ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:28 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
we already have that, it's called Saved Queries.
If I understood 747FC's post correctly, that isn't quite what was being suggested. Being able to initiate associated queries while viewing alerts would be new (and an enhancement IMO, if it can be done without making the display seem 'cluttered').

Last edited by IMH; Apr 7, 2016 at 12:06 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 747FC
From an end-user perspective: After manually checking a saved alert, and getting a negative result,,it would be nice to press a button to see the current seat map. This button would be right next to the manual check button.
Originally Posted by IMH
If I understood 747FC's post correctly, that isn't quite what was being suggested. Being able to initiate associated queries while viewing alerts would be new (and an enhacement IMO, if it can be done without making the display seem 'cluttered').
But as things stand, you can simply set up a seat map Saved Query as ExpertFlyer Voice suggests. After checking the Saved Alert, you simply go to the left hand side of the page, open the drop-down menu and call up the seat map.

That's two clicks, and avoids the need to manually enter all of the flight information on another page, which was 747FC's initial concern. Adding the button that 747FC suggested would only get the click count down to one.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But as things stand, you can simply set up a seat map Saved Query as ExpertFlyer Voice suggests. After checking the Saved Alert, you simply go to the left hand side of the page, open the drop-down menu and call up the seat map.

That's two clicks, and avoids the need to manually enter all of the flight information on another page, which was 747FC's initial concern. Adding the button that 747FC suggested would only get the click count down to one.
But you would still need to initially create a Saved Query, which is completely duplicating the information one puts into the Saved Alerts, no?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:49 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by IMH
If I understood 747FC's post correctly, that isn't quite what was being suggested. Being able to initiate associated queries while viewing alerts would be new (and an enhacement IMO, if it can be done without making the display seem 'cluttered').
Correct, the main issue would be clutter and even more confusion between the alert and saved query functions.

But you would still need to initially create a Saved Query, which is completely duplicating the information one puts into the Saved Alerts, no?
Yes, but you can do that on the same results page that you created the alert on, at the same time without an additional search.

We can surely look into an improvement, but the point is that you can do this today without additional searches.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you'd have to do that once (or you could click through to the seat map from a Flight Availability search).

But once you've done it, you've done it. I typically check the seat map several dozen times thereafter with just two clicks each time.

If you have to put in all of the information every time you called up the seat map, it would be much more annoying, I agree - and that seems like it was your initial concern.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:28 am

Correct, the main issue would be clutter and even more confusion between the alert and saved query functions.

Yes, but you can do that on the same results page that you created the alert on, at the same time without an additional search.

We can surely look into an improvement, but the point is that you can do this today without additional searches.
Yes, you'd have to do that once (or you could click through to the seat map from a Flight Availability search).

But once you've done it, you've done it. I typically check the seat map several dozen times thereafter with just two clicks each time.

If you have to put in all of the information every time you called up the seat map, it would be much more annoying, I agree - and that seems like it was your initial concern.
Perhaps I am missing something. Once I set up an alert for, e.g. UA 903 "O" class, 2 seats from SFO-FRA on 1/1/17, how do I then set up a seat map check without have to re-enter all the information? Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps I am missing something. Once I set up an alert for, e.g. UA 903 "O" class, 2 seats from SFO-FRA on 1/1/17, how do I then set up a seat map check without have to re-enter all the information?
You have to enter it once. Go to the seat map page, enter all the information to call up the correct seat map. On that page, type in a name for the search and put it into the "Query Name:" box near the top right hand corner of the page, and click Save Query. Next time, go to the Saved Queries list on the left hand side of the page, click on Seat Maps (which opens the drop-down list) and then click on the name that you gave that query. You'll then get the seat map.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:45 am

You have to enter it once. Go to the seat map page, enter all the information to call up the correct seat map. On that page, type in a name for the search and put it into the "Query Name:" box near the top right hand corner of the page, and click Save Query. Next time, go to the Saved Queries list on the left hand side of the page, click on Seat Maps (which opens the drop-down list) and then click on the name that you gave that query. You'll then get the seat map.
So, are you saying that in order to a Saved Alert for award inventory, and also a saved Seat Map check, I have to enter the same information twice on different screens? If so, that is what I am trying to avoid doing. Is this duplicate entry process required? Thank you.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:13 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Once I set up an alert for, e.g. UA 903 "O" class, 2 seats from SFO-FRA on 1/1/17, how do I then set up a seat map check without have to re-enter all the information?
I'd start the process differently. Search "Flight Availability" for your route, date(s) and airline(s). For each flight offered, the far right-hand column has an exclamation mark icon (which will allow you to set up an alert) and a seat map icon (which will take you to a seat map, including the option described above to allow you to save the underlying query).
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If so, that is what I am trying to avoid doing.
<redacted by moderator>

I thought from your first post that you were annoyed with filling in the seat map search information every time you wanted to look at the seat map. I agree that that would be annoying. <redacted by moderator>

If EF is going to introduce new features, I can think of quite a few which would be further up the importance list than this labour-saving device.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 7, 2016 at 3:47 pm Reason: Personal exchange
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:20 pm

<redacted by moderator>

I thought from your first post that you were annoyed with filling in the seat map search information every time you wanted to look at the seat map. I agree that that would be annoying. <redacted by moderator>

If EF is going to introduce new features, I can think of quite a few which would be further up the importance list than this labour-saving device.
Well, then, you seem quite capable to solicit those features. <redacted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 7, 2016 at 6:00 pm Reason: Unnecessary
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
I'd start the process differently. Search "Flight Availability" for your route, date(s) and airline(s). For each flight offered, the far right-hand column has an exclamation mark icon (which will allow you to set up an alert) and a seat map icon (which will take you to a seat map, including the option described above to allow you to save the underlying query).
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out when I have time.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out when I have time.
Yes, this is an alternative route to the seat map, as I suggested earlier:-
However, you will have to enter your route/date information into the Flight Availability search form to get the result. IMH is right that you can then both set up an alert and get to the seat map by one click each followed by saving each with a name; but this won't help to save keystrokes if you have already gone to the Saved Alerts page to do a manual check of an alert and you then want to see the seat map.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:02 pm

Again we need a live example so we can look at the data being delivered to us. We can't comment on something we can't replicate. Please email us a current example.

There could be other reasons why the airline website didn't allow you to reserve a specific seat, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the seat was occupied.
Ah ok, well I don't have any flights atm but will get in touch when I get my next one. Thanks .
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Air China 981 Seat Map

Air China seat map for CA 981 on 28 April appears to be incorrect on EF. I have seat 81 C upstairs on what I believe is a 747-8. Your map starts at row 85.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.