ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2021, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Below where you enter your origin and destination, click the Advanced Controls link to expose additional fields.

Hover over the question mark icons next to the routing and extension code fields. They’ll show you the codes along with examples.

In your case, you’ll want to use the extension codes, and in the tooltip that pops up, click Faring to find what you’re looking for.
Jaimito Cartero and rajhyd99 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Originally Posted by javabytes
Below where you enter your origin and destination, click the Advanced Controls link to expose additional fields.

Hover over the question mark icons next to the routing and extension code fields. They’ll show you the codes along with examples.

In your case, you’ll want to use the extension codes, and in the tooltip that pops up, click Faring to find what you’re looking for.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Just to confirm I think you are talking about using something like F bc=J|bc=R if you need Fare class J and R.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Just to confirm I think you are talking about using something like F bc=J|bc=R if you need Fare class J and R.
That's exactly it.
rajhyd99 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 4:16 am

Programs: M&M SEN**; FB Silver; IHG Platinum
Matrix search - excluding a stopover in a specific country?

Is there a simple way to force Matrix search engine to exclude from search stopovers in a specific country? I know about ~UA and ~IAH options, however I would need a simple tool to exclude all of USA and/or Canada from search due to their strict entry policy that also affects connections.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:20 pm
Company Representative - ITA Software

Something like ~l:nUS* in the routing field indicates
  • ~ not
  • l: in location
  • n nation
  • US country code US
  • * zero or more times
So that should restrict to trips that do not connect at airports in the US.
NightFly, st1575, Zorak and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:54 am

Programs: M&M SEN**; FB Silver; IHG Platinum
That´s brilliant, thanks a lot ITA Hacker . One more question - is it possible to add also another country code in the above mentioned string? E.g. to simultaneously exclude US AND Canada?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:51 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

I would have expected a comma separating the locations to work (i.e. ~l:nus,l:nca*) , but it doesn't appear to do so. So I guess there's no way to do it. That's arguably a bug but probably not something that will get fixed.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
I would have expected a comma separating the locations to work (i.e. ~l:nus,l:nca*) , but it doesn't appear to do so. So I guess there's no way to do it. That's arguably a bug but probably not something that will get fixed.
This should work for if you didn't use *, for example following the string: advanced code ~l:nPL,nDE,nGB wouldn't show any flights transiting in UK, Poland or Germany, let's say on the route ARN-BKK. I have tested it and it works.. and I think that this functionality has existed for several years now

btw.. ITA Hacker is it decided that no development (investment) is going to made in ITA Matrix in future?

Cheers
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I'm looking for flights on certain carriers from DXB/AUH to FRA/CDG. It should either be a direct flight or it should be on QR (connecting in DOH is much nicer than connecting in Europe).

"O:QR,OS,LX,LH,EK,EY O:QR?" gave me the results I was looking for - but let's assume that an airline had several hubs - would it be possible to specify that you either want to connect in a specific airport (or country) or not at all (only direct flights), while also specifying a list of carriers?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I am seeing issues with the calendar search using ITA Matrix. It does not return accurate results (very high fares). No date ranges of fares for each potential departure date. Only results for the maximum value in the day range. When you select a departure date, accurate fares are returned.

Is anyone else seeing this? I have been able to reproduce this behavior on different laptops (1 WIndows and 1 Linux) and using different browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Chromium).

Update:

Strike Firefox off the browser list. I thought I had used it but on retesting, it works with Firefox. Also works on MS Edge under WIndows 10. So maybe something to do with the underlying Chrome engine.

Last edited by cheltzel; Apr 28, 2021 at 9:14 am Reason: change symptoms
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I am seeing issues with the calendar search using ITA Matrix. It does not return accurate results (very high fares). No date ranges of fares for each potential departure date. Only results for the maximum value in the day range. When you select a departure date, accurate fares are returned.

Is anyone else seeing this? I have been able to reproduce this behavior on different laptops (1 WIndows and 1 Linux) and using different browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Chromium).

Update:

Strike Firefox off the browser list. I thought I had used it but on retesting, it works with Firefox. Also works on MS Edge under WIndows 10. So maybe something to do with the underlying Chrome engine.
I see this as well. I cannot imagine how this could possibly be browser related as it's the server that sends the content of the page — it's not like the browser is getting the full list of flights on the calendar page and picking the "lowest" price on its own. Really frustrating — I've had some luck using Google flights in the meantime, but nothing beats the power and specification language of Matrix.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Can't get "o:" or specific flight to work

I'm having trouble searching for specific routings. It seems that any time I use "o:" it errors with:

E.g., with routing code using "o:aa" as in this example, it errors:

The routing code is truncated in the screen shot; the full routing code is "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax o:aa aa,ba". Same error if I try "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax o:aa lhr aa,ba" (with "o:aa lhr").

If I take out "o:" it works. E.g., with routing code "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa lhr aa,ba" or "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa aa,ba" it works (with and without specifying LHR as the connection point of the AA flight.

Am I using "o:" incorrectly?

It also errors if I try to specify a specific flight, e.g., "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa134 aa,ba" or ""as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax f:aa134 aa,ba" or "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa134 lhr aa,ba".
Old Aug 17, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold / Accor Gold
For some reason, AA flights are messed up. The "O" is correct and working. I took a test on a route I know well and the results are ok.
The funny part is, if you try to find LAX LHR for AA, you have AA137.
This is weird.

Old Aug 18, 2021, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by pmichelazzo
For some reason, AA flights are messed up. The "O" is correct and working. I took a test on a route I know well and the results are ok.
The funny part is, if you try to find LAX LHR for AA, you have AA137.
This is weird.

Thanks. I wonder if the problem is that the routing query became too complex and Matrix timed out? I was told ages ago by a Google employee that Matrix times out after a short period, to limit the resources it uses (only when queried from outside Google).

EDITED TO ADD: It also works if I use multi-city (but then I can't use the calendar search).
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: Air France Platinium - TK Elite - BA Gold
Question

Good afternoon,I'm tryingto find a ticket with IB with fare class Y or B only in economy
So I put in my extensions this:
AIRLINES IB / F bc=y|bc=b
and that answers me: SLICE-PERMITTED-CARRIERS: "F" is not a carrier
As if he didn't understand my / as a separator.

I have done something wrong ?

Thank you so much !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.