Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 7, 21, 2:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 7, 21, 7:42 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
I must have been confused by someone else referring to HHN (which as an airline code = HR).
HHN is the IATA code for the Frankfurt/Hahn airport. I saw it listed as the "hub" for HR.

HHN - Hahn [Frankfurt-Hahn], RP, DE - Airport - Great Circle Mapper
Old Dec 8, 21, 12:37 pm

I must have been confused by someone else referring to HHN (which as an airline code = HR).
Safar air JNB-CPT that's displayed on ITA is H1..even though they refer to it as (Hahn air system):

Johannesburg (JNB) to Cape Town (CPT) on Mon, Dec 27
Hahn Air Systems 6757 (operated by Flysafair)

If you see the FR, then you relalize that it's H1
Fare 1: Carrier H1 KOWFA JNB to CPT (rules)

HR & H1 are both owned by Hahn air. HR doesn't operate any flight at all..only works as plating carrier.
Old Dec 15, 21, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
What was the syntax to exclude a fare code?

i.e., I've tried
* F bc=~e
* F bc=-e
* F ~bc=e
* F -bc=e

but none of them work, I'm trying to avoid basic economy
Old Dec 15, 21, 3:10 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
The third one:
F ~bc=e

should work. If you're using the current production version you want to use semicolons between clauses, but in the newer beta version that we've been discussing here you should use ampersands instead iirc
Old Dec 16, 21, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by tomasdev View Post
What was the syntax to exclude a fare code?

i.e., I've tried
* F bc=~e
* F bc=-e
* F ~bc=e
* F -bc=e

but none of them work, I'm trying to avoid basic economy
But E class is not BE with all airlines. Many airlines, incl. KL/AF/DL/LH Group/UA/... use the same fare classes for eco classic, light, flex and use fare families instead. As of right now, there is no way of excl. certain fare families / BE fares on ITA afaik
Old Dec 16, 21, 10:12 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by fuyao View Post
But E class is not BE with all airlines. Many airlines, incl. KL/AF/DL/LH Group/UA/... use the same fare classes for eco classic, light, flex and use fare families instead. As of right now, there is no way of excl. certain fare families / BE fares on ITA afaik
This is what I'm currently using to avoid BE:

f ~(ua,bc=N|aa,bc=B|dl,bc=E|am,bc=V|as,bc=X)
Xyzzy, tearex, fuyao and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 22, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Sounds like someone has found a bug in ITA Matrix:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33884660-post10316.html
Old Jan 9, 22, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
It's quite hard to decode what that is saying - but if the complaint is that ITA shows the lowest base fare for the route, even though the total payable may be higher than for some other more expensive base fare, then ISTR that's how ITA has always worked.
Old Jan 9, 22, 2:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, that's what I meant. Wasn't aware that it's always been like that.
Old Jan 10, 22, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
I reported the issue and it's abug for sure.

It's quite hard to decode what that is saying - but if the complaint is that ITA shows the lowest base fare for the route, even though the total payable may be higher than for some other more expensive base fare, then ISTR that's how ITA has always worked.
I tend to disagree. ITA may choose to show the lowest BF (first) even though all in is more expensive.. but it should also show the remaining fare classes and not just stop at showing one FBC. The attached image may make it clear:
Old Jan 10, 22, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andydd View Post
I reported the issue and it's abug for sure.

I tend to disagree. ITA may choose to show the lowest BF (first) even though all in is more expensive.. but it should also show the remaining fare classes and not just stop at showing one FBC.

Why is this T class fare now shown automatically by ITA.. even though all in price is lessser. When one asks for T class fare it's shown immediately
ITA may come and explain whether my memory is correct. But if ITA is designed to show you the total price for the lowest base fare, it is not a bug if it does exactly what it is designed to do.

It may be that it would be more convenient if ITA were to be redesigned to show the lowest total price, but IIRC that is not what it is currently designed to do.

One thing that I am confident of is that it is wrong to say that "it should also show the remaining fare classes and not just stop at showing one". ITA has always only shown one price for any one combination of flights. Again, asking ITA to show more than one price for any combination of flights would be to ask for a redesign of ITA.

The answer to your last question (embedded in the image) is that if you restrict the booking class in this way, then ITA will show you the price with the lowest base fare that satisfies the restriction that you have imposed. In your example, it so happens that it is also a lower total price. But this lower total price is not shown because ITA is looking for the lowest total price; ITA is looking for the lowest base fare that satisfies your specified restriction.
fuyao and andydd like this.
Old Jan 10, 22, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And for those who want to see a couple of previous exchanges on this precise topic, try these:
andydd likes this.
Old Jan 10, 22, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Plat)
One thing that I am confident of is that it is wrong to say that "it should also show the remaining fare classes and not just stop at showing one". ITA has always only shown one price for any one combination of flights. Again, asking ITA to show more than one price for any combination of flights would be to ask for a redesign of ITA.
ITA often shows me two or more prices for the exact same flights booked in different revenue booking codes. The lowest total price is earlier in the list, of course, with the more expensive flights further down.
mildfrequence likes this.

Last edited by anabolism; Jan 10, 22 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 10, 22, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
ITA often shows me two or more prices for the exact same flights booked in different revenue booking codes. The lowest total price is earlier in the list, of course, with the more expensive flights further down.
Interesting - this is something that I've never seen in all the years that I've been using ITA, even though it ought to be quickly apparent when re-sorting flights into an order other than price.

Is there any apparent logic in when/why it selects a duplicate itinerary, and which higher fare it also uses to price it?
Old Jan 10, 22, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Plat)
Interesting - this is something that I've never seen in all the years that I've been using ITA, even though it ought to be quickly apparent when re-sorting flights into an order other than price.

Is there any apparent logic in when/why it selects a duplicate itinerary, and which higher fare it also uses to price it?
I've never tried to discern a pattern, I never thought it was unusual. In the most recent case where I recall it, I was searching for very specific routings on AA/BA/AS flights with domestic connections and a specific AA flight to LHR, with an intra-Europe BA flight, and displayed results as "Individual Flights" (although I've also seen it as "Complete Trips"). It showed the exact same flights in 'I' and 'D' and I think maybe also 'J'.

Search this Thread