Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

[Awardtravelr] Search for *A/ST/OW awards online for free UPDATE: OW not working

[Awardtravelr] Search for *A/ST/OW awards online for free UPDATE: OW not working

Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Try as I might, I can't get it to work. (
Without knowing what steps were taken and what the screen presented,it is difficult to know what "I can't get it to work" means and what might be the problem.

I did notice with IE9 sometimes a message is displayed at the bottom of the page indicating that:
"Internet Explorer blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors"
Clicking "Show Content" sometimes presents the retrieved information.
At other times after inputting the search criteria a search bar is again presented with the 6 fields blank.
Sometimes clicking the browser "refresh" option initiates the search and sometimes it doesn't.
Maybe this is the problem that "Mary2e" is experiencing...

FireFox-11 and Google Chrome-18 function correctly.

Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Try as I might, I can't get it to work.

I use IE7 at work, and well, I can search but I get no results at all.

I tried from home using IE8 and the search works, but I get no results either. I checked online for dates I knew had availability to the destination.

Sounds awesome if I could only get it to work
What are u searching for? We could look into this. We're actively supporting IE too, especially IE8 and 9, so those should work fine on our site.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OnTheAsile
Without knowing what steps were taken and what the screen presented,it is difficult to know what "I can't get it to work" means and what might be the problem.

I did notice with IE9 sometimes a message is displayed at the bottom of the page indicating that:
"Internet Explorer blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors"
Clicking "Show Content" sometimes presents the retrieved information.
At other times after inputting the search criteria a search bar is again presented with the 6 fields blank.
Sometimes clicking the browser "refresh" option initiates the search and sometimes it doesn't.
Maybe this is the problem that "Mary2e" is experiencing...

FireFox-11 and Google Chrome-18 function correctly.

It's really a constant struggle with IE - for one, we test actively with IE ourselves, but that's limited to IE 7-9. Our stats show that we don't get a ton of IE users as well (mostly FF and Chrome) so we don't get much feedback from IE users. Providing us abit more details so we can replicate the problem would be great! Ultimately, the tool is for everyone, so we _want_ to support all major browsers. We push out changes pretty fast (usually within a day) so if there was any compatibility problems, it would usually be gone the next.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I was trying for EWR-CDG initially, and then decided to try something easy that I knew was available - EWR-MCO on UA

The dates I checked were 6/21-25 for 1 seat. Nothing popped up for any class of service, and the website had several flights available.

I just wanted to be a bit more clear with my IE7 issue - I'm using it at work and I can enter the search requirements and press search - but nothing comes up at all - not even the filters on the left hand side. It just continues to say it's searching.

On my home machine using IE8, search works - I get the filter box on the left, but it does not return any flights.

Could any of the results be construed as ads? My company actively blocks anything that remotely looks like an ad, and at home, I've altered my hosts file to block most of them.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

My guess is that your corporate network might be blocking certain ports which we require to be open for the search to work. To provide real-time search results as well as for the app to be more responsive, we use a technology called WebSockets to communicate with your browser. In our experience, we've seen some firewalls block that but most are fine with it. It's a pretty prevalent technology nowadays so it really shouldn't be blocked.

We're currently working on a fall-back version which will work in the event that there is a firewall. I'm using IE9 now and EWR-MCO does show results on a *A search. I suspect it might be a one-off issue or we might have been upgrading our servers at that time. Let us know if it still dosen't work today!

I was trying for EWR-CDG initially, and then decided to try something easy that I knew was available - EWR-MCO on UA

The dates I checked were 6/21-25 for 1 seat. Nothing popped up for any class of service, and the website had several flights available.

I just wanted to be a bit more clear with my IE7 issue - I'm using it at work and I can enter the search requirements and press search - but nothing comes up at all - not even the filters on the left hand side. It just continues to say it's searching.

On my home machine using IE8, search works - I get the filter box on the left, but it does not return any flights.

Could any of the results be construed as ads? My company actively blocks anything that remotely looks like an ad, and at home, I've altered my hosts file to block most of them.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:32 am

Thank you. It is very likely my company is blocking WebSockets. I will try again from home.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Today we're releasing a couple of new features!
  • Integration with Seatguru. Simply click on the "Check Seatguru" button for each flight to head right to the seat plan This is still a work in progress and we're trying to improve the accuracy!
  • Filtering by total Itinerary Duration
  • Brand new paging mechanism!

We also have a whole lot of upcoming features!
  • Additional providers
  • Filter by provider
  • Integration with another travel tool to provide you more infromation! (Soon to be announced!)

Enjoy!

Last edited by jyflyer; Apr 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:15 am

I tried again at home using IE8. The search completed - I received the filter boxes on the left, however, I didn't get any available flights for Star Alliance.

I searched 6/21 for 4 days EWR-MCO. I double checked an there is availability - F outbound and Y return. Would zone alarm effect this?

I guess I may need to install a different browser.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:07 pm

It showed 39 flights on IE9, Google Chrome and Firefox 11
Google Chrome appears to be the fastest.
Here is the search link:
http://beta.awardtravelr.com/search#...12/fwd/5/pax/1

Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:14 am

Has to be IE8. I seem to be the only person who can't get any results

Will download new browser. Thank you for checking.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:54 am

Has to be IE8. I seem to be the only person who can't get any results

Will download new browser. Thank you for checking.
I too have the same problem with ie8.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:08 am

I just downloaded firefox and it works perfectly!!!

Thank you. Great tool!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I just downloaded firefox and it works perfectly!!!
Once I took the Firefox plunge, I never looked back at IE. You may find, as I did, that it's just superior all around to IE.

Glad this is working for you now; I think this tool has tremendous potential.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:23 am

Yes, it could come in very handy, to say the least.

I have to play around with firefox a bit. I had trouble finding my imported bookmarks, but it does seem more clear and faster ^^
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Mary2e - Glad that FF worked for you!

AZ Travels The World - Thanks for your kind worlds

OnTheAisle - Thanks for testing out the various browsers.

Looks like IE8 support is still flaky for some people - we'll expand our testing and get that more stable. We still want to support at least IE8 and IE9..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.