Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by currentjer
Long time lurking user, but the last two days, itamatrix has only been showing non-stop flights - and only showing connecting when I force a connection. Does anyone know what's going on?
It seems to be working normally for me.

Examples/screenshots might help illuminate the issue.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:03 pm

All my searches are coming back non-stop only.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
I have the same issue... highly annoying! You are not alone it seems.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:12 pm

Anybody figure out the solution to the issue that matrix shows you too few flights? You know there are pages worth, but yet it shows you only 1 page.
No modifications/restrictions set.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
All my searches are coming back non-stop only.
Thanks, I understood your problem description already. When I said examples/screenshots might help, I meant of the search terms you are using @:-)

i.e. usually when something like this happens to me it's because I re-used a previous search and changed the cities to new ones and forgot that I'd restricted the settings or something like that.

Because if I just search HKG to LAX on Feb 12 one-way and leave everything else as the default:

Name:  Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 06.53.08.png
Views: 1763
Size:  164.6 KB

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

But assuming there's nothing quirky in your search parameters, the only other thing that immediately comes to mind is that ITA searches for some period of time and then returns whatever results it has (which is not necessarily every possible available flight/routing) so if the backend engine is really really slow for some reason it might just be that it got as far as finding some nonstops and then gave up.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:15 pm

Significant issues- searching mia-yul-cpt, alliance oneworld, on May 8 one way in business Should be able to find and book mia-yul on AA, and qr via doh yul-cpt. Tried multi city trip, even mia-yul on may 7 then yul-cpt on may 8 in business. Doesn't work.

Seeing other issues when looking for flights to Japan as well

Not sure if this is one world issue on ita or if it is a multi city issue
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Thanks, I understood your problem description already. When I said examples/screenshots might help, I meant of the search terms you are using @:-)

i.e. usually when something like this happens to me it's because I re-used a previous search and changed the cities to new ones and forgot that I'd restricted the settings or something like that.

Because if I just search HKG to LAX on Feb 12 one-way and leave everything else as the default:

Attachment 51528

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

But assuming there's nothing quirky in your search parameters, the only other thing that immediately comes to mind is that ITA searches for some period of time and then returns whatever results it has (which is not necessarily every possible available flight/routing) so if the backend engine is really really slow for some reason it might just be that it got as far as finding some nonstops and then gave up.
Sorry, brain fart in the morning. Seems to be a widespread problem as other posters have also noted. Nothing quirky in search terms.

Also, I note that Firefox seem to be giving some connection options, but it's obvious to me that the output has been severely truncated.

Last edited by currentjer; Jan 9, 2020 at 9:58 pm Reason: More info
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:14 pm

Sorry, brain fart in the morning. Seems to be a widespread problem as other posters have also noted. Nothing quirky in search terms.

Also, I note that Firefox seem to be giving some connection options, but it's obvious to me that the output has been severely truncated.
In hindsight I should have phrased it more clearly too so my apologies for that.

My search was with Chrome FWIW.

I'm also now getting "Sorry, we encountered an internal error." for a simple search I've been doing fairly regularly over the last week or two to monitor a fare (including at the time of my previous post), so the "gremlins" explanation certainly seems plausible...
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
In hindsight I should have phrased it more clearly too so my apologies for that.

My search was with Chrome FWIW.

I'm also now getting "Sorry, we encountered an internal error." for a simple search I've been doing fairly regularly over the last week or two to monitor a fare (including at the time of my previous post), so the "gremlins" explanation certainly seems plausible...
No apologies needed - we are here for each other. I hope it's not another devaluation in the vein of our recent loss of the darling multi-city origins.
Romanianflyer likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
No apologies needed - we are here for each other. I hope it's not another devaluation in the vein of our recent loss of the darling multi-city origins.
All results are showing fine again for me after a 2-3 days-long hiatus showing only a few non-stop flights. I guess they managed to solve whatever the problem was?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
All results are showing fine again for me after a 2-3 days-long hiatus showing only a few non-stop flights. I guess they managed to solve whatever the problem was?
ITA had been struggling for all searches for me over the past few days too - but it's now much faster than it was even three hours ago.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:48 pm

Recovered in the afternoon but now it’s gone fritzy again
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I was trying to find flights from AKL-LON for July/August and it continually returned "No Flights Found" even when trying different combinations e.g. LHR,LGW,STN or doing a multi-trip with a stopover in DXB so gave up at that point. It looks to have been a problem that's been fixed (sort of) but still doesn't find anything on occasion so t seems to be a bit flakey at times.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Dumb question: Can someone point me to the string to exclude all BE fares? I just accidentally cleared my search history and lost it as well. I know I stumbled onto it here but can't find the thread back.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Dumb question: Can someone point me to the string to exclude all BE fares? I just accidentally cleared my search history and lost it as well. I know I stumbled onto it here but can't find the thread back.
To exclude BE fares across multiple airlines:

Originally Posted by psbaj
Try this: f ~(ua,bc=N|aa,bc=B|dl,bc=E)
atword likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.