Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jun 8, 2023, 11:06 am

Question

Seeing some weird pricing discrepancies on the matrix lately... (Meanwhile, Google Flights shows the correct price.)
Attached Images    
Old Jun 8, 2023, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
AA is no longer publishing most discount fares to the GDS. See also Corporate travel is about to get harder: lower fares to be removed from legacy GDS

Google Flights and some other aggregators have NDC capabilities, but Matrix does not, and knowing Google, it never will.

The same problem exists for UA, but for much smaller dollar amounts.
JohnAx and Pocatello like this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 1:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by grepdashv
Seeing some weird pricing discrepancies on the matrix lately... (Meanwhile, Google Flights shows the correct price.)
Originally Posted by findark
AA is no longer publishing most discount fares to the GDS. See also Corporate travel is about to get harder: lower fares to be removed from legacy GDS

Google Flights and some other aggregators have NDC capabilities, but Matrix does not, and knowing Google, it never will.

Thanks. I've been seeing the same thing recently with AA. Matrix wildly more expensive than looking on AA.com. It's helpful to have an explanation.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 2:13 pm

good to know

An almost-exciting bit of information for those of us who've counted on ita matrix as our price-shopping platform.

What is NDC?
golfmad likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
https://cteleport.com/blog/ndc-in-travel

Basically a way for the airline to sell tickets directly, without the GDS.
I always think of it as a direct API from the airline.
golfmad likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 3:21 pm

How to use NDC?

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory

Is there a practical way for a retail customer to use NDC for price comparisons like we've used ITA/matrix?
Old Jun 9, 2023, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Normal aggregators like Google Flights seem to support NDC, so it's not like WN where you can't see anything.

I don't know of any tool with the search power of Matrix though.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:35 am

I don't know how to use Google Flights

Normal aggregators like Google Flights seem to support NDC, so it's not like WN where you can't see anything.

I don't know of any tool with the search power of Matrix though.
I'd looked at Google Flights when they were new (and ITA Matrix was robust) and decided there was nothing there for me. Today I looked again, and learned that WAW-LAX-WAW in biz would cost me $5500 or so. But wait - I realize as I write this that perhaps that was the total for 2 pax - ITA does show lots of $2700 choices. I thought I'd post anyway, jic the community wants to offer guidance to and old newbie.

FWIW I find a little useful information at skyscanner.com, especially the feature that lets you choose 'anywhere' for an endpoint.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 10:51 am

I can confirm that, UA+AA is pushing the lower fares to NDC only same with the upsells. I saw many U.S. domestic trips where a fully refundable ticket upsell is only 50$ for AA and UA NDC, but not available on GDS.
Luckily expedia group has already NDC content, so you're able to book it there.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: BA
ITA matrix not working

Hi, is anyone having issues with ITA matrix V5 website at all?
Mine just spins and spins on the searching, I have tried the old matrix website and that works fine?
any help is appreciated
thank you
Old Jun 24, 2023, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by findark (Post # 2406)

Originally Posted by JohnAx (Post # 2408)
An almost-exciting bit of information for those of us who've counted on ita matrix as our price-shopping platform.

What is NDC?
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory (Post # 2409)

GDS = Global Distribution System
NDC = New Distribution Capability
API = application programming interface
cheltzel and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:13 pm

Any news -- even rumor -- on whether ITA Matrix will be updated to include NDC data? I certainly hope so, as there is no viable alternative. Although Google Flights has NDC data, its search options pale in comparison, particularly when trying to use specific/complex routings.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any news -- even rumor -- on whether ITA Matrix will be updated to include NDC data? I certainly hope so, as there is no viable alternative. Although Google Flights has NDC data, its search options pale in comparison, particularly when trying to use specific/complex routings.
Google has a long history of letting useful free tools decay until they destroy them. I would be shocked if they updated Matrix to include NDC, since Google Flights is where they want you to go.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:09 pm

Google has a long history of letting useful free tools decay until they destroy them. I would be shocked if they updated Matrix to include NDC, since Google Flights is where they want you to go.
Well, it isn't Google per se that maintains ITA Matrix; rather, it is a subset of Google employees who do so as an allowed side project. reference: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33719083-post2040.html

Unfortunately, it's been quite a while since https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/ita-hacker.html has posted an update.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:45 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by martinchats
Hi, is anyone having issues with ITA matrix V5 website at all?
Mine just spins and spins on the searching, I have tried the old matrix website and that works fine?
any help is appreciated
thank you
I had issues a few weeks ago where I was picking mixed fare itineraries for outbound and return and it basically discarded the first leg’s fare category and made both legs have the same fare bucket as the second leg. Old matrix had no issues.

wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen a piece of “new, modern, redesigned” software experience regressions against something that was supposedly old and obsolete (and which kept working without issues).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.