ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:22 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by staticx813
seems like i can get that to work, but it would pull up anything other than JL. but what if i only want airlines within the oneworld alliance but NOT JL only, and not any other alliance/airline?
I did say "add" You can specify both ~JL in the routing codes box and alliance oneworld in the extension codes box.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by staticx813
seems like i can get that to work, but it would pull up anything other than JL. but what if i only want airlines within the oneworld alliance but NOT JL only, and not any other alliance/airline?
You have to use the ~O:JL+ in conjunction with the ALLIANCE ONEWORLD

Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Can't get Delta.com, delta phone agent, kayak, orbitz, travelocity etc to price this out

"bookwithmatrix" seems to maybe would work, but bad reviews scare me

Anything else i can do aside from getting an IATA license and booking it myself??

Gonna try amex plat travel service tomorrow

UPDATE: Delta web support agent priced this at $1600+ saying return flights priced in K and H class and not V class..... why does ITA show V class then? Is it ITA or Delta flaking out?

Washington (DCA) to New York (JFK) — Fri, Aug 10
Delta 5252
Dep: 5:00 pm
Arr: 6:40 pm
1h 40m
Canadair RJ 900
Economy (V)
OPERATED BY ENDEAVOR AIR DBA DELTA CONNECTION
Layover in JFK
4h 19m

New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) — Fri, Aug 10
Delta 468
Dep: 10:59 pm
Arr: 4:50 pm
10h 51m
Airbus A330
Economy (V)
DinnerIn-seat Video Player
Sat, Aug 11
Tel Aviv (TLV) to Washington (DCA) — Sat, Aug 18
Long layoverOvernight flight

Tel Aviv (TLV) to Paris (CDG) — Sat, Aug 18
Delta 8532
Dep: 8:05 am
Arr: 12:10 pm
5h 5m
Airbus A320
Economy (V)
Breakfast
OPERATED BY AIR FRANCE
Layover in CDG
1h 40m

Paris (CDG) to Atlanta (ATL) — Sat, Aug 18
Delta 8606
Dep: 1:50 pm
Arr: 5:15 pm
9h 25m
Boeing 777
Economy (V)
Lunch
OPERATED BY AIR FRANCE
Layover in ATL
14h 10m

Atlanta (ATL) to Washington (DCA) — Sun, Aug 19
Delta 2638
Dep: 7:25 am
Arr: 9:10 am
1h 45m
Airbus A321
Economy (V)
In-seat Video Player
Mileage
12,841 total miles
Airport Information
Washington Ronald Reagan National (DCA)
Tel Aviv-Yafo Ben Gurion International (TLV)
New York John F Kennedy International (JFK)
Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG)
Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International (ATL)
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
$726.91
Total cost for 1 passenger
$726.91

How to buy this ticket
Tickets cannot be purchased directly from ITA Software.
Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.
Fare for 1 adult
Fare 1: Carrier DL VHML06M1 WAS to TLV (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code V
Covers DCA-JFK (Economy), JFK-TLV (Economy)
$84.00
Fare 2: Carrier DL VHML06M1 TLV to WAS (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code V
Covers TLV-CDG (Economy), CDG-ATL (Economy), ATL-DCA (Economy)
$134.00
US Transportation Tax (US)
$37.39
DL YR surcharge (YR)
$368.00
US September 11th Security Fee (AY)
$11.20
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)
$13.50
France Passenger Service Charge International (QX)
$22.20
France Airport Tax Domestic And International (FR)
$9.10
United States Immigration User Fee (XY)
$7.00
United States Customs User Fee (YC)
$5.65
United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA)
$3.96
Israel Departure Passenger Airport Tax International (IL)
$26.81
US Flight Segment Tax (ZP)
$4.10
Subtotal per passenger
$726.91
Number of passengers
x1
Subtotal For 1 adult
$726.91
This ticket is non-refundable.
Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.
Fare Construction (can be useful to travel agents)
WAS DL X/NYC DL TLV M 84.00VHML06M1 DL X/PAR Q50.00 DL X/ATL DL WAS M 84.00VHML06M1 NUC 218.00 END ROE 1.00 ZP ATL XT 5.65YC 7.00XY 3.96XA 37.39US 4.10ZP 11.20AY 26.81IL 9.10FR 22.20QX 368.00YR 13.50XF DCA4.50 JFK4.50 ATL4.50
Total Airfare & Taxes
$726.91
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Lufthansa , British Airways, IHG, Hilton, Marriott
Hi,

You need an agency that uses Amadeus. Tell them to book flights in Y class and then Best buy it. If you try and book in V class you wont get the correct fare.1 P1
ITINERARY REBOOKED
LAST TKT DTE 06AUG18/22:22 LT in POS - SEE ADV PURCHASE
------------------------------------------------------------
AL FLGT BK T DATE TIME FARE BASIS NVB NVA BG
WAS
XNYC DL 5252 V V 10AUG 1700 VHML06M1 10DEC 1P
TLV DL 468 V V 10AUG 2259 VHML06M1 10DEC 1P
XPAR DL 8532 V *V 18AUG 0805 VHML06M1 12AUG10DEC 1P
XATL DL 8606 V *V 18AUG 1350 VHML06M1 12AUG10DEC 1P
WAS DL 2638 V *V 19AUG 0725 VHML06M1 12AUG10DEC 1P

USD 218.00 10AUG18WAS DL X/NYC DL TLV M84.00DL X/PAR
GBP 167.00 DL X/ATL Q50.00DL WAS M84.00NUC218.00END
GBP 281.80-YR ROE1.000000
GBP 4.30-YC XT GBP 14.00-US GBP 14.00-US GBP 3.00-XA
GBP 92.80-XT GBP 5.40-XY GBP 8.60-AY GBP 20.50-IL GBP
GBP 545.90 17.00-QX GBP 6.90-FR GBP 3.40-XF JFK4.50Thanks

Barry
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Can't get Delta.com, delta phone agent, kayak, orbitz, travelocity etc to price this out

"bookwithmatrix" seems to maybe would work, but bad reviews scare me
I've never used it, but my understanding of bookwithmatrix is that it's (either literally or functionally equivalent to) a wrapper around the powertools/userscript. i.e. it's not an OTA and will redirect you to Delta to complete booking, so there is nothing to be afraid of.

However based on what you describe, whenever I have experienced something similar it is because either (1) ITA does not consider married segments when pricing out fares, and will return a V fare s long as there is V on each segment individually, or (2) some other obscure part of the fare rules were being violated (minimum length of open jaw etc.)

Yours seems like a straightforward round trip so I would guess it's (1). If that's the case, the userscript/bookwithmatrix aren't going to work either -- they may give you a link to book at DL that appears to price out at the V fare but when you reach final checkout you'll get an error message about the fare being sold out or "the price has gone up."

Last edited by Zorak; Aug 6, 2018 at 7:17 am
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
thx everyone
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA
When I try to price the itinerary below using the "Round Trip" tab on ITA, I get $588.70. When I try to do it by segment on the "Multi-City" tab, I get $890.70. Dates and flights are exactly the same, but it bumps up the fare code from K to T. Does anyone know why?

Oct 8: LH7061 PVG to MUC
Oct 8: LH5468 MUC to STN
Oct 14: LH903 LHR to FRA
Oct 14: LH728 FRA to PVG
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
(1) ITA does not consider married segments when pricing out fares, and will return a V fare s long as there is V on each segment individually, or (2) some other obscure part of the fare rules were being violated (minimum length of open jaw etc.)
ITA is the producer of the world’s leading pricing software. I’m pretty sure Matrix understands married segments. See the post by bazza1603 for how to book it on Amadeus. As usual, you need a competent agent.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
ITA is the producer of the world’s leading pricing software. I’m pretty sure Matrix understands married segments. See the post by bazza1603 for how to book it on Amadeus. As usual, you need a competent agent.
Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that (I forget if there's some other tool maybe that only shows inventory segment by segment)

Obviously, if ITA routinely ignored married segment logic then it would be pretty quickly noticeable.

All software has bugs though so it's not inconceivable there's some edge case where things go wrong. I've had at least one case where it felt like that was what was going on, but in the absence of an actual current example I withdraw my remarks.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:48 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
ITA Matrix multiple carriers and codeshare only assistance

Mods, please move this if I've posted in wrong topic.

In the image below I have unchecked the Multiple Carriers box since I only want to see full CZ and MU routings, but the CZ and MU + others routings are shown (others being the carriers I unchecked). Is it possible to set an option so only the entire routings are shown for the airlines of interest?

Also, it is possibe to only show flights by certain airlines which have codeshare flight numbers only? I want to avoid buying tickets on AF and KL but I do not mind having a codeshare flight on an AF or KL aircraft, e.g. a CZ or MU flight number (or all other SkyTeam carriers). This is because of the ridiculous Flying Blue Miles earning by ticket price now on AF and KL, but if flying on a CZ or MU etc. codeshare flight number on an AF or KL aircraft still earns Miles based on distance, sub-booking class and elite status, so more Miles earned.

Thanks

Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes totally possible it’s a bug. ITA Hacker is usually grateful for detailed bug reports.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:46 am

Type "airlines MU CZ" in the extension code box. This will search for the carriers you want including codeshares.

siw likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:18 pm

Not a bug.
Airline systems are funny sometimes. Many times breaking up the segments in an actual segment by segment booking its cheaper than booking it as through-fare, even if its on the same ticket. It all depends on how fares are filed in ATPCO.
Also keep in mind that ALL GDS, OTAs,.. use automatic pricing engines, meaning the cheapest result a computer might find is not always the cheapest because the cheapest would mean to actually manual override marketing carrier, using a specific fare,... but that specific result was timed out before the results came back in.
You see that very often in the U.S. domestic sector, so when you do a search on kayak/GDS/ITA for NYC-LAX via MSP it can be pricier than NYC-MSP-LAX and feeding the GDS segment by segment.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
I've never used it, but my understanding of bookwithmatrix is that it's (either literally or functionally equivalent to) a wrapper around the powertools/userscript. i.e. it's not an OTA and will redirect you to Delta to complete booking, so there is nothing to be afraid of.
Yes and no.
Bookwithmatrix generates a deeplink, but for certain itineraries you can also book with them directly. Last I checked they only accept U.S. customers + cards thou.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
+cabin premium-coach

should work. The name used by our internal debugging tool that happens to be exposed on matrix is a holdover from 2006...
Does anyone know what the other cabin classes are called in ITA?

premium-coach works for me, but everything else (business, first, coach, economy, business-first) always say: "SLICE-PERMITTED-CABINS: "business-first" is not a Bc Bin"
Also Y, C, F as used in Amadeus with /ky isn't working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.