Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 24, 19, 2:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: IMH
Wiki Link
If you see the message "An unknown or unexpected error has occurred. Please contact us if this problem persists." while using ExpertFlyer, please contact ExpertFlyer support by email immediately so the problem may be resolved most quickly: [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 7, 16, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
If so, that is what I am trying to avoid doing.
<redacted by moderator>

I thought from your first post that you were annoyed with filling in the seat map search information every time you wanted to look at the seat map. I agree that that would be annoying. <redacted by moderator>

If EF is going to introduce new features, I can think of quite a few which would be further up the importance list than this labour-saving device.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 7, 16 at 3:47 pm Reason: Personal exchange
Old Apr 7, 16, 4:20 pm

Programs: Plat: UA; Gold: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Plat (now not), GE
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
<redacted by moderator>

I thought from your first post that you were annoyed with filling in the seat map search information every time you wanted to look at the seat map. I agree that that would be annoying. <redacted by moderator>

If EF is going to introduce new features, I can think of quite a few which would be further up the importance list than this labour-saving device.
Well, then, you seem quite capable to solicit those features. <redacted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 7, 16 at 6:00 pm Reason: Unnecessary
Old Apr 7, 16, 4:22 pm

Programs: Plat: UA; Gold: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Plat (now not), GE
Originally Posted by IMH View Post
I'd start the process differently. Search "Flight Availability" for your route, date(s) and airline(s). For each flight offered, the far right-hand column has an exclamation mark icon (which will allow you to set up an alert) and a seat map icon (which will take you to a seat map, including the option described above to allow you to save the underlying query).
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out when I have time.
Old Apr 8, 16, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out when I have time.
Yes, this is an alternative route to the seat map, as I suggested earlier:-
Yes, you'd have to do that once (or you could click through to the seat map from a Flight Availability search).
However, you will have to enter your route/date information into the Flight Availability search form to get the result. IMH is right that you can then both set up an alert and get to the seat map by one click each followed by saving each with a name; but this won't help to save keystrokes if you have already gone to the Saved Alerts page to do a manual check of an alert and you then want to see the seat map.
Old Apr 13, 16, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice View Post
Again we need a live example so we can look at the data being delivered to us. We can't comment on something we can't replicate. Please email us a current example.

There could be other reasons why the airline website didn't allow you to reserve a specific seat, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the seat was occupied.
Ah ok, well I don't have any flights atm but will get in touch when I get my next one. Thanks .
Old Apr 20, 16, 11:10 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Air China 981 Seat Map

Air China seat map for CA 981 on 28 April appears to be incorrect on EF. I have seat 81 C upstairs on what I believe is a 747-8. Your map starts at row 85.
Old Apr 20, 16, 2:31 pm
Company Representative - ExpertFlyer.com

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TheCount2 View Post
Air China seat map for CA 981 on 28 April appears to be incorrect on EF. I have seat 81 C upstairs on what I believe is a 747-8. Your map starts at row 85.
We were showing the exact seat map we were being sent by the reservation system, the issue is on their side. We switched CA seat maps to a different reservation system in the mean time.
Old Apr 25, 16, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice View Post
We were showing the exact seat map we were being sent by the reservation system, the issue is on their side. We switched CA seat maps to a different reservation system in the mean time.
The business class map for this flight is missing from your website. The First and Economy class maps do appear.
Old Apr 25, 16, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The business class map for this flight is missing from your website. The First and Economy class maps do appear.
I can see it. Business class has rows 11-15 and rows 80-87.
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing PEK on 28/04/16 for JFK
Flying CA flight 981 in First, Business, Economy

A   C       D   H       J   L   
11      -   -                   -   -       
12      -   -                   +   -       
13      -   -                   -   -       
14      +   +       -   -       +   +       
15      -   -       -   -       -   +       
80      -   -                   -   -       
81      +   -                   +   +       
82      +   +                   +   +       
83      -   -                   -   -       
84      +   -                   +   +       
85      +   -                   +   +       
86      +   +                   +   +       
87                              -   -       
        A   C       D   H       J   L
Old Apr 29, 16, 12:37 pm

I can see it. Business class has rows 11-15 and rows 80-87.
I could not see it at the time, but eventually received a seat alert from EF for the for which I had requested that alert. Perhaps the information provided by CA is sporadically incorrect or missing. My earlier post pointed out an incorrect seat map for the same flight.
Old Apr 29, 16, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps the information provided by CA is sporadically incorrect or missing.
Yes, this does happen. All that EF can do is faithfully report the information that it receives from the GDS. As always, don't shoot the messenger!
Old May 1, 16, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
I've had a recent back-and-forth with EF support over their implementation of a piece of software from distil networks, and am getting nowhere fast.

If I'm on a slow/laggy/crappy network link (e.g. 3G tethered or hotel wifi) I will often see this error. It seems to think I'm a hacker or robot or something. I am not, honest

Code:
Unable To Identify Your Browser

Due to recent suspicious activity from your computer we have blocked your access to http://www.expertflyer.com.
Please ensure that you have JavaScript and cookies enabled before continuing to access http://www.expertflyer.com.
You reached this page when attempting to access http://www.expertflyer.com from 110.168.229.65 on 2016-05-01 16:43:32 GMT.
Trace: D728587C-0FBB-11E6-9E96-94FE98FD275D (409) via a3ae3579-b569-4923-8b82-d3a2051c22e6; 0.000 / 1490
The problem with EF is when you need to use it, you often *really* need to use it urgently, and this is *very* frustrating, especially as it then blocks me for a period of time thereafter, even if my network link has improved.

Network links are often crappy when travelling and I accept that. I am ok with slow page loads, so long as I get the data I need. This piece of software seems to be registering false positives and 10 mins later I'm still locked out. Needless to say, every other website is working fine, if a little slowly.

</rant>

Last edited by sharp5flat9; May 1, 16 at 11:21 am
Old May 2, 16, 10:02 am

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9 View Post
I've had a recent back-and-forth with EF support over their implementation of a piece of software from distil networks, and am getting nowhere fast.

If I'm on a slow/laggy/crappy network link (e.g. 3G tethered or hotel wifi) I will often see this error. It seems to think I'm a hacker or robot or something. I am not, honest

Code:
Unable To Identify Your Browser

Due to recent suspicious activity from your computer we have blocked your access to http://www.expertflyer.com.
Please ensure that you have JavaScript and cookies enabled before continuing to access http://www.expertflyer.com.
You reached this page when attempting to access http://www.expertflyer.com from 110.168.229.65 on 2016-05-01 16:43:32 GMT.
Trace: D728587C-0FBB-11E6-9E96-94FE98FD275D (409) via a3ae3579-b569-4923-8b82-d3a2051c22e6; 0.000 / 1490
The problem with EF is when you need to use it, you often *really* need to use it urgently, and this is *very* frustrating, especially as it then blocks me for a period of time thereafter, even if my network link has improved.

Network links are often crappy when travelling and I accept that. I am ok with slow page loads, so long as I get the data I need. This piece of software seems to be registering false positives and 10 mins later I'm still locked out. Needless to say, every other website is working fine, if a little slowly.

</rant>
Hi sharp5flat9, we're sorry you're having issues, however as we discussed over email back in March the issue is that your browser isn't loading JavaScript. Since you can't use ExpertFlyer without loading JS in the first place, this generally isn't a problem and we haven't heard of this issue from other customers. Have you tried using a different browser to see if that helps? You can also try using the mobile site (from your regular full browser) at https://www.expertflyer.com/mobile/login.do Since it's a much smaller page load that may allow you to use EF without issue.

-EFV
Old May 3, 16, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Thank you for the reply. The mobile site looks sufficiently functional and much lighter weight. I have a decent 3G signal right now but I'll test it next time I don't.

The major pain is once the 'trap' has been inadvertantly sprung, I am blocked for a period of time (up to 30 mins in my experience the other evening) and there is no way back, other than to sit and wait, or try to change network (and so IP address). I assume this will apply to the mobile site too, unless that doesn't use the distil filter.

I assume this piece of software is primarily there to identify non-browser clients and implement rate-limiting, i.e. more queries than a human being could reasonably issue. That's always going to be a challenge with a fixed-price, all-you-can-eat payment plan.
Old May 3, 16, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9 View Post
Thank you for the reply. The mobile site looks sufficiently functional and much lighter weight. I have a decent 3G signal right now but I'll test it next time I don't.

The major pain is once the 'trap' has been inadvertantly sprung, I am blocked for a period of time (up to 30 mins in my experience the other evening) and there is no way back, other than to sit and wait, or try to change network (and so IP address). I assume this will apply to the mobile site too, unless that doesn't use the distil filter.

I assume this piece of software is primarily there to identify non-browser clients and implement rate-limiting, i.e. more queries than a human being could reasonably issue. That's always going to be a challenge with a fixed-price, all-you-can-eat payment plan.
If the issue was just velocity of searches you would see a simple CAPTCHA that you could answer and then continue. The block you are seeing only happens when the system thinks the agent is a bot due to lack of JavaScript loading.

Search this Thread