ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BigE
Is ITA working for other people? I've been getting the "sorry there was a problem handling your request" error 95% of the time for the last week. This is on three different computers at two different hotels (though both Marriotts in Bangkok).

It does work sometimes for simple one-way searches, like SEA-LAX.

Any workarounds? I tried the old matrix1 but that was probably shut down a long time ago.
If only we still had Matrix1...

But it's working fine for me.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I've been experiencing the same problem over the past week or so, figured it was just me. I get it when I do a lot of queries in rapid succession. It's like you have to let the software catch its breath occasionally!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
same issue here from time to time. seems worse with FF than Chrome or IE. try a different browser if that's an option for you.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:58 am

Same problem over here this morning. I use Chrome.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I get the constant failure on Chrome, as well as IE
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Hmm. I wonder why it's working for some people but not for others. And it sounds like there aren't any known solutions.

I've tried 4 different computers and four different browsers in three different hotels. It bombs after about 6 seconds and fails to produce any results, almost every time.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Talking ITA Matrix no longer searches EY?

I can't find any EY flights on ITA anymore even if I force it...
Sounds very strange given airlines don't (or didn't?) have to pay to get included into search results there. Is EY the first victim or it's just a bug?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Back to normal now. I think the issue was with availability of EY in 1P.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
UPDATE: My problems occurred the moment I arrived in Thailand and stopped 11 days later when I left. Because it happened in many different hotels, I'm assuming it's something to do with Thailand, maybe a country-wide firewall of some kind?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: A3*G
Matrix ITA - Displaying fares which are priced wrongly and does not exist?

Hi,

I am fiddling with the Matrix software to get the quotes for my flights from LON-SIN in July, but it seems like the software is listing LH and LX fares which are much cheaper than what is listed on the usual booking sites (airline sites, expedia, hipmunk etc), or fares which just cannot be booked using the sites.

For flights departing on 21 Jul and returning on 30 Sep:

London (LCY) to Singapore (SIN) - Mon, Jul 21
Deutsche Lufthansa AG 935 - Deutsche Lufthansa AG 778
Singapore (SIN) to London (LHR) - Tue, Sep 30
SWISS 4311 - SWISS 318

Ł665 on Matrix, but Ł1800+ on SWISS's site. On the site note, this combination cannot be booked using the other sites either.

Another example:

London (LCY) to Singapore (SIN) - Mon, Jul 21
Deutsche Lufthansa AG 935 - Deutsche Lufthansa AG 778
Deutsche Lufthansa AG 779 - Deutsche Lufthansa AG 900

Ł791.51 on Matrix, but more than Ł800 on LH's site

Another example:

London (LHR) to Singapore (SIN) - Mon, Jul 21
SWISS 327 - SWISS 178
SWISS 179 - SWISS 316

Ł652.95 on Matrix, but more than Ł800 on LX's site

Is this some sort of error? I am thinking of calling LH and LX to try and get these fares, but I won't be too optimistic about the prospects, given the huge differences in the quote prices.... I believe that this may be due to the fare rules and restrictions.

Last edited by jiaklormee; Apr 11, 2014 at 9:31 am Reason: grammar/spelling
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:51 pm

ITA Matrix search question

I've noticed that sometimes when I search the ITA matrix for a fare and then click on the lowest fare on the calendar, it will pull up an itinerary that is priced even lower than what the matrix says the lowest fare is. Usually, it isn't significantly lower, but sometimes it has been several hundred dollars cheaper. I'm not sure what is happening. It makes me wonder how many fares I'm missing out on because it isn't showing immediately on the calendar. Anyone else have this experience? Any idea why this happens? Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:53 pm

ITA Matrix search question

IME orbitz has priced flights lower than what ita report. Idk why, but I'm even happier when it happens
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:47 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the Travel Tools forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:45 pm

ITA matrix searches time out after 60 seconds. So the broader the search is, the lesser acurate the results are. Calendar search is good to get a price range... But then it's better to redo the search with +/- 2 days around your desired travel dates.
Also, if you're looking for specific airlines, try narrowing down your search using advanced routing codes.
You can restrict to a specific alliance for instance (but keep in mind that won't display itineraries with out of alliance partners).
The great power of ITA is its ability of fine tuning searches, and being able to avoid being spammed with 40 h transatlantic itin. with 2 overnight lahovers for $50 less than a direct route. There's a thread somewhere (edit: here) on this board explaining all the advanced routing stuff... You can alsoclick on the 'Help' link at the top right of the ITA Matrix webpage, but most of it remains undocumented.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:47 pm

Thanks, Hyacinthe! much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.