Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by andydd
IMHO, ITA is an unparalleled monopoly and basically no other tool on the planet offers the advanved functionality offered by ITA.

ITA was a top notch product, until Google bought it and then treated it as a second cousin. Of course Google's main interest is in QPX and commercial customers.

Why does Google offers it for free for general public?
For the same reasons that ITA (before it was bought by Google)was offering for free to general public. I am guessing that they test features, performance loads on the system and also monitor what system can deliver or not. May be eventually introduce more features to its commercial product.

In any case, I am thankful for such a powerful and free service, with unparalleled fucntionality. I hope Google continues to operate it and may be even enhance the features in it. Nothing wrong to wish for more 😊
I agree with most of what you've said. Unfortunately, I fear for the future of ITA because Google's track record with tools people value, but don't pay for, is... well... not great.

Regards
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by scubadu
I agree with most of what you've said. Unfortunately, I fear for the future of ITA because Google's track record with tools people value, but don't pay for, is... well... not great.
I'm as much of a cynic as anyone else about big tech companies. But in this instance, I think one risks falling into a similar trap in thinking along these lines. Google isn't providing a service to us, the people who value the use of the tool for free. Google is selling a product to customers who (I imagine) pay squillions for it. So long as the customers continue to pay large amounts of money for the product, and we are prepared to continue to donate our time to Google to help Google to improve the product, Google has an incentive to keep allowing us access to it in the way that we have become used to.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Does anyone have a decent tutorial for it. (Will pay $$$ for it) I have watched all the youtube videos and scoured the web and gleaned all I could.
Or knows if the map feature still works and I just am do dense to find it.

any help would be greatly appreciated it. And am willing to pay for a tutor.

thanks 🙏
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
What do you mean?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
What do you mean?
I mean I know I am only scratching the surface when it comes to using ITA. Ive watched all the YouTube videos and read as many blogs as I can find but could really use some schooling on the site. And I dont expect someones knowledge for free.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
ITA Matrix isn’t some magic tool that will miraculously give you cheaper flights.
It’s just a search engine that has more options than others.
You can define things “I want to fly from Boston to Malta via Newark on a combination of United and Lufthansa, and I don’t want the connection time to be longer than 3 hours”..
Or you can say “I want to fly somewhere on Iberia from Madrid, but it has to be on an A330 or A340”.
Give us some examples and I’m sure someone can explain to you how to search for it.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I would also make sure to visit the following thread on the ITA Matrix Powertools

ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK

It has grown from a Chrome/Firefox/etc user script to a full fledged browser extension. It will take your ITA itinerary straight through to a number of airline booking site and many OTAs. Basically any site that support deep linking with full trip details (dates, flights, number of passengers, travel class).
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
ITA Matrix isnt some magic tool that will miraculously give you cheaper flights.
Its just a search engine that has more options than others.
You can define things I want to fly from Boston to Malta via Newark on a combination of United and Lufthansa, and I dont want the connection time to be longer than 3 hours..
Or you can say I want to fly somewhere on Iberia from Madrid, but it has to be on an A330 or A340.
Give us some examples and Im sure someone can explain to you how to search for it.
I know there used to be a Map option for nearby airports but that might have went goodbye now that you cant search multiple countries. I know it will time out so Im trying to be precise.
I was looking for a detailed list of the advanced controls etc.

for starters I am trying to route from mia/fll to PRG on one world and am trying ~ AA so I dont get a AA ticket. And it errors out. If I dont put that it allows to to use BA or AY flight numbers. For better EQD earning
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
I know there used to be a Map option for nearby airports but that might have went goodbye now that you cant search multiple countries.
I don't ever recall a map. But there was and still is a "Nearby" link that you can click to get a list of airports within a radius that you specify of the airport that you've already entered.
Originally Posted by SJWarrior
for starters I am trying to route from mia/fll to PRG on one world and am trying ~ AA so I dont get a AA ticket. And it errors out. If I dont put that it allows to to use BA or AY flight numbers. For better EQD earning
There are no non-stop oneworld flights from MIA or FLL to PRG. So you need:-

mia,fll::~aa+ /alliance oneworld
prg::~aa+ /alliance oneworld
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:06 am

Slightly off-topic, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway:
Does anyone happen to know how the Delta online rebooking works? I would like to change a flight and I can find availability in the required booking class on ITA Matrix - but not on the Delta website/app.
Any idea if it's somehow possible to feed it the exact flight numbers?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:05 pm

Hello all - I'm having trouble getting the following itinerary to ticket from ITA via either American, BA or Iberia. I keep getting error messages via both BookWithMatrix and Powertools. Can anyone help out? Thanks!

Last edited by AI93; Mar 27, 2020 at 1:06 pm Reason: image
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Your first flight has a fare code of B. That is a Basic Economy fare which is not combinable with other fares on the same ticket. Basic Economy fares have an underlying fare code for inventory referencing, so Matrix may not be aware that it's not combinable. Looks like it's impossible to split it up and still get it to price the same way.

You may be able to plate this on an OTA, although you're unlikely to be successful.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Code for Widebody Flight Search on ITA Software

Do we have any Code we can use in Routing code field or Extension code field in ITA Software to get only Widebody flights. For Example DFW-LAX search has both Widebody and regular flights. If we want only search for Widebody flights?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Do we have any Code we can use in Routing code field or Extension code field in ITA Software to get only Widebody flights. For Example DFW-LAX search has both Widebody and regular flights. If we want only search for Widebody flights?
Use something like:

aircraft t:777

in the extended codes field. Note that the restriction will apply to all flights in that leg of your search, so you may have to break things up by segment if you want a widebody flight in the middle of a longer itinerary. There are other limitations like not being able to distinguish between sub types.

I'd also suggest a Google search for "ITA Matrix aircraft type" to learn more.
rajhyd99 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Question on specific Fare Class search on Matrix software

Hello,

Sorry if this has already answered before please share the link again. How can I search for specific fare class like J Fare Class only flight. And also does the system display the flights for J class and R class when search for Business?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.