ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by aktchi
Anybody figured out how to avoid Basic Economy?
If you mean across multiple airlines, then presuming you know the relevant fare codes:

Originally Posted by windwalker
Any way to exclude all basic economy fares ?
OW flights(RDU-SAN)
I've tried
f ~bc=e n b
f ~bc=E ~bc=B ~bc=N
f ~(bc=e bc=b bc=n)

It's my understanding that Basic economy for
UA=N
AA=B
DL=E
Originally Posted by psbaj
Try this: f ~(ua,bc=N|aa,bc=B|dl,bc=E)
armouredant likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
On which airline? On BA for example ITA gives Plus fare results.
None in particular. Just exclude basic economy. Like ITA lets you exclude all economy fares or all business fares.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I think "basic" is used in different ways by different folk and airlines. Do you mean wanting to travel in premium economy type cabins?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
This has already been answered in the past.
Basic economy is not a different class of travel (after all, it’s the same seat), so you have to figure out the booking classes for your specific airline and then filter based on that.
There is no way for ITA to know if a fare is “basic” or “regular” economy.
aktchi likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
This has already been answered in the past.
Basic economy is not a different class of travel (after all, it’s the same seat), so you have to figure out the booking classes for your specific airline and then filter based on that.
There is no way for ITA to know if a fare is “basic” or “regular” economy.
Even that doesn't always work. BA offer same fare bucket (say L) as Basic which is handbaggage only or Plus with checked bag and free change on day of travel. Hence my question as to what sub-OP was looking for. ITA can find L availability and will give Plus price. Basic can then usually be booked as well at chosen point of sale.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Even that doesn't always work. BA offer same fare bucket (say L) as Basic which is handbaggage only or Plus with checked bag and free change on day of travel. Hence my question as to what sub-OP was looking for. ITA can find L availability and will give Plus price. Basic can then usually be booked as well at chosen point of sale.
BA's basic economy fares are currently filed as private fares, so IATA doesn't see them.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
BA's basic economy fares are currently filed as private fares, so IATA doesn't see them.
Agreed, and without knowing which airline(s) or type of travel the requestor was asking about it's unclear how those fares are represented (or not) on ITA.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
Thanks, I found it on cheapoair, is this site legit?
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I don’t think I’ve booked with Cheapoair, but I think they’re legit, yes. At least they show up on Kayak, Momondo etc. all the time.
I have used CheapoAir. They are definitely legit, but don't expect a lot of customer service in unusual / unexpected circumstances. IIRC (but no guarantees) they are now part of the Expedia empire.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:03 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses re Basic Economy and ITA. It makes sense that BE is not a separate cabin and thus not differentiated by ITA (except via booking code). An airline's own site will of course explain which fare is which. However, OTAs and partners won't.

This means that in complex itineraries involving multiple airlines, you could inadvertently find yourself in a flight without checked luggage or seat-selection privileges.

This happened to me on a JL segment in a complex itinerary involving AA, CX, MH, and JL. As a OneWorld Emerald, I received the normal elite treatment on the first three carriers, but JL wouldn't even let me choose a seat till very close to the flight date. Ironically this is something you can routinely do on various airlines where you don't even have a status. For example, I have no relationship with Air Asia, but during the same trip could choose decent seats on their flights for a small fee. At JL I was completely locked out. (It seems that the only way out is to research each segment's booking code and then call to up-fare while purchasing. What a pain.)

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 9, 2018 at 10:45 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Anyone got lists of airports broken out by country which can be cut & pasted into ITA ?
Any chance I can get a copy ?!
Why not use the 'nearby' feature in ITA Matrix?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(It seems that the only way out is to research each segment's booking code and then call to up-fare while purchasing. What a pain.)
That’s not sufficient because not every carrier distinguishes basic economy by booking code.

Also on a multiple segment single ticket the IATA rule on baggage allowances or the US DoT rule may take precedence over a carrier’s normal policies.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Why not use the 'nearby' feature in ITA Matrix?
It doesn’t restrict it to the same country.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It makes sense that BE is not a separate cabin and thus not differentiated by ITA (except via booking code).
As explained above, on some airlines basic economy is not even differentiated by booking code/class.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
ITA now doesn't allow for searches with multiple country origins (eg, MEX, LAX to XXX)? Starting a few months ago, "Journeys with origins in multiple countries are not supported" pops up.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
ITA now doesn't allow for searches with multiple country origins (eg, MEX, LAX to XXX)? Starting a few months ago, "Journeys with origins in multiple countries are not supported" pops up.
We know. It's been the main topic in this thread for the last couple of months.
armouredant likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.