Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by croberts134
When you select business class or higher, ITA Matrix will return results where at least one leg is available in business class.

To eliminate those results and get only itineraries with all legs in business class, just click on the "Advisory" column and unselect the "Preferred class unavailable" option.
Thanks for the quick response.

I can't seem to find the Advisory column? Is it on the search page of ITA? Nevermind found it thanks

Also referring to my opening post, even when selecting biz class or higher most of the flights come back to all economy :/

Y up fares don't exist outside of North America correct?

Last edited by AirCanada881; Mar 10, 2013 at 1:50 am
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Thanks for the assistance angatol. I'll look into that.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:35 am

But i wanted to do a bit of fuel dumping... How can i on skyscanner?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:06 am

Another situation where basic search is unable to find significantly cheaper options for a simple return flight.

LHR
CVG
March 28th -> April 12th
Cheapest option returned: £925
LHR -> ZRH -> ORD -> CVG (split between Swiss Air and United) 19h 19m
CVG -> EWR -> LHR (United)

Modifying search to be
LHR :: X X
CVG
March 28th -> April 12th
Same Results

Modifying search to be
LHR :: CDG X
CVG
March 28th -> April 12th
Cheapest option returned: £796
LHR -> CDG -> JFK -> CVG (American) - 28h 50m
CVG -> ORD -> LHR (American)

Granting that the above 28h 50m flight is too long to be feasible, I scroll down and the 4th results is:

£805
LHR -> CDG -> ORD -> CVG (BA - American - American) - 15h 25m

So now I have a cheaper and shorter flight than the original search result,

Modifying search to be
LHR :: BA AA+
CVG
March 28th -> April 12th
Cheapest Result is: £584

LHR -> CDG -> ORD -> CVG (BA - American - American) - 26h 45m

I'd likely be unwilling to book this because of the time, but we're now to a price that is £341 (35%) cheaper.

Regardless the 2nd search is both a cheaper and shorter price than the first, so I don't understand why it would not be shown.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:58 am

Try "/aircraft t:"

i.e. DXB-BKK on EK A380-800

DXB :: EK /aircraft t:388
BKK
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:51 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:55 pm
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:36 am

ITA forum...

https://productforums.google.com/d/m...Y/6dysCubUMcYJ
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:39 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Great fares found using ITA, can't find a TA

I have reviewed the links provided in the help function on the site (give Kayak, Cheaptickets, airline sites) but none of these can replicate the desired fares. I have contaced an agent listed under the one of the links as well but they use Apollo. Can anyone share their travel agent's contact info who can help me obtain these great fares?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:50 am

Have you tried http://www.orbitz.com/ ? In most of the cases orbitz shows the same connections and fares as the ITA.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Fare on ITA but not official airline website

I see a cheap fare on Turkish Airlines on ITA software and Orbitz but not the Turkish Airlines website, for the exact day. Should I just book through a third party site, or is the fare no longer available if it's not on the official web site?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Originally Posted by slickvik
I see a cheap fare on Turkish Airlines on ITA software and Orbitz but not the Turkish Airlines website, for the exact day. Should I just book through a third party site, or is the fare no longer available if it's not on the official web site?

I see that quite often on fares from United. On ITA, they have a lower class available than what United offers online.

I would suggest going through the TP site and get the ticket. They are still going to be good.

Check out the fare basis, just to be sure...you might want to check, how many miles you are going to get based on the fare basis.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
If it was me ... I would try and book it on Orbitz.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by dd1612
If it was me ... I would try and book it on Orbitz.
When you actually click book fare on Orbitz it shows the actual higher price from Turkish Airlines, pretty big difference too, from $860 to $1076. Both are still cheap for India but $860 is very enticing in comparison.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by slickvik
When you actually click book fare on Orbitz it shows the actual higher price from Turkish Airlines, pretty big difference too, from $860 to $1076. Both are still cheap for India but $860 is very enticing in comparison.
I had the exact same problem with TK last week. ITA showed a fare for £198 but the cheapest fare on the TK website was £250. I tried over 20 online travel agents, but they all showed the £250 fare like on the TK site. I gave up in the end and just bought for £250.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.