FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Tools (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/)
-   -   ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools/1297709-expertflyer-com-help-desk-thread.html)

ExpertFlyer Voice Oct 14, 2012 8:51 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 19492017)
So, it's not possible to just set a Flight Alert to ping me the next time any award inventory opens up on a specified flight - only when inventory opens up for that flight on a specified day? If, for example, I wanted to be alerted if/when inventory opened up on a specific flight any time in the next two weeks, I would need to set up 14 different alerts for that flight - one for every day in the next 2 weeks?

Thanks.

Yes that is correct. Since each day requires a separate GDS search, that is the only way we can offer the alerting functionality.

taliesin Oct 26, 2012 4:47 pm

I am trying to get a flight in A class (discount BusinessFirst) on the United 787 SFO-IAH next month. Two days ago this flight was available; I should have put it on hold, but I didn't. Anyway, now united.com shows only fares in F on this flight (at the corresponding higher price). But ExpertFlyer shows "F9 A9 Z1 P1," which to me says there should be tons of discount fares available. Why can't I find them? What is ExpertFlyer searching that the United website can't see?

ExpertFlyer Voice Oct 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by taliesin (Post 19572347)
I am trying to get a flight in A class (discount BusinessFirst) on the United 787 SFO-IAH next month. Two days ago this flight was available; I should have put it on hold, but I didn't. Anyway, now united.com shows only fares in F on this flight (at the corresponding higher price). But ExpertFlyer shows "F9 A9 Z1 P1," which to me says there should be tons of discount fares available. Why can't I find them? What is ExpertFlyer searching that the United website can't see?

Did you use the Fare Information search to see if there are valid fares in those fare classes for your dates of travel and that you meet their advanced purchase requirement? You need both available fare class inventory and a valid published fare to actually book a fare.

taliesin Oct 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice (Post 19572394)
Did you use the Fare Information search to see if there are valid fares in those fare classes for your dates of travel and that you meet their advanced purchase requirement? You need both available fare class inventory and a valid published fare to actually book a fare.

No, I was not aware I could do that. (I am new to ExpertFlyer.) So A9 doesn't necessarily mean anything, since their might not actually be any A seats for sale?

Now that I look at it, the Fare Information page doesn't seem to show all available fares. Does it only show non-stop flights?

Edit: OK, I see now. The fare code with the (relatively) low A fares is HUAUPN, and when I read the rules, sure enough one of the rules is: "THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:
UA FLIGHTS 132 THROUGH 133"
And sure enough my preferred outbound is on UA 132. But two things strike me: one, the return flight on the 787 is not excluded from this fare; and two, this fare was available for UA 132 just a couple days ago. Are these rules being revised constantly according to some arcane logic?

ExpertFlyer Voice Oct 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by taliesin (Post 19572434)
No, I was not aware I could do that. (I am new to ExpertFlyer.) So A9 doesn't necessarily mean anything, since their might not actually be any A seats for sale?

Now that I look at it, the Fare Information page doesn't seem to show all available fares. Does it only show non-stop flights?

Edit: OK, I see now. The fare code with the (relatively) low A fares is HUAUPN, and when I read the rules, sure enough one of the rules is: "THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:
UA FLIGHTS 132 THROUGH 133"
And sure enough my preferred outbound is on UA 132. But two things strike me: one, the return flight on the 787 is not excluded from this fare; and two, this fare was available for UA 132 just a couple days ago. Are these rules being revised constantly according to some arcane logic?

Fares are not flight specific, they are published fare tariffs. Please read our EduGuide for information about the relationship between fares and fare classes: http://www.expertflyer.com/edu-guide.pdf

Also note in our FAQ: http://www.expertflyer.com/expertflyer-support-faq

ExpertFlyer shows availability for a specific fare bucket (e.g., "Q"), but there isn't a corresponding fare listed. Why not?

Usually, it is because you see a fare class listed for a flight, but you cannot book it because it's not available on the routing you are flying.

For example, there may be a fare class available from A-B-C ('N' for example) but that fare class may not be bookable from B-C. It may show as available, but that's only to accommodate people flying A-B-C in that fare class. If you're just trying to go from B-C, it won't be bookable even though it shows as available.

Also, advance purchase requirements and other fare restrictions may be a factor. If N shows available, and that particular N fare has a 21 day advance purchase requirement, you won't be able to book if the dates you want to travel are outside that window.
If you would like specific help, then please post the specific dates and flights you are referring to.

taliesin Oct 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice (Post 19572833)
If you would like specific help, then please post the specific dates and flights you are referring to.

Well, I don't know how much help anyone could be, since it doesn't seem like the flight is available, at least not right now. Mostly I was just trying to understand the apparent conflict between what I could see on ExpertFlyer vs united.com.

But if there is any advice, I would like to fly, preferably in A class:

UA 132 SFO-IAH 11/17 (overnight flight)
UA 1610 IAH-TPA 11/18

UA 1095 TPA-IAH 11/25
UA 1478 IAH-SFO 11/25

The return is available, and there are routings for SFO-TPA departing 11/17 that book into A (with the aforementioned fare code HUAUPN that excludes flight 132 and apparently any other SFO-IAH flights). Like I said before, both UA 132 and UA 1610 show A9, but apparently that does me no good here.

Is there a way to set up an alert to let me know if an A fare does become available?

ExpertFlyer Voice Oct 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by taliesin (Post 19572955)
The return is available, and there are routings for SFO-TPA departing 11/17 that book into A (with the aforementioned fare code HUAUPN that excludes flight 132 and apparently any other SFO-IAH flights). Like I said before, both UA 132 and UA 1610 show A9, but apparently that does me no good here.

Is there a way to set up an alert to let me know if an A fare does become available?

I'm sorry I missed that before, yes that is the reason why for the outbound segments only an F fare is applied. However if you price it on UA.com, you'll see that an A fare is applied for the return trip as neither of those flight numbers are on the exclusion list.

No I'm sorry we don't have alerts that cover changes in fare rules.

terminalfive Oct 28, 2012 6:17 am

Nooooo... the 15% discount has just expired..

Can you confirm that it was valid until 26/10/2012?

Frequentflyer99 Oct 28, 2012 10:21 am

Are there any more discount codes for loyal FTer's ?? ;)

FriendlySkies Nov 1, 2012 9:10 pm

I've been trying to set an alert for LH 446 FRA-DEN on 1/16, but keep getting the message that this is an invalid flight. I've confirmed that the flight is operating that day (and the flight number has always been 446).

Any ideas? :)

ExpertFlyer Voice Nov 1, 2012 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 19608805)
I've been trying to set an alert for LH 446 FRA-DEN on 1/16, but keep getting the message that this is an invalid flight. I've confirmed that the flight is operating that day (and the flight number has always been 446).

Any ideas? :)

I just created an alert for that flight using the Create New Flight Alert page and it worked, you could have typed something wrong on the form. The easier way would be to create the alert from the Flight Availability result page.

dcman2 Nov 5, 2012 6:54 am

new user

I'm a new user to ExpertFlyer, I have a premium subscription - Please forgive my question if the answer is obvious to you. Be assured I've tried to do my part and I've spent quite a bit of time reading over users guides and knocking around the site trying to figure out what to do, and I'm still pretty confused.

I'm working on a fairly complicated itinerary for a family vacation next year. It involves travel across the US, to Asia, and to Hawaii, but isn't particularly "easy" and doesn't fit clearly into the round-trip routes that come up on Expertflyer. It involves a fairly big round trip, with stopovers of several days in several cities along the way. In general, should I be looking at doing a series of one-way trips or should I try to jerry-rig a round-trip with stopovers and extra flights on the side (for side trips)? Also, I'm flying out of a fairly small town, but if I put in a round trip flight from my feeder airport somehow fares come up from groups like All Nippon and Singapore, but I cannot access them on their sites. I'm very confused by this.

No matter what I try, the fares I find are more than what come up on Orbitz, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I just cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on.

I'm open to any suggestions and advice.

dcman2

aktchi Nov 5, 2012 7:20 am

Originally Posted by dcman2 (Post 19626634)

For starters, I'd suggest posting the itinerary you are trying to book.

nbevan Nov 5, 2012 7:25 am

What information are you trying to obtain from ExpertFlyer (for example that you are not getting from Orbitz)?

http://matrix.itasoftware.com is a good tool for exploring complicated itineraries (but needs some time to find out how to get the best out of it).

dcman2 Nov 5, 2012 8:09 am

Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 19626743)
For starters, I'd suggest posting the itinerary you are trying to book.

Exact dates somewhat flexible - June 2013

6/5 ELM-PDX

6/11 PDX-TYO

6/22 TYO-HNL

6/27 HNL-ELM

So, it goes all over, and the pdx stop throws off some of the usual routings. Any suggestions as to strategies on how to use expertflyer would be helpful. I'm not asking or expecting anyone to do the work for me, I'd rather learn how to use the software and some guidance as to how to go about this would be helpful. (I'm a big believer that if you give a man a fish you feed him for a day, if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime).

dcman2