ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:49 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Could you let me know the details of your search? I will have someone look into it.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
@ITA Hacker:
The same issue recently came up in a German forum.
You can have a look at

CGN, QKL, DUS, FRA
to
EWR, PHL

Round trip in business class.
Outbound March 11, inbound March 15.

The search is quick (so I'm not sure if it's really the timeout issue), but the cheapest flights ITA Matrix finds are with United for ~4,400€.
Google Flights, however, finds TAP for ~2,300€ (granted, with a long layover), and also a mix-cabin flight with Aer Lingus:
https://www.google.de/flights/?hl=en&gl=de#flt=aCGN,aQKL,aDUS,aFRA.EWR,/m/0dclg.2019-03-11*EWR,/m/0dclg.aCGN,aQKL,aDUS,aFRA.2019-03-15;c:EUR;e:1;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

Manually specifying the connecting airport (DUB or LIS) helps ITA Matrix find the flights.
My understanding has always been that ITA Matrix will try to find the cheapest flights and doesn't do any "convenience ranking" like Google does, right?
My guess would be that flights with long layovers are checked last and that the search times out before the algorithm ever gets around to checking these fares.
But then again, the search is so fast that it doesn't really look like that timeout problem...

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:17 am

There are relatively low economy fares in some dates for CPH-NYC-CPH (actual route is for example CPH-FRA-YYZ-LGA...JFK-ZRH-CPH). I can find it in many ITAs for $300-$350. It would be convenient for me to have a 23-30 hour stop in Toronto. If I use "minconnect 1300" option in ITA Matrix, it gives me multiple results with the same price. But I can't find them in Bookwithmatrix or any ITA. How would you go about booking this?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Have you tried the ITA Matrix Powertools?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:01 am

Powertools worked!

I tried to use it some time ago, but installation process put me off. Now I installed it and am amazed Curious thing: after opening the route from ITA Matrix in Momondo, return flight is different (connecting in VIE instead of ZRH), but in general, it works
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: LuxExpress VIP
I have a 4 leg flight, and I would like to force a layover after the third leg. Are there any codes for this puprose?
Old May 16, 2019, 12:42 pm

Split it into a multi-city search, then use the minconnect option.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:59 pm

I currently have flights like so: TLL-HEL-LHR-PHL-YYZ-LGA.
What would be the smart way to split it up so that I could have a longer time in YYZ?
I can't get into the same fare really when doing TLL-HEL-LHR-PHL and then YYZ-LGA.

Last edited by vanaema78; May 16, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by vanaema78
I currently have flights like so: TLL-HEL-LHR-PHL-YYZ-LGA.
What would be the smart way to split it up so that I could have a longer time in YYZ?
I can't get into the same fare really when doing TLL-HEL-LHR-PHL and then YYZ-LGA.
What happens if you split the search into TLL-HEL-LHR-PHL-YYZ and then YYZ-LGA? Or if you split it into TLL-HEL-LHR-PHL and PHL-YYZ-LGA with a minconnect switch for that connection?
Old May 16, 2019, 3:45 pm

Maybe there is no possible layover connection (<24h) in that booking class and stopovers aren't allowed in the fare rules?
Old May 16, 2019, 4:30 pm

You both might be right. Splitting it like Globaliser suggested does not give any good results.
I was trying to recreate a fare that a travel agent quoted to me, but no luck. The fare code itself is quoted between TLL and NYC.
Funny that I even have some training on amadeus, but no longer the opportunity of having fun in the GDS.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Hi guys, could you help me with this command

"alliance oneworld; f bc=H; NYC :: / minconnect 10:00"

I want a long connection in JFK but a short connection in LHR
Old May 30, 2019, 6:49 am

That is literally answered right above your question.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:37 am

Probably asked this before, but does anyone know how Matrix handles married segments?
Looking to book an AC/CA itinerary on AC ticket stock but Matrix constantly shows a cheaper fare than can be found via AC/OTAs
Matrix shows P class availability but can only access Z via AC/OTAs. Even Expertflyer doesn't really show P class availability on the O-D search or the TPAC segment (but does if I search AC Canada-Asia segment without including CA segment).
Is this an issue with Matrix's handling of married segments, failure to search inventory in real-time, or something else?
Would love to ticket at P class but having difficult doing so via AC/OTA (even BookWithMatrix doesn't work). Any thoughts?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Probably asked this before, but does anyone know how Matrix handles married segments?
If an airline is playing married sector games, then ITA won't always produce reliable results because of the way that it works. AIUI, the Matrix tool does not look up availability in real time for the requested itinerary but uses cached sector-by-sector availability results. My impression is that it will therefore construct and price itineraries for which there is availability when asked for sector by sector, but if a real-time search results in the airline denying inventory in the required class when the entire itinerary is asked for because of married sector games, then ITA will not detect that.

EF is a better guide to true real-time availability in these situations, because it does make a real-time request of the airline for the requested itinerary.

This is one of the reasons that someone who values these travel tools should always be prepared to use them in combination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.