Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Mar 4, 2022, 3:09 pm
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I ran into another bug in new matrix today: I was trying to do a multi-city search IST-LAX, LAX-SEA on the same date, and new matrix kept pushing the LAX-SEA search box above the IST-LAX. Had to use old matrix to get the desired behavior.
Ooh, ugh, yeah, I can reproduce this trivially. Thanks for the bug report!
Xyzzy and Spanish like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:40 am

Feature request

ITA Hacker Unfortunately I don't see report bugs button anymore at ITA v5 and hence I am trying my luck here. This isn't something that was present in V3 also, but it's something nice and hopefully can be fixed in V5.
It's basically when I enter multiple airports codes..and one of them is wrong.. ITA won't tell which one's wrong.. In a simple case like one below, it's easy to identify that XYZ is wrong, but I sometimes have many more airport codes..and then it can be very complicated and time consuming to manually verify which code ITA thinks is wrong.

It would be nice, in case ITA could either highlight the wrong code in color or just put in the text below:

Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:46 am

Lightbulb Airports in a given country

Now we all know, that IT no longer supports departures in multiple countries and therefore I think that it's even more important to get the feature of selecting all airports in a given country..in addition to radius search..

Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by andydd
ITA Hacker Unfortunately I don't see report bugs button anymore at ITA v5 and hence I am trying my luck here.
The feedback link is at the bottom of the page now:

It's basically when I enter multiple airports codes..and one of them is wrong.. ITA won't tell which one's wrong..
Thanks, I'll file a bug for that.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:35 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by andydd
Now we all know, that IT no longer supports departures in multiple countries and therefore I think that it's even more important to get the feature of selecting all airports in a given country..in addition to radius search..

ITA Hacker thanks for filing the other bug..but any plans to introduce an option for the above request..i.e. country based search? Also I have never understood the rational about..about allowing multiples countires in the destination..but no in the origin. People have come up with multiple ideas..about difficulties in estimating the taxes..etc.. but then if I return from Sweden.. instead of Demark..still the taxes will be different.. but ITA has no problem with it.

So what's the real reason that ITA stopped allowing multiple origin countries? Would you like to throw some light on the issue. Happy to receive a PM.. just in case
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
ITA glitch or user error?

Not sure what's wrong; would appreciate any informed comment.

If I search one-way JFK-HKG, f bc=d, on 17 July I get several CX flights. If I search HKG-SYD, again in 'D', on 18 July, it gives me one QF flight and two on CX. But if I search JFK-SYD with HKG routing, it only shows the CX connections. And if I try CX QF routing, it says 'no flights found'. Also, if I try multicity JFK-HKG with CX routing and HKG-SYD also with CX routing, then it's fine. But I specify QF routing for the second one, it's 'no flights found'.

There's not a lot of 'D' availability on QF. I'm researching this as part of an RTW and I'd like to have all my ducks in a row before I ring up to make the booking. The CX flight from JFK arrives at 1400 and the QF flight to SYD leaves at 1930 so it shouldn't be too short a connection?

TIA
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I believe HKG currently has strict restrictions on transits? I believe you're not allowed to change airlines, which means you can only fly CX all the way, basically?

It's currently only extended through April, but I still think that has something to do with it:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...formation.html

Probaby the airlines don't want to take the risk of having to rebook people at the moment, so they simply don't offer such tickets.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
I'm sorry, but is there a reason why the feedback regarding the ability to search by timeframe have been ignored since early '22? I believe I've scrolled through the entire thread (to-date), there have been 3 specific callouts on this, with no response - not "we're working on it/under development", "kick rocks/ ain't gonna happen" - crickets only!!

Disappointing...we're adults and savvy travelers - I believe we can handle the explanation.

Thankfully, the old matrix is still available for the present.

Last edited by nycatl; Mar 17, 2022 at 7:36 am
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nycatl
I'm sorry, but is there a reason why the feedback regarding the ability to search by timeframe have been ignored since early '22? I believe I've scrolled through the entire thread (to-date), there have been 3 specific callouts on this, with no response - not "we're working on it/under development", "kick rocks/ ain't gonna happen" - crickets only!!

Disappointing...we're adults and savvy travelers - I believe we can handle the explanation.

Thankfully, the old matrix is still available for the present.
This is a very long thread, so it's easy to miss things, but ITA Hacker responded to my request for this feature in post 2188, where they wrote:

"Yes, this is the top item on our list of missing features from the old Matrix."
Old Mar 17, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Sufficiently humbled and apologies to ITA Hacker...thanks wheremattgoes!

BTW, where do you go??
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:34 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by henry999
Not sure what's wrong; would appreciate any informed comment.

If I search one-way JFK-HKG, f bc=d, on 17 July I get several CX flights. If I search HKG-SYD, again in 'D', on 18 July, it gives me one QF flight and two on CX. But if I search JFK-SYD with HKG routing, it only shows the CX connections. And if I try CX QF routing, it says 'no flights found'. Also, if I try multicity JFK-HKG with CX routing and HKG-SYD also with CX routing, then it's fine. But I specify QF routing for the second one, it's 'no flights found'.

There's not a lot of 'D' availability on QF. I'm researching this as part of an RTW and I'd like to have all my ducks in a row before I ring up to make the booking. The CX flight from JFK arrives at 1400 and the QF flight to SYD leaves at 1930 so it shouldn't be too short a connection?
Note that ITA Matrix finds flights and fares. It could be that there aren't any fares that are valid for JFk-SYD connecting in HKG and using QF flights. If you're researching an RTW booking, that is, an xONEx or xGLOBxx fare, ITA Matrix probably isn't the best tool. I use Expert Flyer for that, since what you want to know are flights and invetory availability, regardless of applicable one-way or round-trip fares; the RTW fares are their own categories.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by hectorb
I have a text file containing a list of multiple destinations which I frequently use. On the old system I could copy and paste this directly into the destination field. On the new system it appears that I need to enter each destination individually and then hit return, which is tedious. Is there a work-around here?

This is at least partially replaced by the nice new feature to search for airports within a given distance of a reference. But this seems not to show all airports which meet the criterion (e.g. I search for "within 2000 miles of INN" and it failed to find both OPO and GOT).
Any update on this? Is this paste issue being tracked as a bug with the new interface?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Does f ~bc=e (removing basic economy fares for delta) not work anymore in the new matrix? It's not showing a syntax error, but won't return any results.

This is what I have in the extension code:
F ~BC=E; alliance skyteam
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Any update on this? Is this paste issue being tracked as a bug with the new interface?
Yes, there's a bug filed to track this issue.

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Does f ~bc=e (removing basic economy fares for delta) not work anymore in the new matrix? It's not showing a syntax error, but won't return any results.
You pasted the correct string -- and it works as expected. Without that extension code Matrix returns solution on multiple airlines, and DL in E, and with that extension code (added to each slice!) I see solutions only on SkyTeam (on DL only, really), and not booked in DL's E booking code (i.e. not in basic economy).
hectorb likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 25, 2022 at 1:18 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: DL, AA
Hi all,
Trying to book a OW flight from MAA to AUS on Aug. 9. Found a cheaper than current trend option and called Air France to book it, but they are saying it's not available. My guess is the problem is in the first leg (MAA-BOM) because it's operated by Vistara, which is not a codeshare, but is an interline, partner. Who can I contact to book this fare, as other fares are coming at least $200 more? Can't post a photo because I don't have enough posts yet.

P.S. Air France Rep thought ITA Matrix was a travel agent, and was like, "well book through them, huh?". If I could book through ITA Matrix, why would I call you, Mr. Rep?

Last edited by lookatthenameyo; Mar 31, 2022 at 12:13 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.