ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by Zorak
To exclude BE fares across multiple airlines:
I've modified that one in my own to this one:

f ~(ua,bc=N|aa,bc=B|dl,bc=E|am,bc=V|as,bc=X)
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by veeRob
I've modified that one in my own to this one:

f ~(ua,bc=N|aa,bc=B|dl,bc=E|am,bc=V|as,bc=X)
Right, obv the pattern can be extended to whatever other airlines you want to search for and also know the BE codes for.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:11 am
flv

Hi all,
is there any Ita Matrix developer?

I would highlight a "bug", it seems ita matrix is showing fares based on the cheapest fare basis, but not the cheapest total price.

For example, for the same flight and RBD there could be different fare basis:

1) roundtrip 10 + 10 that want 300 surcharge + taxes = 400
2) roundtrip 30 + 30 that want 200 surcharge + taxes = 340

Ita matrix shows only the first one, so not the cheapest
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:25 pm

For several days when trying to get to https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ on multiple computers/web browsers I've been getting:

Error: Service Unavailable

Am I alone in being cut off? If not what URL are you using to access?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by flv
Hi all,
is there any Ita Matrix developer?

I would highlight a "bug", it seems ita matrix is showing fares based on the cheapest fare basis, but not the cheapest total price.

For example, for the same flight and RBD there could be different fare basis:

1) roundtrip 10 + 10 that want 300 surcharge + taxes = 400
2) roundtrip 30 + 30 that want 200 surcharge + taxes = 340

Ita matrix shows only the first one, so not the cheapest
Apparently, 'twas ever thus: ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:09 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
For several days when trying to get to https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ on multiple computers/web browsers I've been getting:

Error: Service Unavailable

Am I alone in being cut off? If not what URL are you using to access?
Your URL works for me.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Your URL works for me.
How bizarre - maybe Australia has been cut off

Or perhaps ITA has been blocked in Australia to encourage us to holiday in bushfire-ravaged regions!

Thanks for the info

edit: Was getting a 503 Service Unavailable error each time I tried to open ITA while connected to the internet through my hotel's network. Error disappeared when I used my own mobile connection. Don't understand these things but seems to be an issue between the hotel's network and ITA's server

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jan 25, 2020 at 8:26 pm
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:27 am

Does ITA Matrix Have Plan to Introduce Date Grid Similar to Google Flight?

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but someone who has followed the ITA announcements might have an insight into where ITA Matrix is heading. What I would like is the existing ITA Matrix search options for multi-city flights, but after we get the search result I want to be able to pull up a Date Grid, similar to the one in Google Flights. I want to move the departure date around, trying to see where the best pricing is for my complex search criteria.

For example, say I want to go to a destination from LAX through IAD, flying the first leg on a 787. I cannot do that search on Google Flight, but ITA Matrix lets me divide the trip into a multi-city flight, and I can then specify the aircraft type on the first leg of the flight with an advanced option code.

I know ITA Matrix lets me search +- 2 days on either side of the date that I choose, but that is way too limited. The date grid is the better way to discover the best time to make a trip.

I would pay a small fee for a service that would let me do this kind of complex search and then combine it with a date grid to discover the best time to make the flight.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by pone66
Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but someone who has followed the ITA announcements might have an insight into where ITA Matrix is heading. What I would like is the existing ITA Matrix search options for multi-city flights, but after we get the search result I want to be able to pull up a Date Grid, similar to the one in Google Flights. I want to move the departure date around, trying to see where the best pricing is for my complex search criteria.

For example, say I want to go to a destination from LAX through IAD, flying the first leg on a 787. I cannot do that search on Google Flight, but ITA Matrix lets me divide the trip into a multi-city flight, and I can then specify the aircraft type on the first leg of the flight with an advanced option code.

I know ITA Matrix lets me search +- 2 days on either side of the date that I choose, but that is way too limited. The date grid is the better way to discover the best time to make a trip.

I would pay a small fee for a service that would let me do this kind of complex search and then combine it with a date grid to discover the best time to make the flight.
Given the number of extra searches this uses, and given how poorly maintained ITA Matrix is, I doubt this will ever happen. We're luck to have the feature on Google Flights.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know ITA Matrix lets me search +- 2 days on either side of the date that I choose, but that is way too limited.
The more you widen the options, and the bigger the number of possible results, the more likely it is that the search engine will have to give up before properly examining all of the options that match your search requirements. ITA already often struggles through the sheer number of possible results rather than because of any fault on its part.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The more you widen the options, and the bigger the number of possible results, the more likely it is that the search engine will have to give up before properly examining all of the options that match your search requirements. ITA already often struggles through the sheer number of possible results rather than because of any fault on its part.
So create a paid level of function in ITA Matrix, and one of the features that is enabled in that version is +- 30 days when framing the ITA search. It might take a long time to run that search, but that's okay because you will not be doing those kinds of searches too often. And the fact it takes Google's resources on the back end does not matter because you paid for it.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Zorak
To exclude BE fares across multiple airlines:
That's exactly what I was after, thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So create a paid level of function in ITA Matrix ...
I don't think that ITA's in the market for creating paid-for services. AIUI, the purpose of the free interface that we all use and love is not primarily about providing a service to us.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't think that ITA's in the market for creating paid-for services. AIUI, the purpose of the free interface that we all use and love is not primarily about providing a service to us.
So what is the purpose?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what is the purpose?
AIUI, it's a site that ITA uses for continuous testing. We're the guinea pigs that are doing the testing, and ITA watches to see what happens. Because the site is free, ITA owes us nothing and has no liability to us if anything goes wrong when they tweak things or something breaks.

Unless I have massively misunderstood what it's there for, that suggests that ITA is unlikely to get into the business of offering a fee-paid service to the general public. ITA's actual customers are airlines and travel agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.