ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
We're getting ready to switch matrix.itasoftware.com to display the new version. We will keep the old version running on oldmatrix.itasoftware.com for at least some while.
Does the old extensions still work with oldmatrix.itasoftware.com ? If so do we need to reinstall them or they will just work fine (Sorry I am non tech in this matter)
Old Jan 22, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Does the old extensions still work with oldmatrix.itasoftware.com ? If so do we need to reinstall them or they will just work fine (Sorry I am non tech in this matter)
By "extensions" do you mean the Matrix Powertools? If so, you may want to ask in the thread for that: ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK. If you mean something else, it might help to clarify your question.
rajhyd99 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
By "extensions" do you mean the Matrix Powertools? If so, you may want to ask in the thread for that: ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK. If you mean something else, it might help to clarify your question.
If so, I just pushed the update to support the oldmatrix.itasoftware.com domain: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33936242-post951.html

Still no movement on the newmatrix though
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
One thing that would be nice is, when selecting the dates on a multi city trip, to have the calendar on flight 2 already be set at a later date than flight 1. But (and that was a pet peeve with the old matrix) it would be good if flight 1 didn't become flight 2 if you change the dates. An error message would be better than reordering flights. If that makes sense!
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
No, please keep the reordering… It’s so annoying that Google Flights doesn’t support that and you have to re-enter all information…
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The time bars view in the new Matrix doesn't show me the day of the week (Monday, Tuesday, et c), only the day-of-month and month (3 Nov, 4 Nov, et c).

It's much more useful to know the day, since I often plan my travels around weekends, not specific offsets from the beginning of the month.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Two requests, please, on the new Matrix:
  1. When typing in the date, the old Matrix automatically inserts the year. For example, typing "2/15" is automatically translated into 2/15/2022, and "1/1" is automatically translated into 1/1/2023. However, the new Matrix turns "2/15" into 2/15/2001, which is not very helpful.
  2. When you select complete trips, individual flights, or time bars in the old Matrix, it's sticky. The new Matrix, however, always reverts to complete trips, even when going back one step from a priced trip to flights. Please could the stickiness return?
Xyzzy and wheremattgoes like this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Not sure if I am doing something wrong but in advance routing code only 2 airport code (connecting airport) is working for me. I can't give more then two. For Example DFW-SFO connection in MIA JFK LAX doesn't work but works for DFW-SFO connection in MIA LAX. I remember we can give upto 4 airport code in routing field. Did something change and now only 2 airport code work and we need to multiple segment tab ? And also I am assuming if we space (MIA LAX) it will check for all connection in all airport code versus comma (MAX,LAX) if will only check for any of the airport.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Have you tried using the multi-city tool and breaking it up in 2? DFW-MIA-JFK, and then JFK-LAX-SFO? The Matrix sometimes stumbles when there are too many segments.

Also, there are rules you need to look into:
  • maximum permitted mileage;
  • maximum number of flights on a fare;
  • limitations on how many times you can cross the continent. If DFW is considered "West", you won't be able to find a single fare where you go West-East-West out and then same again on the way back. What you could do is construct 2 nested trips, but that's beyond the scope of your question and this thread.
rajhyd99 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
Have you tried using the multi-city tool and breaking it up in 2? DFW-MIA-JFK, and then JFK-LAX-SFO? The Matrix sometimes stumbles when there are too many segments.

Also, there are rules you need to look into:
  • maximum permitted mileage;
  • maximum number of flights on a fare;
  • limitations on how many times you can cross the continent. If DFW is considered "West", you won't be able to find a single fare where you go West-East-West out and then same again on the way back. What you could do is construct 2 nested trips, but that's beyond the scope of your question and this thread.
ok thanks for the information will check and play around multi city tab.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:08 pm

Any chance we could change the results page so it looks similar like the old one in regards to the fare subtext (yellow marked), its easier for the eye

--> grey instead of dark font & indented

same color, not intended

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
In general there are thousands (and sometimes millions) of valid prices for any given itinerary. Our intent is to return the lowest one. If the system is returning anything other than the lowest then we're not choosing it based on any particular principle. The second lowest is usually not very interesting, as it's usually just a few dollars higher and doesn't provide any additional benefits (e.g. by being in a different fare family or even booking class).
What happened to NK (Spirit)????
Old Feb 1, 2022, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New system is awful, fiddly, more dumbing down. Babushka's don't use ITA Matrix
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by laptoptravel
Has anyone figured out how to set times of day departures (or arrivals) with the NEW ITA Matrix site? .

This...
wheremattgoes likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:44 pm

Before for old site https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ I used to have extension called "Might Matrix" to Save and name the Query. How to make to work for new site address "https://oldmatrix.itasoftware.com" ? For some reason I am not able to add the site address in Extensions details. Do we need to have admin permission on my laptop ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.