ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Google Flights isn't ITA but it works okay. It's limited to 5 cities on origin/dest but I really miss advanced routing codes. They can limit number of cities on the search but some advanced mode would be really nice.
Indeed. The five cities is sufficient for me but unless you are given the opportunity to specify what fare basis you want, ITA usually misses 70% of the results so I cannot imagine what a hash google flights would make
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It's working fine for me - but I am filtering by "Business Class or higher", not specific fare classes as I am more interested in GAP type fares on DL/AA ...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: DL PM, FB PM, Gamer/Trickster.
I wish Flyertalk, or ThePointsGuy, or even (gasp) George Hobica would pick up on this and write about it.

We're basically being forced to use Google Flights, and yegods, is it bad....
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flargley
I wish Flyertalk, or ThePointsGuy, or even (gasp) George Hobica would pick up on this and write about it.

We're basically being forced to use Google Flights, and yegods, is it bad....
TPG: http://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/has-...nding-airfare/
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Ummmmmm where did the "nearby city" option go on Matrix? Gone .

Update- NM false alarm.

Last edited by edbyu; Mar 13, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I hereby declare ITA MATRIX officially DEAD.
Unfortunately true..
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: MUCCI
I still find Matrix useful, even if it is much more glitchy than it was. But I was never a power user, looking to use all of the more sophisticated elements of searching. And I would point out that the cost per mile function is still accessible - I used it about 30 seconds ago. When you get the list of flights after a search, press SHIFT + click on the "Price" button, top left side of the page.

Some weeks ago I found it unusable, but for me there is some improvement.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Did mothership Google ever announce that they were going to let the matrix tool fade away or are they just letting it happen without telling us?

When was the last time anyone from Itasoftware (by Google) posted on Flyertalk (I see a post from ITA Hacker in Nov. 2014) or has been interviewed by one of the travel enthusiast blogs?

Anyone been able to contact anyone on the developer team to discuss our fondness of Matrix and our concerns for its future?

Google Flights is a good product in its own way, but is generally way too restricted for my tastes.

Last edited by GrizShel; Mar 17, 2015 at 3:25 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, FB PM, Gamer/Trickster.
Hello, Matrix Reps?? What is going on?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by flargley
Hello, Matrix Reps?? What is going on?
No kidding. This was once a fantastic product that has now been run into the ground. Very hard not to wonder if it is being done deliberately. It would probably take the most junior of Google's staff to fix the bugs in about an hour
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So a very weird bug today.

Basically, ITA will find a flight if I leave the fare specification empty. But when I try to force the fare (using its own suggestion), it returns no flights found.

Reproduction steps:
1. Search leaving the routing specifier devoid of fare constraints (flights 1 & 2; I am happy with flight 3):

2. Get results, find an acceptable fare code covering the first three sectors is IB IOFR2D

3. Enter the fare specifier to restrict the route a bit further. (I do this because I intend to complicate the route later and the Matrix is struggling already to price this simple itinerary.)

4. Despite the fact I am using the Matrix's own suggestion ... it can no longer price the route.

What is going on? Is this a bug or am I missing something obvious?

Separately, the fare that it did find does not actually appear to permit the route in its the routing table!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:40 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
No kidding. This was once a fantastic product that has now been run into the ground. Very hard not to wonder if it is being done deliberately. It would probably take the most junior of Google's staff to fix the bugs in about an hour
It was expected. Google Maps was nice before they took grasp of making it into a clobbered mess. Google Earth too!

Though I did create myself a nice client for sifting through airfare sites. Still in testing and the legality of which is questionable. When life gives you lemons, back to the seeds and grow a lemon tree.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
What is going on? Is this a bug or am I missing something obvious?
Firstly, thanks for the screen shots. Without them it would be hard to figure this one out.

IOFR2D is a PAR to BUE fare (see detail). You're entering it as if it were a PAR to SCL (Flight 1) and then as if there were a separate one, also called IOFR2D, from SCL to BUE (Flight 2).

For flights 1 and 2, try entering the full specification for the fare you want: /f.IB.PAR+BUE.IOFR2D

Please let us know if that works!

Also, from my notes, don't specify "/ f" by itself, as it’s a post-processing filter; to get more results also specify an alliance (restricts the possible routes as well as carriers), carrier, and/or route/connecting points as well. Or at least try it both ways.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
For flights 1 and 2, try entering the full specification for the fare you want: /f.IB.PAR+BUE.IOFR2D
I tried /f IB.PAR+BUE.IOFR2D as well (with no dot after the f?). No dice.

Curiously it does work (with and without the PAR+BUE) if I untick "Only show flights with available seats"! (I actually managed to do what I wanted which was also to include a stop in RIO on the way back under the second fare at the same price, but only without checking for availability.)

Now I inspected the availability (as seen in LON) across each segment by hand with Expert Flyer and then as married segments: there's availability throughout. I couldn't actually check the ORY-MAD-SCL-EZE as one through married segment check though because of the stopover.

It also doesn't explain why the Matrix only finds the fare if you don't tell it where to look!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(with no dot after the f?).
Correct, sorry for the typo.
I couldn't actually check the ORY-MAD-SCL-EZE as one through married segment check though because of the stopover.
It cannot be married availability because of the stopover (married segments only apply to connections!)
It also doesn't explain why the Matrix only finds the fare if you don't tell it where to look!
I'm pretty sure you've found a bug. Or a use case that's not supported by Matrix (stopover on a specified through fare).

BTW why do you want to specify that particular fare? From a functional standpoint, you can bypass the bug by simply specifying the alliance or a subset of airlines and then picking what works for you best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.