Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Say I don’t care if I fly from ARN, CPH or OSL to MIA and back (ARN-X-MIA-X-CPH would be fine).
How would using the separate screens help?
Sure, from MIA I can fly to all cities, but I still have to make 3 searches...?
Old May 30, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
For outbound flights, it’s just more work, but for open-jaw flights, it becomes almost impossible.
Say I don’t care if I fly from ARN, CPH or OSL to MIA and back (ARN-X-MIA-X-CPH would be fine).
How would using the separate screens help?
Sure, from MIA I can fly to all cities, but I still have to make 3 searches...?
Is making 3 searches what you described as "almost impossible"?

Old search:-
ARN,CPH,OSL
MIA

New searches:-
ARN
MIA
MIA
ARN,CPH,OSL

CPH
MIA
MIA
ARN,CPH,OSL

OSL
MIA
MIA
ARN,CPH,OSL

Yes, it's a bit more work. But we've had "total disaster", "virtually useless" and "almost impossible", amongst other epithets. I'm almost tempted to suggest that if this really is too much effort for some people, they don't deserve the benefit of the power that this tool still provides.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes, it's a bit more work. But we've had "total disaster", "virtually useless" and "almost impossible", amongst other epithets. I'm almost tempted to suggest that if this really is too much effort for some people, they don't deserve the benefit of the power that this tool still provides.
Moreover, that this FREE tool still provides!
rossmacd likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, it's 3 searches in that example. In that example I could simply use Google Flights as well.
But the real advantage was being able to search many, many more airports at the same time. And that is gone.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL
But the real advantage was being able to search many, many more airports at the same time. And that is gone.
If you weren't breaking your searches up into smaller groups before, then you might not have been getting the best deal in the first place.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by armouredant
If you weren't breaking your searches up into smaller groups before, then you might not have been getting the best deal in the first place.
And checking that you were getting the best deal always required repetitive searching while narrowing down options, to make sure that ITA focused on an ever more limited set of options.

I think we're all agreed that it's a bit more effort now, but it sounds like many of those who are immediately giving up (or being irrationally rude about the change) were wrongly expecting ITA to be a magic bullet that would instantly give you perfect answers no matter how complex the query.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:46 pm

Is ITA can't search LCC? I've tried many times but none. Even for domestic route in my country I can't find LCC, only Garuda.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
ITA can only search carriers who have opted to join the global GDS network for partner/agency pricing and ticketing. LCCs typically do not join the global network as they often do not allow other airline/agency ticketing, since they need to control their cost structure.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA
Is anyone else's searches timing out for very simple requests from certain airports? For example, it happens when I search for a simple round trip from MUC to SYD on QF with ± 2 days on the departure dates, but this same query departing from LHR works fine. Very frustrating.

Also, is there a way to avoid the "internal error?" I currently have to refresh before each new search.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Deleted, looks like you're already trying the suggestion of specifying carriers.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jun 6, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Anybody know of a good way (either using BookWithMatrix or some other trick) to price out an itinerary found on ITA, but as an award? BWM worked great for a paid itinerary that DL.com would not normally price out (nearly 24 hour layover on an international connection), but I’m trying to buy 1 ticket with money and 1 ticket with miles on this itinerary.

Any ideas?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
A new feature needs to be added if they are not going to allow multiple countries. We need the ability to select the radius of nearby airports but be able to specify ONLY in the same country as the initial airport entered.
Its a PITA at the moment sifting through and finding which ones aren't in the same country when you select, say, 300 mile radius.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
A new feature needs to be added if they are not going to allow multiple countries. We need the ability to select the radius of nearby airports but be able to specify ONLY in the same country as the initial airport entered.
Its a PITA at the moment sifting through and finding which ones aren't in the same country when you select, say, 300 mile radius.
That should be the default / only behaviour: nearby airports limits to same country as the base one.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Anybody figured out how to avoid Basic Economy?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Anybody figured out how to avoid Basic Economy?
On which airline? On BA for example ITA gives Plus fare results.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.