ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Ended up booking on Turkish Airlines website for $861. Weird that the fare ended up showing up officially in the end.
Old May 13, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This can work on UA. Seems to be harder on some other airlines.
Yup - this works a charm on UA for me. I have never tried it on other airlines.

What really ticks me off with UA's site, is that you will find a great roundtrip itinerary on ITA, then go to try to book it on UA and not find it. If you change the depart or return to the day before or after, then select "Show me lower fares +/- 3 days", the low fare you see on ITA for those days will be shown as an option on the matrix!! You go to click it, and BAM, back to the higher fare.
Old May 16, 2013, 4:12 pm

Ok... Other way around.

I see a fare on the official airline website, but not on ITA. In fact, in some circumstances, I cannot see a group of booking classes on ITA. In other circumstances, that group of booking classes shows up on ITA.

I'm guessing that there is no way around that? It doesn't really make sense to me.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Seeing the same issue here. Fares that show up in the app also show up on the airline website, and can be purchased. However, those same fares do not show up on a browser-based ITA search. I've tried making the search parameters extremely specific on the website to see if I can force it to display the deal, but some of the flights comprising the fare in question are not even listed on the ITA website search at all. Lowest fare for the specific airline isn't even close (30-40% higher).

Been noticing this issue for several weeks. Just bought a Delta fare that came up in the app-based search, so I know it's not just a ghost or illegal construct. The fare I bought was nowhere to be found on the ITA website.

This is a huge problem for us, because we are often searching for trips that are more than a month, but less than two, with a lot of date flexibility, which renders the app useless and/or cumbersome (its calendar search parameters are way too restrictive).

If we can't rely on the website to find the lowest fares, the tool rather defeats its own purpose.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:32 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

If you can PM me with details (or post on the support forum), we would be happy to look into the issues you're finding.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: United
Is there a way to search aircraft type by segment? Specifically any routing that includes at least 1 aircraft type as a 787?

For instance, I know United flies a 787 between DEN and IAH, however the flight numbers take a bit to find and they change in time, so if I am doing a calendar search I have to get the new flight numbers.

So if I were planning a trip from DEN-IAH-AUS and return could I search something like:

DEN:: o:ua / aircraft t:787 iah o:ua AUS
OR
One or more legs with one or more being a 787
DEN:: o:ua+ / aircraft t:787+ AUS
Old May 28, 2013, 4:52 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by tmiles1999
Is there a way to search aircraft type by segment? Specifically any routing that includes at least 1 aircraft type as a 787?

For instance, I know United flies a 787 between DEN and IAH, however the flight numbers take a bit to find and they change in time, so if I am doing a calendar search I have to get the new flight numbers.

So if I were planning a trip from DEN-IAH-AUS and return could I search something like:

DEN:: o:ua / aircraft t:787 iah o:ua AUS
OR
One or more legs with one or more being a 787
DEN:: o:ua+ / aircraft t:787+ AUS
Other than using the multi-city search, no there is no way to do this.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
ITA returning more expensive fares

Hi all,
I noticed an abnormality while searching on ITA. For example, here is a routing
10/1 FRA-GRU
10/8 GRU-FRA
10/15 FRA-GRU
10/22 GRU-FRA

I am also using a FD but for obvious reasons, I will not post here.

The base fares from FRA-GRU are $163 roundtrip while GRU-FRA is $1151. ITA is constructing it as follows:
FRA-GRU $81.48
GRU-FRA $575.50
FRA-GRU $575.50
GRU-FRA $81.48

Is there anyway to force ITA to give me the lower base fare and thus making my FD more effective? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:55 am

ITA Matrix FCO-JFK price

I am trying to book FCO-JFK July 7 and on ita matrix , finnair shows up very cheap compared to other prices. Its operated by AA and fare code HPR0IT, booking code H. I called finnair and they cant price it out as shown on ita $1,440)

I see these cheap prices time to time but cant book them. What am I doing wrong?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Give me your credit card number and I can assist!

Seriously, you are being ignored due to the fact that the answer to your question lies at the bottom of the ITA page! Read again!
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
What is your return date? Turkish Air is pricing out under $1K for 5-6 day stay.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by poptarts
What is your return date? Turkish Air is pricing out under $1K for 5-6 day stay.
No return. Oneway
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Give me your credit card number and I can assist!

Seriously, you are being ignored due to the fact that the answer to your question lies at the bottom of the ITA page! Read again!
Im using the ita app. Wat info at bottom page are you speaking of?
I followed the directions on the app where it reads"how to book"
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
No return. Oneway
Why not book round trip and just not use the return/cancel? It costs less than a one way ticket.

Turkish Air July 6th-July 7th $775 per ITA.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by poptarts
Why not book round trip and just not use the return/cancel? It costs less than a one way ticket.

Turkish Air July 6th-July 7th $775 per ITA.
Good idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.