ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:40 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IMH
Did you resolve this, chx1975? I'm having a similar issue [...]l
For the benefit of others: my booking, made at amadeus.com using a link to AA (Europe) in the Matrix PowerTools, did not ticket. I understand from a PM that chx1975's booking was also never ticketed. I've updated the AA forum thread linked to above.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle
I am trying to mix/match cities and carriers using ita to see if I can get a price on an upcoming flight, and i'm getting zero results.

NYC -> MNL

I would prefer BR 31 on May 15. If all else fails I can do NH, but the timing of BR31 is preferred.

MNL -> WAS

I would prefer to route the return through NRT on NH or UA on/around May 24, but i'm also open to going through HKG or ICN.

ITA isn't returning any results. What am I doing wrong? Searching for business class if that matters. I'm open to other carriers/routing, but would like to keep it on star alliance (i'm ok with a short leg not being on star alliance - for example if I have to go from mnl-hkg on Cathay). I eventually want to ticket this on 016 ticket stock.

If i'm inquiring for help in the wrong thread I apologize. Please let me know where I should have posted this.

Last edited by Zoltar; Apr 27, 2017 at 11:46 pm
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Have you tried this?

NYC
br,nh+
MNL

MNL
nh,ua+ hkg,icn,nrt nh,ua+
WAS
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
ITA Search result makes no sense

Hi, I have come across following results, which dont make sense (screenshots attached):

1) I've ran a search on a business flight from London to Singapore (parameters in first screenshot)

2) Search yielded in price matrix, I clicked on first fare on 8th May (£3,030), which I would expect to be the best deal for that day ("cheapest")

3) In the next view (after clicking £3,030 in previous matrix), I can see the cheapest to be £2,131)

Can somebody please explain why prices are different in steps 2) and 3)?
Anything to do with my settings/selection in step 1)?

Thanks,
Peter
Attached Images    
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by milesfreak321
Hi, I have come across following results, which dont make sense (screenshots attached):

1) I've ran a search on a business flight from London to Singapore (parameters in first screenshot)

2) Search yielded in price matrix, I clicked on first fare on 8th May (£3,030), which I would expect to be the best deal for that day ("cheapest")

3) In the next view (after clicking £3,030 in previous matrix), I can see the cheapest to be £2,131)

Can somebody please explain why prices are different in steps 2) and 3)?
Anything to do with my settings/selection in step 1)?

Thanks,
Peter
You are looking into a rather large search space (all one world airlines, with a ton of connection options, 30 days). ITA does take shortcuts to give you results quicker (e.g. only search through x fare classes of airlines operating from your origin).

The further you drill down and the more constraints you apply the better your results will be....Its a bit of science really
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Have you tried this?

NYC
br,nh+
MNL

MNL
nh,ua+ hkg,icn,nrt nh,ua+
WAS
Thank you. I am trying something similar, but gave this a shot. The BR flights do not show up out of JFK.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I am having difficulty getting ITA to search for Premium Economy (A) inventory on Air France for flights from US/Canada with ongoing connections from Paris to European cities. It only gives me a PE flight about 20% of the time, and then instead of just giving me the warning message about "this is a lower class of service" for the connection, it forces everything into Business Class instead.

Is this a new "feature" or something odd with how it's handling AF?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMH
I see you asked about this on Travel Stack Exchange (and that one of the responses was from a Calchas...)
I make no apologies for getting around
Old May 3, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Zoltar
I am trying something similar, but gave this a shot. The BR flights do not show up out of JFK.
It looks like there's a combinability issue if you restrict the inbound half in that way, plus ITA may have given up before getting to the BR combinations.

You should get results if you try something like this:-
NYC
br31 br+
MNL

MNL
WAS
Or this:-
NYC
br31 br+
MNL

MNL
/alliance star-alliance
WAS
Old May 3, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It looks like there's a combinability issue if you restrict the inbound half in that way, plus ITA may have given up before getting to the BR combinations.

You should get results if you try something like this:-
NYC
br31 br+
MNL

MNL
WAS
Or this:-
NYC
br31 br+
MNL

MNL
/alliance star-alliance
WAS
I removed all the extraneous details from the routing codes and simply put in the connecting points and saw the BR flights from JFK.

So the outbound looks like

NYC
tpe
MNL

And the return looks like

MNL
icn,nrt,hkg
WAS

It won't restrict to specific airlines so you have to ignore the CI, JL, etc flights
Old May 23, 2017, 5:42 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
I've been looking for availability for LIS-LHR r/t flights, but the prices shown are not bookable anywhere - be it with TP's nonstops, be it with LH, LX, AF, KL, or A3. For the dates of 14-17 Aug, eg, prices start at €117 for TP, whereas the cheapest bookable option is €284. Any tips? Thanks!
Old May 23, 2017, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by tff
I've been looking for availability for LIS-LHR r/t flights, but the prices shown are not bookable anywhere - be it with TP's nonstops, be it with LH, LX, AF, KL, or A3. For the dates of 14-17 Aug, eg, prices start at €117 for TP, whereas the cheapest bookable option is €284. Any tips? Thanks!
have you tried https://bookwithmatrix.com/

? It's what I usually use if google flights doesn't work out with what I can find on ITA. you just ctrl-a, ctrl-v the flight you want and it tries to build it on flightnetwork/priceline etc.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:56 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
have you tried https://bookwithmatrix.com/

? It's what I usually use if google flights doesn't work out with what I can find on ITA. you just ctrl-a, ctrl-v the flight you want and it tries to build it on flightnetwork/priceline etc.
I have indeed – it shows even more expensive prices than in the airlines' websites...
Old May 23, 2017, 8:49 pm

Thumbs up New ITA Matrix feature?

I was checking some flights tonight and did a refresh and was surprised to see what appears to be a new feature; Outbound/Return Extension Codes.

Instead of having to list all codes in a single field, we can now split them up.

For those that are more intimately familiar with ITA, are there any new codes or have they just split the fields?

Kinda nifty, nonetheless
Attached Images    

Last edited by BradnerBoy; May 23, 2017 at 8:52 pm Reason: clarification
Old May 23, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I saw it too - tried one of the extension codes (+CODESHARES) but got an error message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.