ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:03 am

Yes the multi city in different countries is greatly missed.
dylanks and mildfrequence like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
Can you elaborate on the origin/destination suggestion issue? I'm not sure how to reproduce that.
Just to add to the OP of this point, clearly going back to 'modify' needs to have all of the fields populated as previously, but trying to enter an airfield code just appears to remember the last typed code, not necessarily specific to that field. So, having searched originally for AGP - SFO, when I go back to put a starting point in the origin field it suggests SFO:

There is also a problem in the routing codes field. If I have already put in, say, JFK and then want to add LHR before JFK, I put the cursor in front of the 'J' but as soon as I type 'L', the cursor jumps to the end of the string - so you end up with LJFKHR.

Otherwise, thanks for the efforts to keep it going and improve it too.
T8191 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Palal
You should be able to use this instead: "f ~bc=P&~bc=R". The boolean logic here is that both of these conditions must be true for you to get a valid response
I just tried it and while it does not return the same error, it returns no results and eventually times out (using the V5 beta site). It does work much better using the current production version though. Thanks.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I just tried it and while it does not return the same error, it returns no results and eventually times out (using the V5 beta site). It does work much better using the current production version though. Thanks.
try: f ~bc=P | bc=R
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:38 am

Yes, please:
1.) bring back multi country origin

2.) could we change the format from:
+cabin 1 --> +cabin first or as in GDS --> kf
+cabin 2 --> +cabin biz or as in GDS --> kc
+cabin 3 --> +cabin eco or as in GDS --> ky
+cabin premium coach --> +cabin premeco or as in GDS --> kw

3.)
could we add searching multi cabin (mixed searchesfor outbound and inbound flights?
i.e.
01DEC HAM-NYC Prem Eco
10DEC NYC-HAM Biz
as of right now this is not possible, even with +cabin since +cabin is a must then on all segments, and when you have a connecting flight, i.e. HAM-FRA-NYC where no Prem Eco is available on HAM-FRA this will not show any results

4.)
higher timeout
ofc lower timeout is required to keep down the costs, a paid version in the price range of AMA Masterpricer / Sabre Bargain Finder Max could be possible

5.)
maybe change the booking class request format?
currently bc=Y | bc=W | bc=...
--->
either as in GDS:
/cy,w,...
or just short
bcy,w,...

6.)
make "add advanced controls" sticky, maybe as a cookie?, so we don't have to click on it every time again for each search

Last edited by fuyao; Dec 2, 2021 at 10:44 am
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
YAY!!
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:36 pm
Company Representative - ITA Software

We turned off multi-country-origin queries because there were subtle errors (taxes and other issues) in QPX's results. Adding a warning that "prices may be incorrect" is not a good solution here. Don't hold your breath for a better one.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
ITA Hacker - it's great to hear that you guys are still working on this in your spare time! Please keep up the great work!

Three requests:
1. I want something closer to a command line tool interface, where I don't want to have to wait for the airport codes or the routing or extension codes to validate before being able to fill the rest of the form. This is a bit annoying from a UX perspective, especially when I'm on a slow connection in some developing country. Maybe this could be an option that would be set as a cookie? From a UX perspective, in this 'advanced mode' I'd fill out the form and have everything validated before the data to the backend to do the search.
2. Any chance you can come up with a shorter URL? Happy to use a URL shortener (e.g. https://tinyurl.com/gmtrx), but you can probably do better there.
3. Time limit to do the search - any chance we can have an option to raise it? You may need to incorporate reCaptcha there to prevent bots from abusing the servers.

Thanks again for doing the update to keep the tool alive so that we can continue using it!
1. The UI is a bit faster now -- but I don't think we're going to have a command-line interface for you.
2. Yes, the intention is to host the new Matrix on matrix.itasoftware.com, replacing the old one. We wanted to make sure we didn't miss any big bugs before removing the old version. You all have found some things -- thanks for the bug reports, be assured that they've all been read and that we've fixed some of the bugs already.
3. This is not changing.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Matrix 5 and Matrix 3 are hitting the same backends, so I would not expect differences like that. FWIW I tried out the same query and am seeing results from Matrix 5.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Even when you switch to the new version, it would be great if you could keep the old version alive at classicmatrix.itasoftware.com or so for a while, in case we find more bugs.
I also assume that the PowerTools don't work with the new version yet, and they are a lifesaver for me.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
There is also a problem in the routing codes field. If I have already put in, say, JFK and then want to add LHR before JFK, I put the cursor in front of the 'J' but as soon as I type 'L', the cursor jumps to the end of the string - so you end up with LJFKHR.
I think this is now fixed -- I can't reproduce this anymore. Give it a try again and let me know if you can still reproduce this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:52 pm

We're not going to change the language for selecting cabins etc. We have over twenty years of history -- this will be disruptive to many users!

Originally Posted by fuyao
make "add advanced controls" sticky, maybe as a cookie?, so we don't have to click on it every time again for each search
That's a good idea, thanks.
alex67500 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Even when you switch to the new version, it would be great if you could keep the old version alive at classicmatrix.itasoftware.com or so for a while, in case we find more bugs.
We cannot keep the old version around indefinitely.

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I also assume that the PowerTools don't work with the new version yet, and they are a lifesaver for me.
We have no control over PowerTools. Can anyone ping the authors and ask them to update the tools?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, that's what I meant. IAkH & Co. will need some time to update the PowerTools. So it would be nice if the old version could still be around in the meantime.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
We turned off multi-country-origin queries because there were subtle errors (taxes and other issues) in QPX's results. Adding a warning that "prices may be incorrect" is not a good solution here. Don't hold your breath for a better one.
Just a thought that might not be practicable, but maybe have a checkbox that says "show without taxes". If a search has multiple countries, check the box (or require it to be manually checked in order to search from multiple countries). Obviously, without knowing anything about your back end I have no idea if this would be feasible, so just a thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.