Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If an airline is playing married sector games, then ITA won't always produce reliable results because of the way that it works. AIUI, the Matrix tool does not look up availability in real time for the requested itinerary but uses cached sector-by-sector availability results. My impression is that it will therefore construct and price itineraries for which there is availability when asked for sector by sector, but if a real-time search results in the airline denying inventory in the required class when the entire itinerary is asked for because of married sector games, then ITA will not detect that.

EF is a better guide to true real-time availability in these situations, because it does make a real-time request of the airline for the requested itinerary.

This is one of the reasons that someone who values these travel tools should always be prepared to use them in combination.
Thanks for the reply. Sadly, this is along the lines of what I was expecting to hear. Though it seems slightly strange to me too - ITA can pull up booking class P, but I have checked multiple times with EF using every single combination of O-D, origin-connection, and connection-connection to try and see P class, but all I can see is Z class. Any suggestions as to why I can't find this mythical P class?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by hydrogen
ITA can pull up booking class P, but I have checked multiple times with EF using every single combination of O-D, origin-connection, and connection-connection to try and see P class, but all I can see is Z class. Any suggestions as to why I can't find this mythical P class?
Do you mean that using EF you can see Z class but you can't see P class at all? Or is it that you can see positive numbers in Z class but only zeroes in P class?

At any rate, if ITA is returning a result that prices using P class, have you tried checking availability using EF sector by sector? If so, you may find that there is P class on each individual sector, but that the airline will not sell you a P class seat for the through-itinerary.

Other than that, it's very hard to suggest any more ideas in the abstract.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Probably asked this before, but does anyone know how Matrix handles married segments?
Looking to book an AC/CA itinerary on AC ticket stock but Matrix constantly shows a cheaper fare than can be found via AC/OTAs
Matrix shows P class availability but can only access Z via AC/OTAs. Even Expertflyer doesn't really show P class availability on the O-D search or the TPAC segment (but does if I search AC Canada-Asia segment without including CA segment).
Is this an issue with Matrix's handling of married segments, failure to search inventory in real-time, or something else?
Would love to ticket at P class but having difficult doing so via AC/OTA (even BookWithMatrix doesn't work). Any thoughts?
Post a screenshot of what you're trying to book, much easier then to help
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by fuyao
Post a screenshot of what you're trying to book, much easier then to help

For example, Matrix shows this, but EF shows no P class availability...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:04 pm

Hi all,
Any way to specify fares including checked baggage only?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by shallowdrift
Hi all,
Any way to specify fares including checked baggage only?
The question is a good one. And one I have wished I have had an answer to - but I don’t.

I imagine that it is different for every airline. And that on some (most?) airlines it is driven by fare class. And if it is driven by fare class, ITA can probably crank out the answer. But I am unaware of anyone listing the fares for each airline by the various abilities, like checked baggage.

i wish someone would. Which airline(s) are most important to you? Maybe you can ask your question in those specific airline forums.

Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I don’t think it’s that easy, unfortunately. For example, SAS sells the same booking classes (e.g. T class) both with and without bags included.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I don’t think it’s that easy, unfortunately. For example, SAS sells the same booking classes (e.g. T class) both with and without bags included.
Yes, I found this issue too. I ended up getting rid of the fares I needed to for the route I was looking at by excluding those ending B4 or LGT.
As mentioned on another thread, I don't know of a single search engine that allows you to search including a checked bag on a multi city itinerary which is quite frustrating.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL PM
Is there a way to force the routing to include an overnight (red-eye) flight? There used to be the -overnight (with/without S) command in the past to exclude overnights (I don't think that works now), but I am looking for the opposite.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
Is there a way to force the routing to include an overnight (red-eye) flight? There used to be the -overnight (with/without S) command in the past to exclude overnights (I don't think that works now), but I am looking for the opposite.
MINCONNECT/MAXCONECT? You can use the MINCONNECT value to force a minimum connect time. I often use MAXCONNECT for the opposite, to eliminate overnight connections.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:45 pm

I don't think that would work in this case. I am looking for an eastbound transcon, that goes LAX-XXX-YYY, and I want ITA Matrix to give back results only where that first segment is a red-eye.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
The “preferred times” option doesn’t help?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:07 pm

Unfortunately not exactly, because some red-eyes leave before midnight (night, after 9pm) and some leave after midnight (early morning, before 8am). Checking both options will also include first flights out in the morning, like 6am. Checking just the night option will leave out red-eyes that leave at like 12:30am.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Unfortunately not exactly, because some red-eyes leave before midnight (night, after 9pm) and some leave after midnight (early morning, before 8am). Checking both options will also include first flights out in the morning, like 6am. Checking just the night option will leave out red-eyes that leave at like 12:30am.
Alternatively how about specifying it as "arriving on" the desired arrival date and limiting arrival time to morning. Might need to combine with maxdur.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I don't think that would work in this case. I am looking for an eastbound transcon, that goes LAX-XXX-YYY, and I want ITA Matrix to give back results only where that first segment is a red-eye.
Use MINCONNECT with the multi-city search so you can force it on the segment you want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.