ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I didn't find this specific command for excluding UA Basic Economy fares, so thought I'd add it for people searching.

Add this to exclude all N Basic Economy fares from UA search results:

F ~BC=N

pbartp and Pdg like this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:16 am

Solution for missing matrix.itasoftware data

Originally Posted by JohnAx
For the past month or so matrix.itasoftware.com seems likely to return a very incomplete list of flights, even for very simple queries.

e.g. "One-way: Los Angeles to DFW, ORD, SEA, PDX, YVR, YUL, Thu, Aug 10" returns just 10 flights, and the only AA flight is to PDX.

Qualifying the carrier with AA+ returns 8 AA flights, including one to DFW but none to ORD.

Specifying just ORD as the destination (still AA+ for carrier) returns 10 AA flights.

Removing the carrier specification returns a total of 9 flights LAX-ORD, two of which are AA.

Not seeing a general outcry, I suppose I'm the only one with this problem, but it makes the tool essentially useless. Any thoughts?
Experimentally, it seems that putting something in the Advanced Controls fields fixes the problem. I tried 'N' - nonstop flight on any carrier and 'X' - one or more flights - and the results looked very good.

I didn't make a project out of it to say the results became 'perfect' but the new list was dramatically more inclusive.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: BA silver
Matrix age groups

Hi,
I've just noticed on Matrix that you can tick a box for over 62 yrs old. Is there a different price for older people?
Does it matter if you have not ticked this if you are over 62?

Not that I am over 62!!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sarahuk
Hi,
I've just noticed on Matrix that you can tick a box for over 62 yrs old. Is there a different price for older people?

Not that I am over 62!!
These days, very rarely.

But the technical infrastructure is there so an airline can apply different fares for seniors if it wishes, similar to infants (under 2) with and without a seat, children (under 12), unaccompanied children, youths, et c.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by sarahuk
Hi,

Not that I am over 62!!
Some airlines have different fare rules for different passenger types. For instance, AF offers a Seniors Fare for Martinique residents over 60 years old. http://www.airfrance.com/MQ/fr/local..._airfrance.htm (site is only available in French)
It's basically the same fare as anyone else but there is no change fee, no minimum stay, and the ticket is refundable for a 90€ fee.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:04 pm

Can I search on ITA one way biz return coach?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:13 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ILman
Can I search on ITA one way biz return coach?
You can using the +cabin code in the advanced controls. Setup your search like this:

Cabin 1 is First
Cabin 2 is Business
Cabin 3 is Economy

Results should allow something like this:
bodory, aktchi, Hyacinthe and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:50 am

how to set up fix fare only for one leg in matrix

the internary is
HND, NRT - MIA, FLL, PBI, EYW, MLB, SRQ, MCO
31 Dec - 4 Jan

DELTA only flights, any number stops

I need to set up class code B or M for longhaul one only first leg between TYO and first connecting city (i suppose it will be MSP, SEA, LAX, ATL, DTW).

but the thing is if i set F bc=b|bc=m - the rest leg/legs till Florida also shows only as B/M. is there any possibility to generate M and for examble T etc in one farebasis for TYO-Florida interval?

BTW way back is desired to be any cheap domestic class + K only for any Hub-TYO leg.

sorry for my english^_^

Last edited by bbwm515; Sep 20, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbwm515
the internary is
31 Dec - 4 Jan

I need to set up class code B or M for longhaul one only first leg between TYO and first connecting city (i suppose it will be MSP, SEA, LAX, ATL, DTW).

but the thing is if i set F bc=b|bc=m - the rest leg/legs till Florida also shows only as B/M. is there any possibility to generate M and for examble T etc in one farebasis for TYO-Florida interval?

BTW way back is desired to be any cheap domestic class + K only for any Hub-TYO leg.

sorry for my english^_^
Do you have a reasonable idea of what fares you want to use to construct this itinerary? Is it a through-fare or are you planning to end-on-end several fares?

The f bc=X syntax restricts the prime code of the fare in use, it doesn't necessarily set the booking code for the legs covered. If you want a T- fare, you need to use f bc=t.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bbwm515
the internary is
31 Dec - 4 Jan

Try this:-

HND, NRT::f /f bc=b
MSP, SEA, LAX, ATL, DTW

MSP, SEA, LAX, ATL, DTW::f /bc=m
MIA, FLL, PBI, EYW, MLB, SRQ, MCO

MIA, FLL, PBI, EYW, MLB, SRQ, MCO::f
MSP, SEA, LAX, ATL, DTW

MSP, SEA, LAX, ATL, DTW::f /bc=k
HND, NRT

Then uncheck the box for "Allow airport changes" before searching.

However, you need to be aware that this will restrict you to flying sector 3 from the same airport as that at which you arrived at the end of sector 2 - in other words, if you arrive at FLL on the outbound, then using this method ITA will only return inbound trips starting at FLL. So you may need to play a bit with combinations before narrowing down your search a bit more, if that is important to you.

In addition, you need to be aware that (on a quick play) it looks like this will price using four different fare components, for example BLZ0ZKMD for TYO-ATL, MA0NA0MA for ATL-FLL, UD7NA0MB for FLL-ATL and KKY02KMD for ATL-TYO. But if I have read the fare construction correctly, this example does correctly register that ATL is a connecting point in both directions.

But at least it might be a start for your research, if this is beginning to show the sort of thing you are looking for.
Calchas and bbwm515 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:23 am

I'm trying to book a flight, and see a few option on ITA Matrix... however I'm unable to reproduce the results anywhere else.

The flight is YEG to KTM on Dec 21, and returning Jan 6. Was able to pull an ITA price of $1,457 canadian, however every other site is $2,000+ If anyone can point me the right direction it would be appreciated!!

Fare 1: Carrier MU SSRCAC YEA to KTM (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code B, S
Covers YEG-YVR (Economy), YVR-KMG (Economy), KMG-KTM (Economy)
CA$560.00

Fare 2: Carrier MU SSRCAC KTM to YEA (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code S, V
Covers KTM-KMG (Economy), KMG-YVR (Economy), YVR-YEG (Economy)
CA$560.00

Fare Construction (can be useful to travel agents)
YEA WS X/YVR MU X/KMG MU KTM 455.36SSRCAC MU X/KMG MU X/YVR WS YEA 455.36SSRCAC NUC 910.72 END ROE 1.22979 XT 25.91CA 30.00SQ 1.50XG 33.60CN 12.00B6 13.60NP 13.60NQ 207.00YQ
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by SHMETA
I'm trying to book a flight, and see a few option on ITA Matrix... however I'm unable to reproduce the results anywhere else.
PM'ed you a link.

Next time, get this plugin: ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:51 am

Did someone notice the new uber cool option of specifiying the ticketing carrier:

TICKETING-CARRIER codeTICKETING-CARRIER AASpecify ticketing carrier
The only problem is that it didn't work, even though I tried many different routes

If the official ITA rep is looking into this thread, we would be happy to have this feature fixed. The only missing link would be to probably search for BFs. If matrix can do that, I am sure 1000s of the users on the special savings lounge will be very very happy
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andydd
If the official ITA rep is looking into this thread, we would be happy to have this feature fixed.
Send him a message. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/ita-hacker.html

ITA Hacker has always been very informative when I've spoken to him.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:16 am

I'm stumped by fare rules on an itinerary I am trying to book.

I want to make a longer stopover in LHR, like a few days, but doing so reprices the second leg much higher even though the fare buckets stay the same. I compared the fare rules side-by-side between the two and I couldn't find a single difference.

This is what it says about stopovers:

2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT
LIMITED TO 1 FREE AND 1 AT USD 50.00.
AND - 1 STOPOVER PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT AT
USD 75.00.

Does anyone know what fare rules might be preventing me from inserting a stopover? Does the open jaw mess up the construction?

Last edited by ccars2; Oct 10, 2017 at 11:19 am Reason: image

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.