Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 22, 18, 7:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 15, 19, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by fuyao View Post
Post a screenshot of what you're trying to book, much easier then to help

For example, Matrix shows this, but EF shows no P class availability...
Old Jun 16, 19, 4:04 pm

Hi all,
Any way to specify fares including checked baggage only?
Old Jun 17, 19, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by shallowdrift View Post
Hi all,
Any way to specify fares including checked baggage only?
The question is a good one. And one I have wished I have had an answer to - but I donít.

I imagine that it is different for every airline. And that on some (most?) airlines it is driven by fare class. And if it is driven by fare class, ITA can probably crank out the answer. But I am unaware of anyone listing the fares for each airline by the various abilities, like checked baggage.

i wish someone would. Which airline(s) are most important to you? Maybe you can ask your question in those specific airline forums.

Old Jun 17, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I don’t think it’s that easy, unfortunately. For example, SAS sells the same booking classes (e.g. T class) both with and without bags included.
Old Jun 17, 19, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
I donít think itís that easy, unfortunately. For example, SAS sells the same booking classes (e.g. T class) both with and without bags included.
Yes, I found this issue too. I ended up getting rid of the fares I needed to for the route I was looking at by excluding those ending B4 or LGT.
As mentioned on another thread, I don't know of a single search engine that allows you to search including a checked bag on a multi city itinerary which is quite frustrating.
Old Jun 22, 19, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
Is there a way to force the routing to include an overnight (red-eye) flight? There used to be the -overnight (with/without S) command in the past to exclude overnights (I don't think that works now), but I am looking for the opposite.
Old Jun 22, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by kamadzu4 View Post
Is there a way to force the routing to include an overnight (red-eye) flight? There used to be the -overnight (with/without S) command in the past to exclude overnights (I don't think that works now), but I am looking for the opposite.
MINCONNECT/MAXCONECT? You can use the MINCONNECT value to force a minimum connect time. I often use MAXCONNECT for the opposite, to eliminate overnight connections.
Old Jun 22, 19, 2:45 pm

I don't think that would work in this case. I am looking for an eastbound transcon, that goes LAX-XXX-YYY, and I want ITA Matrix to give back results only where that first segment is a red-eye.
Old Jun 22, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
The “preferred times” option doesn’t help?
Old Jun 22, 19, 3:07 pm

Unfortunately not exactly, because some red-eyes leave before midnight (night, after 9pm) and some leave after midnight (early morning, before 8am). Checking both options will also include first flights out in the morning, like 6am. Checking just the night option will leave out red-eyes that leave at like 12:30am.
Old Jun 22, 19, 3:09 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Unfortunately not exactly, because some red-eyes leave before midnight (night, after 9pm) and some leave after midnight (early morning, before 8am). Checking both options will also include first flights out in the morning, like 6am. Checking just the night option will leave out red-eyes that leave at like 12:30am.
Alternatively how about specifying it as "arriving on" the desired arrival date and limiting arrival time to morning. Might need to combine with maxdur.
Old Jun 22, 19, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I don't think that would work in this case. I am looking for an eastbound transcon, that goes LAX-XXX-YYY, and I want ITA Matrix to give back results only where that first segment is a red-eye.
Use MINCONNECT with the multi-city search so you can force it on the segment you want.
Old Jun 26, 19, 9:50 pm

What is up with matrix now?
I looked for China to Japan, and JL has no direct flights from the major cities? Really? I found that hard to believe, and it is totally wrong. Oct 5, PEK to TYO
Old Jun 30, 19, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Where an airline offers more than one fare on a route, can ITA be set to display the lowest total ticket price rather than the ticket price corresponding to the lowest base fare?

An example is this: On 15 August 2019, search for DUR-JNB one-way, BA only, non-stops only.

Seven out of the eight flights return a total ticket price of ZAR 873 (technically ZAR 872.11). These are all booked into O class, using fare basis OLS. This fare basis has a published price of ZAR 70, which shows in ITA as ZAR 130 because of BA's ZAR 60 GDS fee. (The remaining flight books into N class, which is the lowest available booking class on that flight.)

However, if you repeat the search specifying fare basis OLOW, then the search returns three flights only, at a lower total ticket price of ZAR 626 (technically ZAR 625.61).

It looks like the reason for this ITA behaviour is that fare basis OLOW has a published price of ZAR 80 (shown in ITA as ZAR 140). Because this is a higher price than OLS, the first search returns OLS because it is the lower base fare.

Normally, that would be logical. But here the total ticket price using OLOW is lower because the YQ surcharge is lower (ZAR 331.00 for OLOW vs ZAR 589.00 for OLS), and hence the lower total ticket price is returned when the fare basis is manually restricted to OLOW.

Is this by design? Is there an option so that the lowest total ticket price is shown even if the base fare for that is not the lowest base fare? Do ITA's algorithms need amending?
Old Jun 30, 19, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Where an airline offers more than one fare on a route, can ITA be set to display the lowest total ticket price rather than the ticket price corresponding to the lowest base fare?

An example is this: On 15 August 2019, search for DUR-JNB one-way, BA only, non-stops only.

Seven out of the eight flights return a total ticket price of ZAR 873 (technically ZAR 872.11). These are all booked into O class, using fare basis OLS. This fare basis has a published price of ZAR 70, which shows in ITA as ZAR 130 because of BA's ZAR 60 GDS fee. (The remaining flight books into N class, which is the lowest available booking class on that flight.)

However, if you repeat the search specifying fare basis OLOW, then the search returns three flights only, at a lower total ticket price of ZAR 626 (technically ZAR 625.61).

It looks like the reason for this ITA behaviour is that fare basis OLOW has a published price of ZAR 80 (shown in ITA as ZAR 140). Because this is a higher price than OLS, the first search returns OLS because it is the lower base fare.

Normally, that would be logical. But here the total ticket price using OLOW is lower because the YQ surcharge is lower (ZAR 331.00 for OLOW vs ZAR 589.00 for OLS), and hence the lower total ticket price is returned when the fare basis is manually restricted to OLOW.

Is this by design? Is there an option so that the lowest total ticket price is shown even if the base fare for that is not the lowest base fare? Do ITA's algorithms need amending?
Selecting the lowest base fare has been ITA's behavior for as long as I can remember (10+ years)..

I almost got burned on it once, when the LH fare that I booked went down immediately after I had booked it. I looked into it deeper and found that I had booked the last seat in my fare class, and the next fare class higher had a cheaper total fare (due to lower YQ), 25% more miles, and a cheaper change/cancellation penalty. I tried to upfare, but LH couldn't figure out how to process the refund. Ended up cancelling my original ticket within 24 hours and booking a fresh one.

I think selecting the lowest base fare is also common on many airline websites and OTAs as well. A simplifying assumption that made sense before YQ but creates incorrect results today..

Search this Thread