Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
No one can help me here? I am surprised.

Maybe I should simply my questions:
1. Can I assume that all tickets found on ITA are correct and can be ticketed?
2. I am not finding a fare found on ITA on Orbitz. Is there a way to force it/find it that is simple?
Thanks,
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:38 pm

Why ITA find me fares 365 days in advance but Airline says they cannot book it?

I looked for the answer and didn't found it.

Found on ITA a flight i want to do next year end of June, returning in July. ITA gives me the price and everything but when i call JJ they say i only can book 330 days in advance.

Anyone know how to avoid this, or why ITA validates the fares?

TIA
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Don't know why ITA posts it but 330 days is common for booking. The routes don't even show up in the GDS systems until 330.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Funny, had an IST trip leaving January returning end of July, my TA could only hold the return at May 31. Would be interested to know the reason as well!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:37 am

ITA Matrix

Is it just me, or is ITA not showing the best offer? I'm constantly seeing options available on other online booking sites that are better than what I can get on ITA, even if I force connections or flight numbers. Does anyone have any advice here?

Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
I believe this may be posted in the wrong forum. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...rums-work.html

As for the validity of your statement, ymmv. ITA is but one tool in the MRs pocket.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:47 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:18 pm
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:49 am

Oops... sorry about wrong forum - I am such a scatterbrain

For example, I've found fares for much lower on Vayama than ITA, even when entering the exact same flight numbers to force an identical routing.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:51 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:36 am
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:42 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Matrix provides good results, not perfect. Its goal (especially since the Google acquisition) is good results quickly, and it does that very well.

Try adding more filters to help it along. For example, rather than search YYZ-LAS, I think about what airline or routing I'd like or is often cheaper, and I add those instructions: "UA ORD UA" (or whatever). Then I often get different prices because it has less searching to do and get better results in the same time.

YMMV of course.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:24 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I agree with c_9. I think the quality of results has decreased noticeably since the Google acquisition. In particular, I often see results that violate fare rules such as connections > 4 hours. ITA does time out after a certain time, and narrowing your initial query is important to prevent this from happening.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:30 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by Scottrick
I agree with c_9. I think the quality of results has decreased noticeably since the Google acquisition. In particular, I often see results that violate fare rules such as connections > 4 hours. ITA does time out after a certain time, and narrowing your initial query is important to prevent this from happening.
Yes - I got a lot of 25-hour international connections suggested last week. Wouldn't that be nice!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Scottrick
Could it have been processing these under last-in, first-out connection rules (rather than the 4 hour rule)? I've seen that on a few itineraries lately (but the airlines disagree about pricing it this way).
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:42 pm

You didn't write the dates that you want to leave and return. You didn't write where in Japan you have to be.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
I am looking to go for any weeks between Oct 27 and Dec 7, 2012

I was working with the week starting Oct 27 and Nov 3 when I found the routing mentioned above.

I was working with into NRT and out of HND (just for flights times). Truth is I could probably go anywhere in Japan and just work my schedule based on the flights that I found

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.