ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
What's the reason for removing that feature?
That is a good question ... Matrix is powered by Google. Google flights UK https://www.google.co.uk/flights is also now behaving strangely ... unable to enter multiple departure airports.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:42 pm

This is a real shame… not only was it useful for the cases mentioned above, but also if someone is fairly flexible with their destinations and has a list of possibilities (either for status running, or just to visit different places).
Old May 2, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
As far as I've understood, you can still select destinations from multiple countries, just not departure airports.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ukflo
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I got this in response to my query:

We no longer support searches that include multiple origin countries. Sorry for the reduction in functionality, and the bad error message.

nooooooooo. That’s disastrous.

I appreciate this isn’t moving the debate on but multi-departure point functionality across Europe where it is (relatively) simple to move from country to Country was the whole point of matrix for me and loads of others. It’s saved me lots of time (and thus money) in trip planning.
Anyone know why they change and can they be persuaded to reinstate it!
zkzkz, Sisyphus1carus and andydd like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Caution: All of the following is complete speculation, but FWIW:-

ITA has always been an exercise in attempting to manage the inherenly unmanageable. As soon as you start specifying different alternatives in the same search, the number of theoretical possibilities can quickly spiral out of control into the millions - and that's just routings, before ITA starts trying to match availability against potentially valid fares.

Airlines typically treat each separate country as one market, and file a single/coherent set of fares for each market. Hence, for example, those of us who are regulars on BA will be familiar with the former phenomenon that cheap ex-OSL long-haul fares were generally also available ex-BGO and ex-SVG, but these could be very different from (say) ex-ARN or ex-CPH fares.

If origin is restricted by ITA to a single market, then what this may do is limit the number of fare families that ITA has to consult to return results for any single search. My gut instinct is that because fare families depend critically on the country of origin, you may not get quite the same level of complexity if there are multiple potential destinations in multiple countries. But at any rate, limiting the number of fare families that have to be searched will reduce complexity, and this is one way of doing it.

There are all sorts of possible reasons why ITA might have decided to do this; I can't even begin to hazard a guess as to what they were. But one thing I can express is a hope: if complexity is reduced, then maybe the search results that are returned will become more accurate. IME, there have been increasing (reproducible) instances of things not being quite right in search results. Experience of using ITA has taught me when to ignore the glitches and press on to get an accurate final result, but there is the potential for this to improve search results.

The small downside is that we may simply have to learn to be less lazy when searching.
mihaid and Calchas like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The small downside is that we may simply have to learn to be less lazy when searching.
I don't mind being less 'lazy' (i.e. searching one origin point at a time) however the functionality to see a calendar range of fares is not there when using the multi city tool, which will surely become the default option when seeking different start / end points.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by deboyzoned

This really is bad news as I regularly use this feature for my weekly commute between London and EU. As I’m located half way between FRA and BSL, I used this tool to get optimum prices ... I.e BSL-LHR-FRA etc ...
OMG, The multi-city feature was exactly what I need in order to secure relative cheap tickets because I live near the border and can go to alternative airports across the border.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Oh no
Old May 3, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Spoiler

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; May 3, 2018 at 10:22 am
Old May 3, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Wait ... !!!! So this seems to be an 'Enhancement' to use BA's terminology for making something much worse !
This has to be brought back, its like THE most useful feature of ITA.

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; May 3, 2018 at 10:21 am
Old May 3, 2018, 10:16 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Am getting an error whenever I put multiple origin airport codes in :-(

Multiple JOCs found in slice 0, constrain origins to a single country. SPLIT-TICKET-MODE in effect was NIL. Itinerary index 12

Anyone else getting it ?
Any clues as to why ??
Anything I can do to fix it ?
Scroll up and read a few posts right above yours, starting with #1599 .
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ukflo
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I got this in response to my query:

We no longer support searches that include multiple origin countries. Sorry for the reduction in functionality, and the bad error message.
Has Alex Cruz taken over and this is one of his 'enhancements' ??
This is a total disaster.
Why has this been done ?
Pressure from airlines to prevent people from finding the best deals ??

Utter disaster and pretty much the best feature of ITA :-(
Old May 3, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
This is a total disaster.
Why has this been done ?
Pressure from airlines to prevent people from finding the best deals ??
Not likely, given that all of the information is still there, and it simply takes a little more effort to get it.

"Total disaster"? That must be from the school of hyperbole! Anyone who's prepared to do a bit of legwork will still see what's on offer. And it might even be more accurate now than it has been.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
They should remove the 'nearby' (airports) function though as that will obviously not work across borders now.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:21 pm

ITA source country airport limitation

If this feature was to stay (unfortunately)..then it would make sense to restrict nearby airport to only show airports from the same country.

First constant fantom availability for TK, LX and few other airlines..then sudden demise of Onthefly tool.

I realize that ITA is a free tool but then theres no other paid tool as well that will even closely match the uniqueness & functionality of ITA. ITA is an indispensable tool for those who know how to use it correctly. Wish they bring this feature back.

For the argument that this would enhance the reliability of the search result, I would say that it's better to have the option.. if I wanted to have different departure country, it must be possible to check that box and then user understands that results may not be that reliable. In good old days, when processing power was much weaker, ITA performed relatively pretty well and I hardly see any reason to further reduce the features in ITA.

Wish Google didnt treated ITA as second cousin

Last edited by andydd; May 3, 2018 at 2:02 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.