ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Simple question, I'm sure it's been answered somewhere in the last 123 pages of posts!

I just made the elite level in American that allows unlimited free upgrades. In booking flights, I would like to make an estimate of the likelihood of getting upgraded. I fly almost exclusively between PHL and LAS, sometimes with a connection. Some of my flights are red-eyes.

Would EF be a useful tool? What I would expect to do is look at comparable flights and see how the available upgrade space tracks. I think C is the code for upgrade space. If I see that 72 hours before the flight it is C0 and it remains C0 until departure that's one thing; if it's C6 at 72 hours and still C3 at 24 hours, I'd think upgrade chances are good.

The most significant single question I'll be trying to ask is how upgrade chances vary on a nonstop red-eye LAS-PHL compared to an evening LAS-LAX connecting to a LAX-PHL redeye.

If so, what level of EF would I need?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:14 pm

Got it - I was just misreading the message and overcomplicating it - thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:49 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by redtop43
Simple question, I'm sure it's been answered somewhere in the last 123 pages of posts!

I just made the elite level in American that allows unlimited free upgrades. In booking flights, I would like to make an estimate of the likelihood of getting upgraded. I fly almost exclusively between PHL and LAS, sometimes with a connection. Some of my flights are red-eyes.

Would EF be a useful tool? What I would expect to do is look at comparable flights and see how the available upgrade space tracks. I think C is the code for upgrade space. If I see that 72 hours before the flight it is C0 and it remains C0 until departure that's one thing; if it's C6 at 72 hours and still C3 at 24 hours, I'd think upgrade chances are good.

The most significant single question I'll be trying to ask is how upgrade chances vary on a nonstop red-eye LAS-PHL compared to an evening LAS-LAX connecting to a LAX-PHL redeye.

If so, what level of EF would I need?
If you are referring to the 500-mile sticker upgrades, those are booked into X/R classes which AA doesn't share. C/A class are for the eVIP confirmed one-way upgrade certificates which is available on ExpertFlyer.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
If you are referring to the 500-mile sticker upgrades, those are booked into X/R classes which AA doesn't share. C/A class are for the eVIP confirmed one-way upgrade certificates which is available on ExpertFlyer.
Well, they don't require stickers for the top two elite categories, but I think it's the same pool.

What would be the best strategy for what I want to do? I can track flights based on the seat map, but I know that's inexact because there may tickets sold without seat assignments, and also seats blocked without a booking. (More common in Y that F, but very possible for FAM's.) Is that the best I can do?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
POS for alerts

Hi, If I create an flight alert for a booking class from the flight availability page, does it inherit the POS of the previous query, or go to the default POS ie USA?
thanks
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:02 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Hi, If I create an flight alert for a booking class from the flight availability page, does it inherit the POS of the previous query, or go to the default POS ie USA?
thanks
Yes it does. You can also confirm the POS from the View Saved Alerts page.
The exception is if the class code of the alert is an Award/Upgrade class in which case there is no POS.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
AY availability screen

I noticed AY availability returns more accurate is if just specify time and HEL as a connecting city (Y9 B8 H3 K1 M0 style) rather than putting AY as a preferred airline (Y4 B4 H4 K0 M0 style).

Could you please check if you can use another GDS to get AY direct display? Obviously current direct display is not the 'direct' one or comes from a wrong GDS.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:44 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by Keter
I noticed AY availability returns more accurate is if just specify time and HEL as a connecting city (Y9 B8 H3 K1 M0 style) rather than putting AY as a preferred airline (Y4 B4 H4 K0 M0 style).

Could you please check if you can use another GDS to get AY direct display? Obviously current direct display is not the 'direct' one or comes from a wrong GDS.
Yes it is the "direct" one, that's what specifying AY as the airline is doing, specifying a direct connect search. When you do a direct connect search, there is no "wrong GDS" because it bypasses the GDS and talks to the airline host directly, that's what a direct connect search is. It's not uncommon for the direct connect search to be capped at inventory values of 4 instead of 7/9.

We have the option to turn off direct connect searching all together for AY, but we'd need to research if that's a good idea first. Please email us directly with a specific example and why you think the direct connect availability isn't correct. Thanks.
Keter and Calchas like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver

I stand corrected - the direct display only seems to limit the max availability by 4 seats per class, it does not impact the display accuracy though.
In my example this would mean:

generic display (EF know which GDS it is) - Y9 B8 H3 K1 M0
direct display - Y4 B4 H3 K1 M0, ie the accuracy is preserved, just the presentation is less informative.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:50 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

I stand corrected - the direct display only seems to limit the max availability by 4 seats per class, it does not impact the display accuracy though.
In my example this would mean:

generic display (EF know which GDS it is) - Y9 B8 H3 K1 M0
direct display - Y4 B4 H3 K1 M0, ie the accuracy is preserved, just the presentation is less informative.
No problem. That being said since it doesn't look like direct connect is required anymore to get accurate inventories for AY we have turned it off.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:52 am

What are the fare codes for Qatar awards in business or first on EF?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:52 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
What are the fare codes for Qatar awards in business or first on EF?
Qatar isn't listed on the Awards & Upgrade search because they do not share their award data.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:47 pm

New to EF Premium. Is there a simple way to copy/duplicate a flight alert? I was able to create flight alerts given date/airline/flight#/Class code, etc, however could only apply a single Class Code. Trying to avoid having to manually enter all the details lots of times to create alerts for all lower cost fare classes. Read through help guides and searched forums, but didn't find anything on how to do this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:41 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by lantern
New to EF Premium. Is there a simple way to copy/duplicate a flight alert? I was able to create flight alerts given date/airline/flight#/Class code, etc, however could only apply a single Class Code. Trying to avoid having to manually enter all the details lots of times to create alerts for all lower cost fare classes. Read through help guides and searched forums, but didn't find anything on how to do this.
No, but reentering data isn't necessary either. You can create an alert from the Flight Availability or Award search results pages. There you only have to enter a name, class, and quantity.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF WP
Random question but new to expertlfyer...

i have a booking to johannesburg with qantas in July next year. QF gold at present

MMB shows me in seat 5J
expertflyer showing that seat as available...

(the rest of the seatmap seems to broadly match up with occupied, blocked etc)

what’s going on?!

EDIT: worked it out. Had put date in DDMMYY instead of MMDDYY (duh!)

Last edited by nancypants; Dec 15, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.