information contained within our site. We also recently passed a thorough security audit by one of the largest financial institutions in the world.

In regards to AA, we were NOT named in the recent injunction (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...wardWallet.pdf), and hope to have a solution for you in the recent future. We can't say much else now, but please be patient because we are working on it.

Lastly, I wanted to pass on some news regarding Austin Veith. He has not been employed or involved with UsingMiles in over a year and a half and thankfully yesterday represented closure for many of his victims, including us (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_21255597). We are happy to get guys like this off the street, because they make it tough on us entrepreneurs (and our investors) who are building legitimate, well-intentioned, helpful and useful businesses. UsingMiles.com is 100% focused on serving our expanding list of partners and fast-growing membership base. We were thrilled to reach a huge milestone this week as we hit the 9 billion-mark in the number of points and miles we manage for our members!

Any other questions...? REACH OUT! We're listening! Thanks for your support!

Krista
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Thanks for the clarifications!! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.