Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: IMH
Wiki Link
If you see the message "An unknown or unexpected error has occurred. Please contact us if this problem persists." while using ExpertFlyer, please contact ExpertFlyer support by email immediately so the problem may be resolved most quickly: [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 20, 15, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
how do i create an award seat alert on CX using AA miles?
Old Feb 20, 15, 2:38 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 View Post
how do i create an award seat alert on CX using AA miles?
CX does not release award seats to EF. You will have to call AAdvantage with your dates.
Old Feb 20, 15, 7:59 pm
Company Representative - ExpertFlyer.com

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by angatol View Post
In flight availability, if I put in SEA-LHR, Direct/Non-Stop Only, BA only, no interline connections, why does it give me connections in DFW, ORD and YVR? That latter with an AS code and metal.
Because that is what BA is returning. When you specify BA as the only airline we do a direct search with the BA host, bypassing the GDS level availability. The airlines sometimes ignore certain parameters of the search.
Old Feb 23, 15, 3:23 pm
Formerly known as awald

In need of help

I am new to Expert Flyer and have been struggling to figure this all out. I am trying to book a flight from NYC to BKK leaving 11/30/15 and returning 12/12/15.

I looked at the fare availability on UA and see that there is a Class K fare (KLX37GM0) at a round trip price of $561.

Then I go to the Flight Availability section and look for flights between NYC and BKK on the set dates and see that Class K has seats available on multiple UA flights.

Now when I go to book it via United.com I cannot find these seats. Please help. This getting to be incredibly frustrating.

Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 15, 5:47 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by awald View Post
Now when I go to book it via United.com I cannot find these seats. Please help. This getting to be incredibly frustrating.
First of all, the fare shown on EF does not include taxes and fees.

Secondly, the fare you want does not allow Asia->US travel on Saturday:

TO AREA 1 - PERMITTED MON/TUE/WED/THU ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.
Finally, and most importantly, the fare code you want expires on 30NOV15 -- it simply isn't valid for a flight on 12/12.

If you book a flight on UA.com, you'll see you get the fare code you want on the outbound.. just not on the return.

Greg
Old Feb 24, 15, 12:14 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 1:44 am
Old Feb 24, 15, 2:22 am

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Thanks for the explanation, but don't you think it's up to EF to filter the return values and satisfy the query parameters that the user asked for?
It would be nice but may increase their cost. Anyway, while conducting any search, be it at EF, ITA, Google, or even non-travel stuff at Amazon, I like them to search a little beyond my parameters, just in case it uncovers some exceptional opportunity. If not, I can always ignore these extra results.

The classic case is someone who thinks he prefers a nonstop, but hasn't paused to consider if that preference would hold in case a 1-stop was available at ½ the price? Similarly at ITA people get carried by powerful advanced routing language: one might specify 90 min minimum connection time, but again would one have really minded an 85 min connection at ½ the price?

That's why I want such services to provide information, but not make many and if possible any judgment calls. For judgments I prefer the buck to stop with me---and before stopping, keep moving to me.
Old Feb 24, 15, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
It would be nice but may increase their cost.
They already have the data in a sortable, selectable way. It's probably ten minutes of work.

Anyway, while conducting any search, be it at EF, ITA, Google, or even non-travel stuff at Amazon, I like them to search a little beyond my parameters, just in case it uncovers some exceptional opportunity. If not I can always ignore these extra results.

The classic case is someone who thinks he prefers a nonstop, but hasn't paused to think if that preference would hold in case a 1-stop was available at ½ the price? Similarly at ITA people get carried by powerful advanced routing language: you might specify 90 min minimum connection time, but again would you have really minded an 85 min connection at ½ the price?
If I specify a nonstop or a 90 minute minimum connection then that is precisely what I wanted. Were I willing to take an 85 minute connection then I would have said so. It's like when ITA offers me a four hour flight in Y when I explicitly said J or higher, saving me 4 GBP: no thanks. Or when ba.com thinks I might want to fly to CDG instead of ORY. Were I willing to do that, I would have said PAR not ORY as my destination. These little things do really annoy me because they waste my time.

That's why I want such services to provide information, but not make many and if possible any judgment calls. For judgments I prefer the buck to stop with me.
It's up to you to widen your search parameters. In this case, the service is actually making a decision for you now to show you some extra results and not others. We don't really know why it picks certain things outside the specified parameters, so really you have more uncertainty on whether you have obtained the best result than you had if it had done what you had asked.
Old Feb 24, 15, 2:51 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 12:44 am
Old Feb 24, 15, 5:41 am

I just want a service that provides what it says it's going to provide. If I ask for non-stop BA flights between city pairs, and the service says that's what it's going to provide me with, then indirect flights on Alaska metal, not even with a BA codeshare, seem totally inappropriate to return. If it were me, I'd certainly filter out anything incorrectly returned from the GDS.
ExpertFlyer is "expert" flyer, it is designed for people that have a good understanding of travel reservation concepts and systems. I subscribe to EF precisely because of this. EF is designed to show exactly what the GDS returns and that is what I expect of it. I do not want EF adding any filters in front of whatever the GDS returns.

Now having said that, I do think it would be helpful to have enhanced sorting and filtering options on the results page, much like you can do on ITA Software's results page.

DAK
Old Feb 24, 15, 6:10 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 1:03 am
Old Feb 24, 15, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by dkerr View Post
I do not want EF adding any filters in front of whatever the GDS returns.

Now having said that, I do think it would be helpful to have enhanced sorting and filtering options on the results page, much like you can do on ITA Software's results page.

DAK
I can see there is some force in this argument.
Old Feb 24, 15, 6:46 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold, Accor & IHG Plat, Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by dkerr View Post
it would be helpful to have enhanced sorting and filtering options on the results page
Indeed.

Or a radio button on the search page: "I really have thought about my search criteria and would like results that meet them."
Old Feb 24, 15, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If EF offered me a command line to be able to type GDS queries and retrieve responses, I'd be more than happy with that.
Wouldn't you just end up being equally unhappy with the GDS for returning the same irrelevant results?

I can't see why this is an issue provided that the flights that match your request are returned, and returned at the top of the list. If you're looking for BA non-stops, IME they will be.
Old Feb 24, 15, 7:20 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 1:40 am

Search this Thread