Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:41 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CaptRobPhD
On monthly Pro subscription. Past couple of days I've been eyeballing the TG availability PVG-BKK-PEK (10 Apr 14/17 Apr 14) and there have been sufficient seats for me to book two business award tix. As of just a wee bit ago, those flights don't exist +/-3 days [flight availability] let alone award availability. This a normal hiccup time of month as TG massages it's spring schedule or user error? The Thai Airlines website still shows 2x flights each of those days, each direction.
TG was having issues due to their host system migration, the issue should now be fixed. If you run into any further issues searching for TG please email us.

Last edited by ExpertFlyer Voice; Oct 13, 2013 at 2:51 pm
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Ah...

..sure enough worked today.

PS: In my best Monty Python voice, "Are you trying to say host systems are migratory?"
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:46 pm

I'm working on a complex itinerary and have used my 30 available alerts. I see the option to purchase additional alerts for $.99 - can you explain how this works?

I assume this is a one-time fee, and the alert will remain active until the alert expires? If the alert notifies do you need to pay again to reactivate it, or can it be reactivated for free so long as it does not expire?

Thanks for any insight!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:50 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CFFrost
I'm working on a complex itinerary and have used my 30 available alerts. I see the option to purchase additional alerts for $.99 - can you explain how this works?

I assume this is a one-time fee, and the alert will remain active until the alert expires? If the alert notifies do you need to pay again to reactivate it, or can it be reactivated for free so long as it does not expire?

Thanks for any insight!
Alerts, paid or not, are Active until they either expire (the flight departs) or they find the inventory they were looking for. Resubmitting a Notified alert is the same as creating a new one, so it would result in another charge as a new alert if you already have 30 Active alerts at the time.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Just renewed my subscription so am a little out of touch, looking at an upcoming BA flight I'm looking for availability in W, E & T and I see:

BA 117 0 LHR
11/01/13 8:25 AM JFK
11/01/13 12:05 PM 744
Unavailable
58% / 19m F9 A9 J9 C9 D4 W0 Y3 B3 M0 G0
But for later flights I see for example:

F8 A8 J9 C9 D9 W9 E9 T6 Y9 B9 H9 K8 M4 L1 O4 G0
So things like fare code T shows 6 seats on the later flight but T & E don't even show as T0 or E0 on the earlier flight, whereas there is W0, M0, G0. Is there any reason for that?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:03 am

So is it impossible to search for Economy awards for those airlines that only show "Business" as a checkbox when searching for awards (e.g., Iberia)?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:17 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
So is it impossible to search for Economy awards for those airlines that only show "Business" as a checkbox when searching for awards (e.g., Iberia)?
The Award and Upgrade classes that are available for searching are listed in the Award & Upgrade search tool. The only other source for the data online is airline websites.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
The Award and Upgrade classes that are available for searching are listed in the Award & Upgrade search tool. The only other source for the data online is airline websites.
Apologies for being dense. Can I interpret you response as "ExpertFlyer will only show you Business Class award availability for Iberia. If you want to find Economy class award availability for Iberia, you should use something other than ExpertFlyer for that particular search."?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:46 pm

Type in Denver foR an award search and two airports come up: DEN (Denver International) and Buckley Air National Guard Base, which I do not believe has any commercial flights. Often typing Den on a mobile device results in Buckley.

Any way to just have Denver be DEN?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:42 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
Apologies for being dense. Can I interpret you response as "ExpertFlyer will only show you Business Class award availability for Iberia. If you want to find Economy class award availability for Iberia, you should use something other than ExpertFlyer for that particular search."?
That is exactly what we said.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:47 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Type in Denver foR an award search and two airports come up: DEN (Denver International) and Buckley Air National Guard Base, which I do not believe has any commercial flights. Often typing Den on a mobile device results in Buckley.

Any way to just have Denver be DEN?
Both our website and mobile website match on airport code before name, so typing in "den" instead of "Denver" will do the trick, and it's less to type. A full airport city or name is never required.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:28 pm

Pardon if this is an overly simple question, but I am having a hard time determining the difference between "awards and upgrades", "award/upgrade", and "award" when setting award alerts.

Specifically, I set an alert (labeled as an "award & upgrade" alert) for JNB-ZRH on LX 289 09/22/13 for two passengers in business (I).

Today, the alert notified, but the flight does not appear on the UA site. I realized this might not be the right type of alert for partner availability (I will be booking with United miles) but am confused as to how I should have set this alert. When I search again for the same segment on EF the site returns with "The flight details provided do not match any scheduled flight." Checking on the LX site, the flight is in fact a scheduled flight. What gives there?

So, I suppose the question is, is the only way to set alerts for partner availability through the "awards and upgrades" tool and selecting "Star Alliance" as the airline? And, secondarily, is it only possible to set this type of alert if the flight is already available (in at least one class of service)?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:24 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Pardon if this is an overly simple question, but I am having a hard time determining the difference between "awards and upgrades", "award/upgrade", and "award" when setting award alerts.

Specifically, I set an alert (labeled as an "award & upgrade" alert) for JNB-ZRH on LX 289 09/22/13 for two passengers in business (I).

Today, the alert notified, but the flight does not appear on the UA site. I realized this might not be the right type of alert for partner availability (I will be booking with United miles) but am confused as to how I should have set this alert. When I search again for the same segment on EF the site returns with "The flight details provided do not match any scheduled flight." Checking on the LX site, the flight is in fact a scheduled flight. What gives there?

So, I suppose the question is, is the only way to set alerts for partner availability through the "awards and upgrades" tool and selecting "Star Alliance" as the airline? And, secondarily, is it only possible to set this type of alert if the flight is already available (in at least one class of service)?
There is only one type of alert, however you have two separate problems. First, as noted on the top of the Create New Flight Alert page:

Flight Alerts for flights departing greater than 331 days from today must be created via the Flight Availability or Awards & Upgrades results pages using the (!) button.
Since 9/22/14 is > 331 days from today, you get that error message, as such, create the alert from one of the search results pages.

Second, uniquely for LX, any alert you create for it is the equivalent of doing an Award & Upgrade search and selecting LX as the airline, which is the Miles & More inventory, not Star Alliance inventory. Since *A is not an airline, you can't currently create an alert for LX award inventory from the *A point of view.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:42 pm

Newbie Question

Can someone explain why when I search for LH SEA FRA the available classes doesn't include O and I even though space is available?

I checked by using UA.com then just to be sure set an alert and EF instantly sent me a message indicating there is space. But when I do a search its not there.

Must be I'm dense about how the interface works.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:56 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Seat alert - specific seats

Is the EF specific seat an AND search or an OR search? Ie if I choose 13A,13B,13C will it notify me if any one of those opens up or only if all of them do? If the former, is there a way to set up a seat alert that will only notify you when all 3 become available?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.