ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold

Subject is easy enough. I know all the standard ITA language by heart, but I now have a desire to fly a 777 & 747 domestically (i don't care which carrier). I want to be able to search for any one segment on a type of equipment.

Something LIke this (I just don't know the equipment query.)

MCI:: XX+ ~equip=747 XX+
LAX:: XX+ ~equip=747 XX+

Any ideas?

Mod, Please move this to the MR discussion forum.

Last edited by ja_user; Aug 21, 2007 at 8:22 pm Reason: Forgot about discussion forum.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
I've never heard of it, but it certainly could be possible. I've found ITA pretty good at responding to user requests, so if you just ask them you'll probably get your answer.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:39 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by ja_user
Subject is easy enough. I know all the standard ITA language by heart, but I now have a desire to fly a 777 & 747 domestically (i don't care which carrier). I want to be able to search for any one segment on a type of equipment.

Something LIke this (I just don't know the equipment query.)

MCI:: XX+ ~equip=747 XX+
LAX:: XX+ ~equip=747 XX+

Any ideas?

Mod, Please move this to the MR discussion forum.
Unfortunately, we don't currently support this, though it wouldn't be hard to add. I'll look into adding it in a future release.
royng and moreaki like this.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
Unfortunately, we don't currently support this, though it wouldn't be hard to add. I'll look into adding it in a future release.
Thank you for your reply. I am sure others would use it occasionally, but probably not often.

It would be especially usefull if you could exclude equipment by segment, as well as include.

So we could say NOT ERJ RJ3 or whatever. I know that there already exists a keyword for prop's, I just don't remember the syntax.
Old May 31, 2008, 6:28 am

Programs: DL GM
Any change? I am currently looking for 744 and 772 flights from New York to Europe (any country).
Old May 31, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Thanks for keeping an eye on this forum and for being responsive to requests. I am sure some people will find this feature useful.

However, the feature that FT universe will go crazy about is what I had requested in another post: Add the columns for Total Miles and Cost/Mile to the results and make those columns sortable. That too should be easy to program in and will be greatly appreciated.

To OP: In the meantime, ITA already has a command to avoid propeller planes that will put you 1/2 way there.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.

Been searching fares for some international trips and I have been alarmed at how inaccurate ITA matrix fare searches have been recently.

For example, WAS-MNL, TPE-WAS open jaw on Delta (or other airlines) economy fares or MNL-YVR business / first class fares.

More specifically, choose a cheap outbound date for WAS-MNL with a Jan. 3 or 4 return TPE-WAS fare. ITA says the lowest fare is $2821 even when you restrict your search to Delta alone (currently drops to $2817 for Delta flights when you search for all airlines), Delta easily books to a $2134 fare, slightly lower was possible with further tweaking. There are many, many more cases where I have seen the same kind of inaccuracies for ITAsoftware. Anyone else experiencing such difficulties with matrix.itasoftware.com?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: NW-PE (ret.) DL-Diamond & 1M, Hertz #1, UA-1P
Not infrequently I see wide variations in prices between ITA and OTAs or airlines' sites.
I had figured it was to do with the timing of fare filings and availabilities. That is, ITA was finding fares the booking sites either no longer had or had not yet received.
Thus, when keen on a specific fare or destination, I'd search at different times throughout the day in the event the second assumed possibility were true.
Clearly, just my $.02
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Desdinova
I had figured it was to do with the timing of fare filings and availabilities. That is, ITA was finding fares the booking sites either no longer had or had not yet received.
I've seen the same thing so this is part of the issue at least. But I am seeing a lot of these discrepencies. My perception is that matrix searches are running out of gas more quickly than they use to - i.e., the failure rate at retreiving the lowest fares goes up more quickly as one increases the scope of a fare search.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Did you confirm DL will actually let you book at that fare, or do you get one of those infamous "This fare has just sold out" error messages after you hit Purchase?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA, AE
Limiting search scope sometimes works for me to pull out some of those unusually low fares.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rawilliam
Limiting search scope sometimes works for me to pull out some of those unusually low fares.
I'm getting odd results for simple domestic fares too. Some flights simply aren't showing up on ITA, even thought they're bookable on United.com. And Kayak is showing me a multi-city itinerary for $100 cheaper than anything I can book on ITA.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Did you confirm DL will actually let you book at that fare, or do you get one of those infamous "This fare has just sold out" error messages after you hit Purchase?
Actually, prior to posting this I went through and purchased 4 of these roundtrips (at different times) without problems on delta.com even though I usually couldn't get the lowest available fare to show on Matrix. Delta.com sometimes readily showed the lowest fare, but at other times it was necessary to put in connections by multi-city or to use other tricks to get it to show on Delta.com. I had to use experflyer.com and a few other websites to confirm the lowest fare available for my travel dates. I played around with this for a few hours, that's why I'm confident that something is going wrong with the usually reliable ITAsoftware Matrix engine. I had to use multiple avenues to ensure I was getting the lowest fare because I wasn't getting reliable results from Matrix2 even when greatly narrowing my search parameters.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:51 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

If you haven't done so already, we would love to hear about these issues through the comments link on the site. Please provide specific examples, somebody will look into them.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: Oneworld sapphire (IB)
If you haven't done so already, we would love to hear about these issues through the comments link on the site. Please provide specific examples, somebody will look into them.
The low cost carriers in Europe are not included in the software. I use European comparison sites instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.