ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LacMajeur
You mean, the airport codes?

GVA-CUR round trip, december 2018, 7-14 nights.
No, I mean any other selections or options that you've put in.

GVA-CUR round-trip, from 1 December 2018 for 7-14 nights is visible in your calendar, but that's all that's visible.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:50 am
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:04 pm

Sorry, here is my search. Funnly enough, I get completely different results now.
Maybe it was just some cached data.

Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LacMajeur
Sorry, here is my search.
Wild guess, but possibly setting "no limit" to the number of stops could cause random problems when the search engine times out and tells you what it thinks it's found so far. ITA's always been an exercise in trying to manage in an orderly fashion what is basically unmanageable - a near-infinite number of options returned by some fairly simple search requests. So trying to ask for too much might, in theory, get you some results which don't make apparent sense. Even some fairly simple searches sometimes throw up oddities - for example, picking itineraries flight by flight and finding that the "From" price to the left of a particular option was too high a figure and that that flight can be had as part of a cheaper itinerary.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:13 am

I undestand. Thank you very much for this valuable information !
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I am seeing an error "Unrecognized XML-OUTPUT-FIELDS-XPATH 'PlatingCarrier'" whith airline specific searches.

For example if I do a TK search form ORD, I specify TK6 as the first flight (ORD-IST) and then TK for a second TK flight. I have done this very successfully in the past. I have full screen shots if someone form Google is interested.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:26 pm

I'm getting the same error message. I think the programmers left out something after they made some updates. I supposed they will fix it soon.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
I'm getting the same error message. I think the programmers left out something after they made some updates. I supposed they will fix it soon.
My search started working about an hour after I reported it.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:08 am

I'm hoping someone could help me here. I am looking to book LON or ex-EU to Australia. I am thinking that instead of making the whole trip in J, is there a way to fly thru on the one ticket, but have say LON-XXX in J and then XXX-SYD in Y? then SYD-XXX in Y and XXX-LON in J? I am trying to see if I can save a bit of cash but have the overnight sectors with a flat bed.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PAL62V
I'm hoping someone could help me here. I am looking to book LON or ex-EU to Australia. I am thinking that instead of making the whole trip in J, is there a way to fly thru on the one ticket, but have say LON-XXX in J and then XXX-SYD in Y? then SYD-XXX in Y and XXX-LON in J? I am trying to see if I can save a bit of cash but have the overnight sectors with a flat bed.
Yes this is possible, usually will be priced on a half-round-trip basis for each component. But see Globaliser’s reply.

Set the class to economy/cheapest

On the J-desired sectors, use the advanced routing codes to specify a booking code in business. This will vary by airline but commonly may be J,C,D,I,Z

Last edited by Calchas; Apr 19, 2018 at 8:59 am Reason: Misread question. see subsequent discussion
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes this is possible, usually will be priced on a half-round-trip basis for each component.

Set the class to economy/cheapest

On the J-desired sectors, use the advanced routing codes to specify a booking code in business. This will vary by airline but commonly may be J,C,D,I,Z
Ah - thanks. That makes sense. i wasn't sure what to do with setting the class but it seems the advanced codes override that.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PAL62V
I am looking to book LON or ex-EU to Australia. I am thinking that instead of making the whole trip in J, is there a way to fly thru on the one ticket, but have say LON-XXX in J and then XXX-SYD in Y? then SYD-XXX in Y and XXX-LON in J? I am trying to see if I can save a bit of cash but have the overnight sectors with a flat bed.
In theory, this can easily be searched for, as Calchas says. But you may find that fare combination rules won't allow this. Conceivably, even if combinations are possible it may be that it's cheaper to buy the through-fare in J than to combine two fares end-on-end like this.

For example, I tried the following, switching off the availability checker and leaving the cabin selector on cheapest:-

LHR
BA+
F BC=I
SYD
1 JUN

SYD
WLG
3 JUN

WLG
SYD
10JUN

SYD
BA+
F BC=I
11 JUN

This produced a BA through-fare to WLG. Including F BC=Y for the short-haul sectors told me that there were no results. (If any economy booking class is going to combine with a long-haul J fare, I would guess that something in Y class would.)

Trying it with QF+ instead of BA+ produced similar results, albeit a cheaper through-fare to WLG.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edit: Completely misread the question. Thought it was out in J, back in Y. I agree with Globaliser.

Last edited by Calchas; Apr 19, 2018 at 8:58 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:36 am

Thank you both. I'll look further into it but I suspect you're both correct.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:34 am

Are some AA fares not showing up or is it just me?

Seeing various good fares between East Coast and Europe on the AA site but not on ITA.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyercity
Are some AA fares not showing up or is it just me?

Seeing various good fares between East Coast and Europe on the AA site but not on ITA.
Which fare in particular?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.