ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lussac
I have been looking at fares with ITA Matrix to the Far East and NZ for next year and have found the best prices and itineraries that come up are with Swiss Airlines for the dates that I'm interested in. Now the Numpty question - Is it possible to book these itineraries direct with Swiss Airlines call centre (will they know what I'm talking about by quoting the fare code/booking class for each leg) or do I have to go through one of the online agents?

I did do a search on this thread but there's so much info I couldn't weed out the info I was looking for.

Thanks for any help that I might receive.
ITA is notoriously almost always showing false availability for LX,TK and CA. What you see is a true fare but may not be available on the dates shown on ITA. You should get Expert flyer to find out true availability or just find out the cheapest dates by going to Swiss website directly.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Thanks,

OK, will look into getting EF but suspect it's a bit overkill for a few flights a year.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Just ask here, if it's a few times per year, someone will be able to look availability up for you. You can PM me for example, I have an ExpertFlyer subscription.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:59 pm

I haven't checked the whole thread to see if this is a known issue. Sorry if it's been thrashed out recently.

I'm like 99.9% sure it used to be possible to search on matrix for flights from long lists of airports to long lists. But now it just says "Journeys with origins in multiple countries are not supported." This is crazy frustrating as dealing with cases where you're flexible about airports is one of the main things it handled better than other search engines.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I haven't checked the whole thread to see if this is a known issue. Sorry if it's been thrashed out recently.

I'm like 99.9% sure it used to be possible to search on matrix for flights from long lists of airports to long lists. But now it just says "Journeys with origins in multiple countries are not supported." This is crazy frustrating as dealing with cases where you're flexible about airports is one of the main things it handled better than other search engines.
This is my understanding now also - only a single country can be searched instead of all of Europe, North Africa or wherever. Definitely not as useful as before.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by zkzkz

This is a known issue and was discussed widely on FT when it first occurred.

Around this point in the this thread:

Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:34 pm

ITA Matrix: How can I do an open ended search?

Example: I want to see all routes offered by American out of DFW that are at most 500 miles.

Is this possible with Matrix? I know I can do something like this on Google Flights which uses it in the backend.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
Example: I want to see all routes offered by American out of DFW that are at most 500 miles.

Is this possible with Matrix? I know I can do something like this on Google Flights which uses it in the backend.

Thanks in advance!
Select DFW in both "Departing From" and "Destination".

Select 'Nearby'.

Select "Within 500 Miles" from the pop up.

Deselect DFW in the pop up.

Click in Outside the popup box - the destination box get filled with all ports within 500 miles of DFW.

Select Advanced Controls

Enter AA

Search ...

Note that for a round trip search you may return a price for DFW-AAA and BBB-DFW when AAA and BBB are further apart from each other than they are from DFW.

pvn likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:31 am

Is there a way to search Matrix that if you select premium economy, for segments that don't have that, it returns economy, rather than business. The flight out of my home airport is a simple J/Y configuration and is hellishly expensive, so when it returns J for a GUW->FRA->IAH/DFW/ORD (pick your US city of choice), it ends up costing as much as a full business ticket would cost.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I’m not sure, but I don’t think there’s any other way than splitting it into a multi-stop booking, selecting “cheapest available” and then manually specifying +cabin for each segment where you want PE.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Productivity
Is there a way to search Matrix that if you select premium economy, for segments that don't have that, it returns economy, rather than business. The flight out of my home airport is a simple J/Y configuration and is hellishly expensive, so when it returns J for a GUW->FRA->IAH/DFW/ORD (pick your US city of choice), it ends up costing as much as a full business ticket would cost.
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I’m not sure, but I don’t think there’s any other way than splitting it into a multi-stop booking, selecting “cheapest available” and then manually specifying +cabin for each segment where you want PE.
Yes, that's right. For Premium Economy use code +CABIN premium-coach in the Extension Code field for the sectors you want in that class.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by st1575
A change to address this problem was committed to the script in the GitHub repository, but the version number was not incremented. This prevents the script from automatically updating to the "latest" version.

The easiest way to get the latest version is to delete the script from the GreaseMonkey or TamperMonkey dashboard and re-install it. Some links to how-to docs:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-m...onkey-scripts/
https://www.wikihow.com/Delete-a-Script-in-Tampermonkey
awesome - thanks for this, I’d actually done this using tampermonkey in the meantime - but although the error messages have gone, I’m still having the problem of itineries not (either through Powertools or through pasting into bookwithmatrix manually) resulting in fares found when going through to carriers to purchase

(technically I know that might not be a script problem any more, but as it’s happening across so many different itineries / routes / dates, does anyone know what might be causing this:

I’ve spent a few fun hours switching browsers, toggling the Powertools off in tampermonkey, and used phone + browser (so, no Powertoolsat all) and still get the same problem: I find itineraries in ITAMatrix others have posted, but then going through to book (pasting into bookwithmatrix, or Powertools on and clicking through) always finds that fare not available at the carrier / Priceline

any ideas

?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:34 am

Since we're such a nice community, I went ahead and reproduced the itinerary for you
Yes, it shows on ITA and yes, you are right, cant be purchased on priceline,...

I also replicated it in Amadeus:
AA 300 I 06JUL 6 JFKLAX NOT AVAILABLE AND WAITLIST CLOSED

As well as:
AY1343 I 09JUL 2 HELLHR NOT AVAILABLE AND WAITLIST CLOSED

So the script works, just ITA doesn't always show correct availability.
Since not everyone has access to a GDS you could go ahead and get an expertflyer account, there you can also check if the needed flights are available in the given classes.

Also since you're based in LON and you're doing an airport change to avoid flying back to AMS, make sure you book such itineraries with an OTA and never with the airline directly. Even better to pay by PayPal / Giropay / IDEAL/ ...
AA/AY/BA has sent out quite a few letters to customers asking for fare difference since its clear that it was never intended to fly the last segment but was used to circumvent the higher price back to LON.
If you book directly with the airline, you accept their t&c including allowing fare differences, when booking through an OTA most of the time t&c are not correctly included and therefore invalid.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, DL GM, AS MVP75K
Missing Nonstop Flights

Was looking NYC-MIA for nonstop flights on specific dates in March that were wide open, and ITA was returning displays that clearly didn't include some flights. Eventually I got to it by narrowing to just one airline and taking the availability selector off. As I said - all flights were wide open, so it wasn't a case of mistaken availability. I'm getting this more and more where ITA is missing huge chunks of possible flights - so is this a matter of peak usage? momentary glitches?

I know the old issue of where you have too many options [all cities within 2000 miles etc] it will time out the search - but for simple/narrow searches I don't get it.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beyond
Was looking NYC-MIA for nonstop flights on specific dates in March that were wide open, and ITA was returning displays that clearly didn't include some flights. Eventually I got to it by narrowing to just one airline and taking the availability selector off. As I said - all flights were wide open, so it wasn't a case of mistaken availability. I'm getting this more and more where ITA is missing huge chunks of possible flights - so is this a matter of peak usage? momentary glitches?

I know the old issue of where you have too many options [all cities within 2000 miles etc] it will time out the search - but for simple/narrow searches I don't get it.
Do you mean you were you using "N" to specify exactly one non-stop flight in the routing box and it still missed some obvious ones?—because that's unfortunate, as it is a small number of possibilities.

I agree that the selection of the result population it finds has changed in recent months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.