ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
1-way & routing rules -- how do I find it on ITA?

This is a 1-way flight from KUL-NYC. For a particular MU flight on Jul 15, the routing rules I saw for this flight was:

Code:
 1. KUL-MU-BJS/CGO/CTU/JHG/KMG/NKG/NNG/SIA/TAO/WUH-MU-SHA-MU-
    NYC
 2. KUL-MU-SHA-MU-NYC
I tried to price KUL-BJS-SHA-NYC on ITA, but couldn't quite find it as it returns no results. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, would the price of the flight be the same for both #1 and #2 above?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is a question about a particular search engine I've relocated this thread to the "Travel Tools" forum for further input.

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:31 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Quarantine
I tried to price KUL-BJS-SHA-NYC on ITA, but couldn't quite find it as it returns no results.
MU does not fly between KUL and BJS.

Also, would the price of the flight be the same for both #1 and #2 above?
Yes.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:58 am

Oh interesting! Am I reading the routing rules incorrectly then, as there's a portion that says "KUL-MU-BJS"?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:27 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh interesting! Am I reading the routing rules incorrectly then, as there's a portion that says "KUL-MU-BJS"?
The Routing Rules do permit the BJS routing, but an actual flight is still required.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by KVS
The Routing Rules do permit the BJS routing, but an actual flight is still required.
If I understand this correctly, does that mean even though the routing rules permit the BJS routing, it can be the case that MU doesn't fly there? (My confusion is with the mention of BJS in the routing rules if they don't even fly there in the first place.)
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:59 am

Difference in prices on ITA with identical routes,with difference in layover/stopover

There are two itins I priced out on ITA, and the difference seems to be how I keyed in the routes in ITA.

For NYC - ANC, with the routing code of UA+, I got this:

For NYC - IAH - SFO - ANC / ANC - SFO - IAH - NYC (I wrote this out in the routing code manually), I got:

My questions:
1) From what I understand, the first itin is using 2 different planes (UA1025 & UA1257, we probably don't have to leave the plane at SFO right?), while the second itin is using 3 different planes (UA1025, UA1670, and UA1257).

How do I find my first itin manually without using the UA+ routing code? Is there another way?

2) How does the second itin book into L booking class for the first leg, where else the first itin books into G?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
ITA: Calendar NOT showing lowest fare for Multi-Airport search

Unless I'm mistaken, this is a bug.

If I search From=ORD,FWA,IND; To=MAD for {6/9/2014, 10-12 nights, Economy, RT}, the calendar shows $1427 on June 10. That is for 12 nights. It is higher @ $1482 for 10 nights.

But actually clicking on the link to 10 nights shows a lower fare of $1328. This is also what you see if you search ORD-MAD directly.

I always trusted the calendar, but it seems I should not.

Is this a known issue? Only for multi-airport search?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:04 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

If I understand this correctly, does that mean even though the routing rules permit the BJS routing, it can be the case that MU doesn't fly there?
That is correct.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, QF, BA
Would be because of availability on UA1670.

Possibly you wouldn't have to change planes, but you'd have to check the gate numbers or confirm with UA.
Old May 9, 2014, 5:24 pm

How to book fare found on ITA Matrix?

How do i book and confirm airfares from ita matric? Are there any travel online portals that can match up with ita matric?
Old May 10, 2014, 8:47 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
It depends on the fare and carrier(s).

If it is only one carrier you should be able to price it the same on their website. For more complex fares you may be able to book it over the phone with the marketing carrier, or you may need to use an OTA or regular TA.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Welcome to FlyerTalk! Since your post is specific to ITA Matrix, I've moved it to the Travel Tools forum to gain the attention of those FlyerTalkers who are most knowledgable of the subject. For future reference, you can find this forum in the "Tracel&Dining" forum category (please see the FlyerTalk Forum Index).

Note to readers/mods: This thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk. Please reply accordingly.

Thanks to all who offer assistance, and good luck to the OP.

~Moderator, Information Desk

Old May 10, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
A lot of people have reported luck using Kayak. You can also try calling the airline directly.

If you have a travel agent, you can send them the info and they'll be able to easily book it for you.

If you post the info here we'll see if we can help you recreate it on a bookable website.
Old May 12, 2014, 6:39 pm

How Hipmunk? It's backed by the same engine and accepts many of the same "advanced routing codes" as ITA itself.

Here's an good blog post from sbm12, in which he describes using Hipmunk to replicate an itinerary originally found on ITA.

Again, if you post more detailed info, someone might be able to help you out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.